• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HillBilly Chili Cook-Off

nonblonde007

I went with my teen son to the Arkansas State Championship HillBilly Chili Cook-Off in Bull Shoals today. What a Blast! (on way to many levels :blink: ) This was my first time attending one of these events, and I completely enjoyed myself. There were live bands, vendors, raffles and hundreds of people. And of course, there was chili. We sampled the entrys of all twenty competitors, and frankly, I wasn't impressed by any of them. They all lacked in salt and heat, many of the ones with beans were nearly raw, and most were entirely tasteless. Several of the entrants told me that they were told to "dumb down" the samples for the public, believing that our delicate palates would be offended by actual flavor. I have honestly had better chili from a can, any can. Has anyone here ever entered one of these contests? I would love to learn if there are restrictions to heat and seasonings, and what the insider feelings are on this. I took pics of the event, but unfortunately, my batteries died just before the chili started. :sad: I do have a couple of really culturally entertaining pics for you tho.

gallery_48503_4908_134875.jpg

gallery_48503_4908_595754.jpg

gallery_48503_4908_74205.jpg

gallery_48503_4908_1037094.jpg

You just Gotta Love the Ozarks!!!!

(edited to try and figure out my pic problem)

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Sounds like great fun. The chili competition par excellence though has got to be the annual one at Terralingua, Texas - fantastic chili, unbelievable amount of tequila and beer consumed and for those who like such things, even a wet t-shirt contest.

The only chili competition I know of that draws food writers from Europe, the Middle-East and even Japan and China - indeed a four day "blast"