• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goose Eggs

Miraklegirl

Hi All,

I bought 6 goose eggs at the Farmer's Market yesterday and am trying to figure out what to do with them. Ideally, I'd like to use them for dinner tonight so we can taste them while they are still really fresh. Any thoughts?

I really like them just boiled barely hard and then sliced with a little salt ...

I fried a whole one for my son one time ..he called it an Elk egg!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I really like them just boiled barely hard and then sliced with a little salt ...

I fried a whole one for my son one time ..he called it an Elk egg!

Thanks. Do they taste different? I've heard that the flavour can be 'strong' whatever that means...

My wife and daughter like their`s fried, I don`t eat eggs, and they both said the flavour was slightly stronger but extremely tasty too.

Edited by Henry dV (log)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

you know I think they taste like big eggs! Duck eggs are "stronger" in my opinion than a goose egg (but even those just taste more eggy not really stronger)..they are great big beautiful eggs ...I make them more for surprise and the pleasure of eating that big of an egg than for anything special taste wise..the geese that I get the eggs from eat the same things the chickens who lay the eggs do (the farmers market produce)..and they are themselves huge and eggy eggs.. so perhaps that is why all my eggs are similar in flavor?

boil one and enjoy it ..I think if you just do it at a low boil for about 15 min that should be enough ...I also blow them out because they are sturdy eggs and hold up nicely for Easter

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I recall the older ladies who did all the baking extolling the virtues of our goose eggs for baked goods. We just treated them like regular eggs. They had more flavor but compared to supermarket eggs, that makes sense. We never had chickens at the same time as geese so never did a comparison on both as free range. Agree with Hummingbirdkiss that they are great to blow out (use for scrambled or in baking) and then decorate for Easter. I still have some intact from the 60's!