• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tribeca Grill, France vs. US Event

cabrales

I noticed the following dinner --

Fall Wine Dinner, France vs. California

Monday, October 28th, 6:30 PM

Tribeca Grill, 375 Greenwich Street at Franklin in Tribeca

In the spirit of friendly competition, this tasting and dinner will empower you to be the judge - who will reign champion over the realm of superior food and wine? Five sets of wines, each showcasing two French and two California wines from the same grape varietals, will go head-to-head, at times presented in blind tastings to preserve the integrity of the competition. In addition, the kitchen will turn up the heat with an international competition between Guest Chef Chris Gesualdi, formerly of Montrachet, creating French delights and Tribeca Grill's Executive Chef, Don Pintabona and Chef de Cuisine, Stephen Lewandowski offering the best of Contemporary American Cuisine. Join us for a fun and educational evening. Producers will include: California - Kistler, Peter Michael, Rochioli, Flowers, Spottswoode, Chateau Montelena, Arrowood and Martinelli. France - **Niellon, Roulot, D'Angerville, Roumier, Lynch Bages, Gruaud Larose, Guigal and Jaboulet.** $275 / person, inclusive of tax and gratuity."

This sounds interesting Cabby. The price seems fair. The wineries are very good and the place is open and built for fun.

I wonder if DiNiro will show?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

rich -- Apologies for not knowing much about wine. Are the US producers generally good?

Actually, I was browsing for this event

"Montrachet at Montrachet

Monday, October 21st, 5:30 PM

Montrachet, 239 West Broadway at N. Moore in Tribeca

We regret that this dinner is sold out.

A Historic Tasting bringing together for the first time in the States wines from *every* producer of this legendary vineyard. Jean-Claude Wallerand, former sommelier of Le Montrachet in the village of Puligny-Montrachet, and Daniel Johnnes, Wine Director of Montrachet, will lead a stand-up walkaround tasting of **Montrachets from each of its 24 producers** and then will host a multi-course dinner to accompany older wines from the titans of this terrior"

Sold out :sad:

Cabby - Yes.

Kistler is known as one of the top chardonnay producers - all individual vineyard designations. Rochioli is a smaller operation out of Sonoma that does quite well with Russian River Zins and Sauvignon Blanc.

Peter Michael is good across the board. Spottswoode is known for CS - maybe a second or third growth equivalent. Martinelli makes good Zin, though I've heard (but not tasted) nice things about his Gewurz.

Arrowwood is owned by the former winemaker at Chateau St.Jean - does very nice things with chardonnay (Chablis style). Chateau Montelena is an excellent Napa producer makes a "second growth" CS - (the 1978 was one of the finest CS's ever produced). I'm less fond of their chardonnay - too oaky.

I've not tasted anything by Flowers.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

"Montrachet at Montrachet

Monday, October 21st, 5:30 PM

Montrachet, 239 West Broadway at N. Moore in Tribeca

This sounds even more interesting - maybe we'll pull some "strings" and get into the dinner.

Rich Schulhoff

There's a certain deja vu to this event. See the material below from Montelena's website.

In 1976 Chateau Montelena put California in the forefront of world-class winemaking.That year a who's-who of the French wine and food community gathered for a tasting in Paris. Four each of white Burgundies and red Bordeaux were tasted against six California Chardonnays and six California Cabernet Sauvignons. When the scores were tallied, the French Judges were convinced the top-ranked white wine was one of their own. In fact, it was Chateau Montelena's 1973 Chardonnay that was rated above all the others. Time magazine heralded this event with an article titled "Judgment of Paris."

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

There's a certain deja vu to this event.  See the material below from Montelena's website.

In 1976 Chateau Montelena put California in the forefront of world-class winemaking.That year a who's-who of the French wine and food community gathered for a tasting in Paris. Four each of white Burgundies and red Bordeaux were tasted against six California Chardonnays and six California Cabernet Sauvignons. When the scores were tallied, the French Judges were convinced the top-ranked white wine was one of their own. In fact, it was Chateau Montelena's 1973 Chardonnay that was rated above all the others. Time magazine heralded this event with an article titled "Judgment of Paris."

And the Stag's Leap (not Stags' Leap) CS won the award in the "red" division. However, both wines were over-oaked and eventually led to the French copying (to a certain extent) the California style of winemaking.

By 1980 the French wines were never the same (sigh).

Rich Schulhoff

rich -- "Five sets of wines, each showcasing two French and two California wines from the same grape varietals" suggests 20 different samplings, 1/2 of which will be French. If the event is $275/person, that's less than $15 for each sampling, even assuming the food is excluded. Do you have a sense as to how large the sample with respect to each wine might be? :blink:

rich -- "Five sets of wines, each showcasing two French and two California wines from the same grape varietals" suggests 20 different samplings, 1/2 of which will be French. If the event is $275/person, that's less than $15 for each sampling, even assuming the food is excluded. Do you have a sense as to how large the sample with respect to each wine might be?  :blink:

My guess is each person will be served a "glass" with each course 4-5oz. I'm sure each winery will bring enough for refills. I've been to other similar tastings and have never been refused a refill if I asked.

(I hope they plan on blind tasting with the food and not side by side without.)

But remember with so many wines, you may not want more unless something is spectacular.

Rich Schulhoff

Although I'm not a huge fan of New World wine, I would say that the deck is a bit stacked against California here.

Spottswoode and Montelena are no match for Gruaud Larose and Lynch, which are two of my absolute favourites. There also do not seem to be good matches from the CA side against Guigal and Jaboulet, depending upon which wines the latter two show up with (one would hope CR and Hermitage, but it might be CDR).

The most interesting match is Peter Michael vs. Marquis d'Angerville, pitting one of the best CA producers of Burgundy varietals against one of the absolute best from Burgundy. I think Peter Michael will do very well here, as his wines are a bit more showy.

Would it be appropriate to assume that members perceive the price of the event ($275/person) to be a relatively good deal?  :wink:

I would use the term "excellent."

Rich Schulhoff

Although I'm not a huge fan of New World wine, I would say that the deck is a bit stacked against California here.

Spottswoode and Montelena are no match for Gruaud Larose.

I would agree unless Montelena digs into its cellar and comes out with a '78 or '84 (which is very doubtful).

Rich Schulhoff

I would agree unless Montelena digs into its cellar and comes out with a '78 or '84 (which is very doubtful).

Agreed. I assumed that the event would feature current releases.

I think the cost is extremely reasonable.