• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Munchies

snowangel

No cooking can apply (think motel, no kitchen, no nuker, no fridge -- but we will have a cooler with dry ice!), which is why I post in this forum.

What do you serve with cocktails? We're not sure yet which cocktail to serve, but we're leaning to a martini. We're not leaning toward a citrusy cocktail.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

If you're going with Martinis, I'd recommend a mix of several different kinds of olives marinated in olive oil with some caperberries, lemon zest, garlic cloves, and a pinch of peppercorns and/or dried chilies. Of course, then it would be a sin not to have a crusty baguette to sop up the flavored oil.

Edited by jmfangio (log)

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

These are all great ideas, and I recommend the baguette for soaking up the oil, because bread provides ballast. The cheese platter is a great idea for the same reason -- protein and food value. I've attended some martini parties myself and I know no cocktail makes you hungrier or drunker. As the divine Dorothy Parker said:

I like to have a martini,

Two at the very most.

After three I'm under the table,

after four I'm under my host.

Bread, cheese, olives, cold cuts, spiced nuts. Cheers!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

when I'm making cocktail munchies, they fall into one of two catagogries for me:

Aperatifs: This is if I'm making guests a cocktail as an apero before dinner and I just want something small to offer along-side the apero. It's just to give people a little taste while they are drinking. I'll serve a small bowl of the things mentioned above: nuts, olives, etc. I'll try and jazz up things a bit (for example, toast pecans in a bit of butter & sprinkle with a nice salt), cut various hard cheeses into cubes, beetroots cut into cubes (apparently I like things in cubes). I don't serve bread and things for this because there's a meal coming after.

Cocktail evenings: This is when people are coming over for cocktails and not necessarily a meal, but I want cocktail munchies that are much more elaborate and filling. Here I'll make more elaborate munchies (trying for a balance of cheese, veggie/fruit and meat based things)

I'm not sure which of those two your cocktail munchies fall under.

If just an apero before something more filling, I'd probably not try and do anything to difficult, but look for one or two very simple but nice things (any of the above-mentioned things, but really special. Some exceptional olives, nuts, etc). Or popcorn flavored with something interesting. I know you don't have a microwave or oven, but you could pop this in advance and dress onsite. (not as fresh I know, but we're working with limited resources here)

If you're looking for something more substantial than a few nibbles, what are you pre-preparation possibilities? Can you make some things ahead and transport them in the cooler?

For toasts, you can slice and toast baguette a day or so in advance and store in a ziploc bag and top with something fun while there. Recently I did (and I can't remember where I found the recipe - maybe F&W, but I'm sure you could find something on the internet) toasts topped with duck rillettes and then a beetroot salsa on top of that.

I also like dried apricots squished up next to a little soft cheese (chevre) and wrapped in pork-product on a toothpic (this you wouldn't make beforehand, but I"m also wondering about your shopping possibilities - can you just pick these things up or bring them and then construct while you are there) Although, personally, I'd like the rillettes/beetroot better with the martini.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

thinking of small, tasty, portable things you can stuff in your mouth in one bite, another thing I really like (although the are a bit oily/messy) are stuffed grape leaves. Now, I don't go so far as to make them myself, but they are something that you can buy in a can, keep a long time and transport easily...no need for refridgeration, just open and serve (with napkins).

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Ham rollups come to mind; sliced ham spread with scallion cream cheese (either homemade or Philadelphia out of a tub) rolled like a jelly roll and cut in 1/3's for serving. You can mix damn near ANY thing with cream cheese for this and it's all good. I've done it with pineapple, apricots, roasted red peppers, any left over roasted veggies, apples, diced up, etc. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I was thinking along the ham line myself, though more in the prosciutto neighborhood. The right balance depends a bit on how you fix your martinis (forceful gin like Beefeater or something softer like Plymouth, olive brine or no, etc.). With a softer gin, reasonable amount of vermouth and little to no brine, I would think you might have some luck wrapping the prosciutto around figs. Anything more powerful, though, and I'd think you might want to move toward the savory camp -- maybe a little prosciutto with fresh mozzarella, olive oil and salt (and sliced tomato and basil if you want to go all the way with this)? Possibly even a "sandwich platter" with various components scaled to cocktail size and let guests assemble their own?

If you choose, instead of martinis, a cocktail with a bit of fresh citrus, then a whole realm of additional fruit pairings opens up.

The Spirits and Cocktails group has a few discussions that are relevant. As a start, you might look here for inspiration.

Steve Morgan

[T]he cocktail was originally intended as a brief drink, a quick aperitif to stimulate appetite and stiffen the flagging gustatory senses, but it has passed into accustomed usage as a drink to be absorbed in considerable quantity despite the admonitions of the judicious. -- Lucius Beebe