• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday dining somewhere off the M5

We're off down to Padstow in the summer and are trying to find somewhere open on the Sunday night to eat, and break the journey, having looked at all the places we'd like to go, (LCS, Allium, Lumiere, Walnut Tree) none of them open on a Sunday, does anyone know of anywhere worth visiting, roughly on the way to Cornwall? I we can't find anywhere I'll just do the whole drive on Monday and arrive in a grumpy mood.

Have you moved up north now fisherman?

If so it's worth thinking about doing it in one blast, from York I've always driven to padstow and gone for the get up at 4am route, it's not a bad drive as you get past the likely problem areas such as birmingham and bristol and once you're past the M5 it's quite pleasant driving. I'm usually in padstow for 11-ish time to park up, dump the bags and head to steins F&C for restorative measures. Have kip in the afternoon if you can drag yourself away from slackers wine terrace at bintwo and you're good to go for the evening.

you don't win friends with salad

As always I recommend Combe House - great food , perfect setting and a great wine cellar, however not the most family friendly (on a pure pocket point of view anyway). Avoid Abode in Exeter - nice hotel but average food. If you want to stay in Exeter stay at the very funky Hotel Barcelona (has best cocktail bar I found when in the South West) and eat out - the Conservatory was always my favourite in Exeter.

Another good place near exeter is in Topsham a small town just outside Exeter along the estuary - there's a restaurant with rooms there called The Galley which is one of the best fish restaurants I've been to. Topsham's a lovely small town/village as well which originated in the early 1800's with lots of Dutch inspired architecture. I really need to repay the area a visit sometime soon...

Thanks for the help everyone, a little bird tells me that Allium is open for Sunday lunch, so I think we'll either set off early, have a massive lunch then sleep the rest of the day, or do as Gary suggests and just do the whole drive Monday morning, I would like some Stein fish and chips, as we hadn't got any Stein visits planned for this trip.

And yes Gary, I live near Harrogate now.

i thought that's where you were.

Off topic here but i had a v pleasant lunch at the yorke arms last week, prompted to return by jay's observer write up, also stayed at the sportsmans arms which has less to recommend itself on the food front but decent value, quite interesting wine list. Both 5-10 mins drive from pateley bridge.

you don't win friends with salad

I've always wanted to try The Masons Arms Inn at Knowstone. It's a bit of a way off the M5 up the A361 to Barnstaple, but you could always then head down the A39 to PW along the North Coast of Devon and Cornwall. The pub was lovely when I last saw it: I knew the former owners.

Do drop in here when you're around.

:)

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Thanks for the help everyone, a little bird tells me that Allium is open for Sunday lunch, so I think we'll either set off early, have a massive lunch then sleep the rest of the day, or do as Gary suggests and just do the whole drive Monday morning, I would like some Stein fish and chips, as we hadn't got any Stein visits planned for this trip.

Another idea is to stop at The Old Spot in Wells which is just south of Bristol and not to far from the M5. It is open on Sunday lunchtime (but not Sun evening or Monday) so a good place to break the journey if you are going to do it in a day. The Chef is Ian Bates ex Bibendum. We are there on Sunday on the recommendation of Insomniac and it is very good.

Here is a Jay Rayner review:

http://shopping.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,1824274,00.html