• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Break Closings in Paris

R.G. Diamond

We rented an apartment in the Marais and then, and later came out of our daze and realized that the next day is Easter.

Obviously that's a very crowded week, but we're stuck with it, as that's when our kid is out of school.

What oh what will be open for dinner? I'm guessing we're going to have to go ethnic. Is there some fabulous Moroccan place I should know about?

The kid, 9, is a world-class eater. Raw fish, truffles, Lamb Vindaloo, you name it.

Also, any recommendations for a LATE dinner the night before, Saturday, would also be -- pardon the expression -- scarfed up.

We'll be jetlagged, so we're talking Bistro, not utter formality.

Thanks in advance,

R.G.

Believe it or not, Easter is not an awfully big holiday in France. I would start by calling restaurants that are open on Sundays in general, as many are not. Mon Vieil Ami is a start, and not far from the Marais. As a restaurant favored by tourists, it might well be open. It has been reviewed many times in this forum.

What you should be aware of is that Easter Monday is a very important holiday, and many businesses including restaurants that are normally open on Monday will be closed. I think I remember that Vins des Pyrenees is open EM. We have not eaten there, but it was recommended by a rather trusted friend.

Mon Vieil Ami

69, rue Saint Louis en l'Ile

tel: 01.40.46.01.35

Vins des Pyrenees

25, rue Beautreillis

eGullet member #80.

• 1 month later...

We plunged and made reservations to travel from CA and visit Paris for the first time, for one week.

Not realizing that Easter Sunday and Monday were such big holidays, we timed our arrival for Easter Sunday, sometime mid afternoon.

We figure once we get settled in our hotel, in the 6th, we'll get out for a walk and get our bearings. We're concerned about dinner, however. The first night in town is often a challenge, and this will be more so because of the holiday. We won't want a fancy, formal dinner the first night, so does anyone have any recommendations of a bistro type place that might be open that evening? And will we need reservations for a party of two?

TIA

Restaurants that are open will often have a special Menu de Paques (easter), with special meaning both higher priced than usual but also with somewhat better dishes. In the 6th a reliable place to eat on Sunday is le Procope. It is part of a chain, but a good chain. They have a website where you can make your reservations (always make a reservation when dining in France, especailly for easter dinner as a lot of families will be dining out that day/night and the restaurants that are open will be busy).

Other places open on Sunday in the 6th are le Reminet near Notre Dame (maybe actually in the 5th, not sure) and la Mediterranee on a plaza across from the Odeon Theater. I have eaten at all of these, you will not be disappointed. Le Reminet is probably the most inventive of the group I have listed.

Restaurants that are open will often have a special Menu de Paques (easter), with special meaning both higher priced than usual but also with somewhat better dishes. In the 6th a reliable place to eat on Sunday is le Procope. It is part of a chain, but a good chain. They have a website where you can make your reservations (always make a reservation when dining in France, especailly for easter dinner as a lot of families will be dining out that day/night and the restaurants that are open will be busy).

Other places open on Sunday in the 6th are le Reminet near Notre Dame (maybe actually in the 5th, not sure) and la Mediterranee on a plaza across from the Odeon Theater. I have eaten at all of these, you will not be disappointed. Le Reminet is probably the most inventive of the group I have listed.

I'd add to that, that it's fascinating that places that say they're open on Sunday and/or Monday, are often open even if it's also a special holiday. All the places noted by 42390 are just fine, I'd add the Brasserie Lorraine and Chopotte a new place, as well.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

We won't want a fancy, formal dinner the first night, so does anyone have any recommendations of a bistro type place that might be open that evening? And will we need reservations for a party of two?

TIA

If you are staying in the 6th and want something casual but very good, that's also open on Sunday, I can recommend Fish, La Boissonnerie, a tiny wine-bar/restaurant with excellent food. It's owned by an American (don't let that scare you) who has a wonderful wine shop around the corner. It's been talked about before on Egullet with many positive reviews.

Fish

69 rue de Seine

75006, Pars

01 43 54 34 69

They get pretty busy on Sunday, so I would definitely reserve. But you can do it that day, no need to book ahead.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

• 2 years later...

Greetings!

Having a difficult time booking dinner at some 3-star restaurants in Paris in the period of Apr 24 - May 4. They are saying they will be closed due to Easter. Is this a city wide issue? Just 3-stars?

Also, some of these places will only take reservations 1-2 months in advance. Is this the norm in the Parisian 3-star realm?

Many thanks in advance!