• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cutlery

Schielke

Hehehe, sorry about the pun.

What are your favorite pieces of cutlery in your kitchen.

The following categories should work well enough.

Large Knife: 10" MAC Mighty

Small Knife: I still really need a good paring knife

Specialty Knife: Also taking reccommendations for a really good bread knife.

So those of you with some favorite knives, do tell.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I am interested in recommendations, too, especially for veggie prep. Does anyone have experience with Wusthof Culinaire?

I am in need of a new knife--my good Wusthof 10-inch knife snapped in half while pureeing garlic!!! I got it from my grandfather, though, and I know it gave many years of service...

I am in need of a new knife--my good Wusthof 10-inch knife snapped in half while pureeing garlic!!!  I got it from my grandfather, though, and I know it gave many years of service...

There must be a story here. How did the Wusthof snap in half?

I've had many different knives, Henkels, Wustoff, And Dick. I recently(about a year ago) bought a Global(not the ceramic) vegetable knife(about 6"). This knife is superb. It has great controll and balance. I like it so much that I went out and bought the larger size(about 10"). Its also reasonably

priced, 40 and 60 dollars.

BTW: Its a one peice all SS knife, no wooden or rubber handle. You would think this would be uncomfortable; no way!

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I am in need of a new knife--my good Wusthof 10-inch knife snapped in half while pureeing garlic!!!  I got it from my grandfather, though, and I know it gave many years of service...

There must be a story here. How did the Wusthof snap in half?

My Significant Other and I were frantically preparing for a dinner party (behind schedule as usual) and he was using the knife to make a garlic paste--you know, chop the garlic, salt it, then smush it down really hard with the side of the knife. I was in the other room, and I heard a big snap, then "F*#K!!!"--the knife just split in half. (I imagine he was putting a lot of pressure on the knife--but still!:hmmm: ) Luckily, no blood was shed!

Like I said, it was really old---maybe 30 years?--it had been sharpened so many times that the blade was about an inch shorter than it was supposed to be.

The worst part is that we also had a great 8" Wusthof Classic, this one I bought about 8 years ago. We took it on vacation this summer, along with a bunch of other kitchen supplies, and left the ruddy thing behind at the end of the week! (That's what happens when you have to pack with a severe hangover.) So we went from having 2 great knives to having none. Time for a visit to the kitchen supply store...

My favorite knife by far is my 16cm Wusthof Classic, a gift from my mother in law during a trip in Germany. She asked me if I wanted anything and I told her a good knife and I think she picked a good one.

I recently bought a Kyocera ceramic knife (also 16cm) and really liked it at first, the absolute best on tomatoes) but it has gotten very dull and I have yet to purchase the special sharpener. I ama also scared to use it on things with thick skins (kabochas or other hard squashes) for fear that it will shatter.

At a friends house a little while back I used her 2 global knives and fell in love, I have already told my husband this is what I want for Christmas!

I have a little Ecko Flint paring knife (very cheap) that is actually the best paring knife I have ever used.

I have this beautiful hand made bread knife with the best blade I have ever come across, unfortunately it has this wooden bar parallel to the blade to help you slice the same size slices each time. the handle and this bar are all cut from one single piece of wood nd it is impossible to remove. I hate it because I can't cut a loaf in half, or cut larger slices, and it only works on certain shape breads.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

We had a thread on this awhile back: Click. Have a look and you'll see that great minds (i.e., me and Nickn) think alike.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We had a thread on this awhile back: Click. Have a look and you'll see that great minds (i.e., me and Nickn) think alike.

I see we also agree on sharpening. While I used to use something like 15 degrees on my plain high carbon knives (it's really better), since I switched to Wusthof stainless I've decided to stick with the 20 degrees that comes with them. The edge lasts longer and though not as nice as 15 degrees, I have no problems with bread or tomatos using my 10" Cook's.

My dad was a butcher in a former life, and at that time (don't know if it's still true), butchers used "soft" knives -- however, not "bendy" knives. I grew up with the expectation that if you were old enough to use a knife, you were old enough to learn how to sharpen properly. If you don't know how to sharpen a knife, get an inexpensive, soft knife and practice -- it's much easier on a softer knife than the expensive carbon ones.

I have a 20-year old set of Chicago Cutlery (no comments, please), and one thing I really like is that they sharpen so easily, and I can get than 15 degrees that I like so much. If sharpening a harder knife if difficult, try softer ones. My stone is always within easy reach.... My friends are always amazed at how much sharper my knives are than theirs.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Im from Chicago, and I would never use Chicago Cutlery... :raz:

The reason they sharpen so easily is because they are stainless w very little if any carbon in them - More impotantly however is that they do not keep an edge so you have to constantly sharpen them...and also the wooden handles absorb unsanitary oils and substances and dry out as well...

If you don't know how to sharpen a knife, get an inexpensive, soft knife and practice --  it's much easier on a softer knife than the expensive carbon ones.

Good advice.

And after you learn to sharpen you might want to go to a harder steel so you only need a steel for awhile and don't have to reach for the stone. If you like plain high carbon steel than sharpens and holds its edge, try Dexter knives. They're what I used until I got hooked on Wusthof.

Im from Chicago, and I would never use Chicago Cutlery...  :raz:

The reason they sharpen so easily is because they are stainless w very little if any carbon in them -  More impotantly however is that they do not keep an edge so you have to constantly sharpen them...and also the wooden handles absorb unsanitary oils and substances and dry out as well...

