• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY Times Magazine: new Food Editor?

pups224

I read in Eater that Amanda Hesser is leaving /has left the NYT. Does anyone know anything about it? Any comments? Is this the right place to post this?

I know that I may infuriate many, but for me, the magazine was never the same after Claiborne left.

The Grub Street blog published lengthy comments from Hesser explaining her departure and future plans. She took the buyout that the Times offered to all its newsroom staff. She's going to start an internet company called Seawinkle that has something to do with organizing information.

I thought she did a very good job as editor of the magazine's food pages -- better than she did in any other capacity at the paper. To be clear, she did not edit the newspaper's Wednesday food section (Pete Wells is the current editor there) but, rather, she was responsible for the food pages in the glossy Sunday magazine.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This is sad news.

Hesser took a lot of flack during her tenure at the Times, but she was one of their brightest voices. Just this morning I happened on one of her articles from 1999 about financier cakes, which was so elegant and informed. No one did -- or does -- those kind of stories as well. And that piece she wrote on Sandra Lee years ago was brilliant.

I always hoped she would return to the food section but I'm especially sad to see her leaving altogether -- save for the Recipe Redux column, I guess.

I have a feeling, though, that this isn't the last we'll see of her. She'll be back -- or at least I hope.

Edited by Lesley C (log)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...