• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Selling Christmas baking

CanadianBakin'

Rough estimate on the biscotti orders this season (Oct-Dec) was about 45-50 kg, mostly in 100 gm bags, so, about 450 packages. This was the first year I could work in a commercial kitchen, which presented a whole new set of logistical challenges.

Pricing will be revised for 2009 holiday season sales.

Wow!!

How did your baking go this year, Randi? And did you end up doing Christmas cakes?

I did pretty well. I did better last year. I brought in $379.00, I probably spent 50 on ingredients I sold a lot of 12.00 pumpkin roulades. I need to raise my price on those next year, the profit margin wasnt very high. I only sold 1 xmas cake. I bought tons of candied fruit too( It will keep for next year). The recipe I used made 2 and I gave one to my Mother in law.

I didnt advertise fudge, but someone asked me if I could make some. I used Chefette's recipe( which I got from Kim Shook's recipe website). It came out really well. It made close to 3lbs and I sold it for 20.00. I used the cheap chocolate I got at Tomric( thanks Kerry).

We made tons of Jayme's caramel popcorn for gifts. Next year I'll sell it. Last year I sold a lot more of the buttercrunch that I made w/ Kerry. I have tons of that left this year. Maybe I'll advertise it again for Vday. I'll probably just skip that next year.

All in all, I'm pretty happy. I was able to make my cookie doughs early and freeze them. When it came time for ppl to pick up their baking, I baked off the cookies so they'd be fresh.