I know they don't hold an edge, but it's really hard to undo almost 40 years of training (I learned to sharpen a knife when I was 5). And, the wooden handles don't really bother me because I put them in the dishwasher (yes, I know, boo hiss).

I do have a Wusthof, but don't really like it because it is so hard to sharpen to that nice 15 degrees.

Any suggestions for something that isn't as soft as Chicago, but isn't as hard as Wusthof? I am looking to replace some of my knives.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I do have a Wusthof, but don't really like it because it is so hard to sharpen to that nice 15 degrees.

Any suggestions for something that isn't as soft as Chicago, but isn't as hard as Wusthof?  I am looking to replace some of my knives.

As I said above, stick with the 20 degrees that comes with Wusthof. It's not that bad. When I got my first Wusthof knives, I wanted closer to 15 degrees and took them over to a friend's slaughterhouse/meatshop and did that on his machine. Then I had to run them over the stones - India and black Arkansas. It was a waste of time and effort.

Almost any stainless is going to be hard because of the chrome. Also, as above, if you want a harder knife without going to stainless, try a Dexter. I don't know if they're available everywhere. I used to get mine at Rockland Boat, a supplier to commercial fishermen.

The stainless Sabatier knives that I see being sold at kitchen stores these days seem to be very similar to the German knives, though maybe not quite as beefy. But I think something happened a few years ago where one manufacturer usurped the Sabatier name. As I understand it -- and if a knife expert would chime in and clarify it would be appreciated -- some of the other knives that used to be called Sabatier are now sold under specific brand names like Thiers-Issard. These tend to be carbon steel and are very nice if you're into that. The old-style French carbon steel knives tend to be very thin and narrow compared to their German counterparts. They are a joy to hold and to work with, though I wouldn't want to use one in the production environment of a restaurant kitchen. I have a few old Sabatier "Elephant" knives and while I like them very much in principle, I find myself using my Wusthof for everything.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

as fat guy says, sabatier can mean anything from expensive crap to expensive wonders. the good ones are thiers issard "elephant" (both carbon and stainless), sabatier "k" (only stainless) and sabatier "lion" (both carbon and stainless), all of them produced in thiers, france. (there is one more called, i think, cuisine de france, but i know nothing about it) they are of a classic french shape, lighter than german, heavier than, say global. not, i think, for those with big hands, but perfect for me. as they are more "triangular" than the german knives, they can be troublesome to use on a warped cutting board. but - they are easier to hone and sharpen than most fully forged knives because they're not as heavy at the bolster/heel.

my own favourite is a 10" lion carbon steel. it's a good length when you have to chop parsley, onion or whatever for a rather large family, and it's still a lot lighter than would be a 10" wusthof. wusthofs, though, are probably finer knives, or they wouldn't be the choice of the pros!

the global knives: they are not fully forged - and i do think they can not be used professionally because they are too light and they have no bolster. i certainly wouldn't use them for "banging", i wouldn't consider them safe. but i may be wrong there...

edit: sorry, schielke, i didn't notice the part about bread knives. there's a "bread knife" thread, too, somewhere. i use a c. 11" victorinox, wooden handle. it's stamped, not forged. the best i've ever had or tried.

and paring knives - i use my 4" sab as well as a cheap solingen stamped one, which one i use depends on how tough a job to do. the wusthofs ar beautiful, by the way.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

I've got two toolboxes that are mostly full of knives that I've collected over the years. I've probably got at least one from every knife manufacturer except, chicago cutlery, and the ones that dork sells on TV.

Some things I've come to believe;

Best Edge---Sabatier Carbon

Best Grip / handle---Wustof Grand Prix

Most used Knife---Dexter Chinese Cleaver

For a utillity knife I have to promote Wustof's 7" Frozen Foods Knife. It does EVERYTHING, 7" blade, swept point, and an offset handle. I was given one by a mentor and I went out and had two more ordered, one for home and one to archive in case I ever lose one of the others.

Sharpening can be a pain but I'm a big believer in keeping a wicked sharp blade. I purchased a ceramic sharpening stone for my Globals and I was suprised to learn that it does an excellent job on my other knives. A few passes on the medium grit (orange) stone brings up a NICE edge FAST, and that works perfect for me at home.

And another thing---Henckels SUCK

I am not a fan of Henkels, even though I own a set. Wusthof has been very satisfactory for the last few years.

Get a 8" or 10" Wusthof chef's knife (whichever size feels best in your hand). I like the Grand Prix's feel. Also get a paring knife and a bread knife. Thats all you need!

(whichever size feels best in your hand)

I'd say that, unless your knife skills are quite advanced, get one size bigger than whatever you think feels best in your hand right now. The first time anybody picks up a 10" Wusthof chef's knife after using flimsy 6" and 8" chef's knives from lesser manufacturers, it seems like a massive, heavy, unmanageable knife. But if you use it for a few weeks it becomes the benchmark. The 10" size is the overwhelming choice of professional cooks, including many petite ones.

Go into any kitchenware store and pick up a Wusthof and a Henckels in the same size and handle material. You'll notice pretty quickly that you're dealing with two different levels of craftsmanship.

Go into any kitchenware store and pick up a Wusthof and a Henckels in the same size and handle material. You'll notice pretty quickly that you're dealing with two different levels of craftsmanship.

Clearly craftsmanship is not the only criterion. As Wusthof is superior to Henckel, so Henckel is superior (in craftsmanship) to Dexter and Chicago. Yet people claim them as favorites.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.