• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wooden Spoons

Fat Guy

These are everything that came out of my spoon holder beside my stove and after due consideration, very few will be going back in.

20230328_083806.thumb.jpg.1bcb024ec95c7d977f7780d561c07aed.jpg

The one that I use the most is the pathetic little critter on the right. I made that one. When we first came to Costa Rica, I couldn't buy a decent wooden spoon for love nor money. They were more just like wooden paddles. So I bought a paddle and carved it into a spoon. I spent hours burnishing it to a high polish. It has been well worth it because it has given me 30 years of good use. Anything that doesn't go in my stand mixer gets mixed with that. I have gone almost exclusively to silicone spatulas for cooking so the rest are like "dead wood" for me and I might as well get rid of them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have gone almost exclusively to silicone spatulas for cooking so the rest are like "dead wood" for me and I might as well get rid of them.

I would keep at least the tallest spoon, and the flat spatula-like thing.  I've never understood what the thing on the left (with the spikes) is used for. Though I probably have 2.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

I would keep at least the tallest spoon, and the flat spatula-like thing.  I've never understood what the thing on the left (with the spikes) is used for. Though I probably have 2.

You hit it right on the head. The spiky thing is for lifting spaghetti. Once you get used to it it works like a charm. I always wanted a spaghetti pot with a strainer but I never could find one that I liked or that fit my storage space so for small amounts of spaghetti, this is great.

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You hit it right on the head. The spiky thing is for lifting spaghetti. Once you get used to it it works like a charm. I always wanted a spaghetti pot with a strainer but I never could find one that I liked or that fit my storage space so for small amounts of spaghetti, this is great.

I have the plastic equivalent. I find it only moderately useful for spaghetti, so it currently lives on my desk (inches away as I type) where it does yeoman duty as a back scratcher.

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I have the plastic equivalent.

I've had the plastic equivalent and believe me, they can't hold a candle to the wooden ones. I can see them being very useful as a back scratcher.

Now that I remember, the first wooden spaghetti catcher that I had was actually a big back scratcher, made in Costa Rica. My husband stole it from me and I bought this one.

this guy is my historical go-to source - historic?  yeah, I'm that old . . . .

one of his upsides - he makes makes both left and right handed 'implements'

sounds silly until one needs to pick out/up/toss stuff - then the mirror image pieces shine, big time.

also, shorter/longer pieces - especially useful for shallow/deep pots.

IMG_2941.thumb.jpg.56e13a937208895d38eb1c50590c3aef.jpg

• Like 3

Again - beautiful. On the handedness - I was woefully insensitive to that even though sister is left. Until I lost effective use of right hand which is my dominant couple times.