• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa in water

thegreatdane

Hi, all,

I thought about making some 'cold' chocolate for my daughter before school today and wondered how to keep cocoa in suspension in water or milk.  Does there need to be some sort of binder or emulsifier?

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks! I'll try that. Tomorrow morning...

Tom

very small amount of xanthan gum will keep cocoa suspended....but too much will make it taste like slime.......0.01% or so by weight should be enough......

very small amount of xanthan gum will keep cocoa suspended....but too much will make it taste like slime.......0.01% or so by weight should be enough......

Yep, xanthan works and carrageenan at about .02% will work too but you have to heat it to about 150f so that requires advanced planning for cold chocolate.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yep, xanthan works and carrageenan at about .02% will work too but you have to heat it to about 150f so that requires advanced planning for cold chocolate.

Thanks! I was at the local grocery yesterday and noticed some cold chocolate milk and checked ingredients... carrageenan was listed. Where does one get xanthan and carrageenan?

You can get both at le sanctuaire, l'epicerie, chefrubber and lots of other places I can't think of right now. You want the kappa carrageenan for this.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.