• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Measuring spoons should be easy. Right?

paulraphael

I work a few blocks from Bridge Kitchenware in NYC, and picked up a professional looking set of measuring spoons last week. Simple, stainless steel, flush rims for leveling off ingredients, markings in teaspoons and mililiters.

So I was surprised to discover that they're completely innacurate. I only noticed because I was putting together a recipe by weight, with a 0.1g resolution kitchen scale, using the tablespoon as a scoop. The numbers didn't look right. So I weighed a level tablespoon 15ml of water. I would expect it weigh pretty close to 15g, but it weighed 11g.

My other set of measuring spoons--cheap and sloppy looking--was imperfect but came close to 15g.

What's up with this? I assume I should be able to return the things.

Notes from the underbelly

I've got a set of measuring spoons I bought at the dollar store, lovely stainless, but totally wrong. The 1/2 tsp measure is about a tsp. The tsp measure closer to 2 tsp. Still usable, but not if you are trying to teach someone to cook.

I use those rectangular stainless steel spoons that are intended to fit into spice jars. I measured on my .1g scale. I came up with 13.6 for 1T of water. But now even with all of the relatively sensitive pastry work that I do I think this is a fools journey. First, how comfortable are we with our scales. Second, water clinged to my spoon that wouldn't go into the measuring cup. It's just too imperfect. It takes me full circle - weigh everything (when it matters), calibrate your scale, and have reasonable, but blind faith, that the scale is correct.

It's just too imperfect.  It takes me full circle - weigh everything (when it matters), calibrate your scale, and have reasonable, but blind faith, that the scale is correct.

I agree, in general. I prefer to use a scale. But seems to me that a measuring spoon shouldn't be off by 30%. Especially a professional looking one sold by NYC's most expensive cookware store.

What about your cup measures too?

Isnt it only an issue if your recipes are not turning out OK?

If you use the same set of cups and spoons all the time, then the error is constant.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I groaned as soon as I clicked on this thread and read it, because I knew I would not rest until I checked my measuring spoons.

I weighed water from the spoons into a dish set on my digital scale, and all my spoons checked out. They were right on the money, from the chintzy spoons I bought for my first apt decades ago, to the fancy shmancy spoons a friend bought me for Xmas.

gallery_50011_5244_167959.jpg

I allowed 15g water for 1 TB, 5g for 1 tsp, and so on. See the water droplets on the spoons?

One should aim for precision in baking, but I have always thought that a 10% leeway in measurements for a home baker is OK. Recipes do have some wiggle room. Shirley Corriher in Cookwise mentions a 20% span for a balanced butter cake recipe. Of course a small distortion is a big distortion for anyone baking in large quantities, such as professional bakers.

With that in mind, I will not check my measuring cups. Period.

I will let go and trust in the Force.

I own these these. I really like them and, yes, I think they look pretty cool. But have I also been duped? I mean who wouldn't like to be able to actually tell someone to add a smidgen of this or a pinch of that and actually be able to quantify it? I didn't buy these from this website but from QVC for a much lower price which no longer sells them.

Now, because of this truly controversial and disburbing thread, :hmmm: I feel guilty and foolish and dopey and just plain wrong. So, to quote Quiltguy how do you "measure the measure?"

I'm keeping these though 'cause I still think they look pretty damn cool. :biggrin:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I weighed water from the spoons into a dish set on my digital scale, and all my spoons checked out. They were right on the money, from the chintzy spoons I bought for my first apt decades ago, to the fancy shmancy spoons a friend bought me for Xmas.

Ok, great! Pre-tested. So tell me which ones to get.

I'm looking for simple stainless ones with a flat rim (easy to level off). And ones that I can find easily. Surely one of the sets in your collection fits the bill.

Ok, great! Pre-tested. So tell me which ones to get.

I'm looking for simple stainless ones with a flat rim (easy to level off). And ones that I can find easily. Surely one of the sets in your collection fits the bill.

I own the Cuisipro Odd Size Measuring Spoon Set. The 1 1/2 tsp (1/2 TB) measure is very handy. The other odd sizes I find much less handy. http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-5-Piece-Siz...12030892&sr=8-3

The same manufacturer makes a conventional size spoon set. I don't own these. The spoons are well made with flat rims for leveling off. They also sound like the spoons you're dissatisfied with, & I hope they're not! http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-Measuring-S...12030892&sr=8-1

A friend bought me the Amco set. They are also well made, but they are slightly offset, not perfectly flat for leveling off. I've never had a problem with leveling off, though. http://www.amazon.com/Amco-4-Piece-Stainle...12031295&sr=1-1

If the stores are handy, Sur La Table sells Cuisipro (but call to check). Williams Sonoma used to sell the Amco.

The workhorses of my measuring spoons were bought at a hardware store way back when. They're lightweight, cheap, & accurate. No mfgr's ID marks, though.

I own these

I mean who wouldn't like to be able to actually tell someone to add a smidgen of this or a pinch of that and actually be able to quantify it?

Now, because of this truly controversial and disburbing thread, :hmmm: I feel guilty and foolish and dopey and just plain wrong. So, to quote Quiltguy how do you "measure the measure?"

I'm keeping these though 'cause I still think they look pretty damn cool. :biggrin:

I have a set with smidgens and pinches - perfect for the amount of citric acid in a recipe for chocolate centers. If I share the recipe I have to explain the measuring spoons. (or tell them 1/8 tsp or about half that).

The same manufacturer makes a conventional size spoon set. I don't own these. The spoons are well made with flat rims for leveling off. http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-Measuring-S...12030892&sr=8-1

I have both these and the odd size set. I checked the tbsp, 2tsp and tsp measures this morning, and they're all accurate. Phew. One less thing to worry about.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?