• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a large/huge pot

JaneMC

It's hard for me to explain what I'm after. I know it's not a stock pot. I have a 12 quart, 8 quart and so on with them. The sides are too high for what I'm wanting to do. But I did find a picture in a book I have....I really hate to say, it but it's in Martha Stewart's Chirstmas book (1989?) on page 121 in the center. I like the copper one but the one next to it is nice also. Does anyone have a store in the Chicago or New York area that sells such a thing? Chicago a lot closer to me but I'm planning on visiting New York either this fall or next year in the spring.

Thank You for you help.

Jane

Have you looked around in restaurant supply stores?  It sounds like what you are looking for may be a commercial product.

I have looked at restaurant supply stores in the St. Louis area that is open to the public and nothing.

Jane

I don't have the book -- can you explain what you're looking for a little more?  A stock pot with shorter sides?

I have some of these braizers -- is that close?

Well I will be honest I haven't seen one....so I'm not sure of the size. But in the book she calls them, "two huge casseroles" they take up at least 2 burners. One is copper and the other I don't know what it is grey in color. I'm wanting to make soup and cassoulet for 30-60 people in them. It's too hard with the pans I have. I do live in St. Louis area and I have been to the stores that are open to the public and nothing that I see even comes close. I know this will be a high end investment (I need a very heavy pan, I ruin them other wise....don't ask not a good story, you know firemen and so on invovled more then once!) The sides are lower but not real low they look wide or should I say, round. Hope this helps.

Jane

I think your best bet is the large Magnalite roaster. It is a heavy cast piece that covers two burners and can also be used in the oven.

magnalite roaster

I have the larger ones, both the 18 in and the 21 inch and have cooked chili/soup/stew for a huge crowd in both.

A friend who is visiting just told me that Ace hardware stores have the 18 inch Mag. roaster at most stores.

You might try calling one near you, I think they are nationwide.

I just pulled the 18 inch roaster out of the pantry and poured 15 quarts of water into it. There was 1 1/2 inch of freeboard so it should hold 16 quarts easily. (I had a 3-quart measure handy.)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you everyone for your help! Well I've been checking the internet with the links and keywords and none of them looked right. So what I did was e-mail Martha (yes I know she didn't reply) yesterday and I have a reply already. Now that was fast. It's called casserole and it's at least 14 quarts and probably 16 quarts. At least now I have a little more to go on. The hunt is still on.

Gotta love the internet.

Jane

Thank you everyone for your help! Well I've been checking the internet with the links and keywords and none of them looked right. So what I did was e-mail Martha (yes I know she didn't reply) yesterday and I have a reply already. Now that was fast. It's called casserole and it's at least 14 quarts and probably 16 quarts. At least now I have a little more to go on. The hunt is still on.

Gotta love the internet.

Jane

This remarkable vessel might suit your needs. I know that it mine and my grandmother's for better than, at least, 70 years, between the two of us.

I would post some pictures of it in action, but it would seem that all of the photos that accompanied the foodblog that I did in another life don't exist anymore, or at least they don't work. I don't know how this works, but they are still in photogullet. I'll axe someone with more knowledge than me and get them back up

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I think one of these braziers from Surfas might be what you are looking for.

available in 10, 15, 20, 30 and 40(!) quart sizes with prices ranging from $42-$83.

Although not local to you Surfas ships everywhere and shipping is usually quite reasonable.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Perhaps the largest French ovens might also work.

I have the largest Staub oval oven and the capacity to the rim is 12.75 quarts. I have used it for stews and it will hold at maximum about 50 8 ounce servings and that is chancy.

It is also considerably more expensive.

It doesn't fully cover two burners on my cooktop.

gallery_17399_60_181410.jpg

The braziers carried at Surfas are an excellent buy. I am sure most restaurant supply stores will carry similar items.

There is one of the supersized Magnalite roasters on ebay. It is the 4269 model which is the largest made.

The one I measured for my earlier post is a bit smaller and has less capacity.

Extra large Magnalite Roaster

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett