• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC students love the food in Kansas

jgm

Well, whaddya know!

This morning's Wichita Eagle has a story about three Columbia University students who, having read about Kansas' Flint Hills in National Geographic, decided to come and explore. The link is here , but I expect it'll work only a couple of days.

It seems they took a bus -- 30 hours -- to Emporia, took a taxi 20 miles to Strong City, and found the natives in a friendly mood. Several locals showed them the sights:

"For Kaufman and Edney, it was their first taste of homegrown tomatoes. They ate about eight peach-sized tomatoes Tuesday they'd picked from the garden of Susan Smith, owner of the Hitchin' Post in Matfield Green.

Kaufman and Edney, who are vegetarians, took a "When in Rome" attitude and ate steak.

"We never got meat like this in New York," Kaufman said. "Without all the fat and stuff this is just so much different. This is great stuff. It's really good."

Let it be remembered that in August, 2007, a trio of New Yorkers came to Kansas and ate better food than they could get at home.

Kaufman and Edney, who are vegetarians, took a "When in Rome" attitude and ate steak.

"We never got meat like this in New York," Kaufman said. "Without all the fat and stuff this is just so much different. This is great stuff. It's really good."

Vegetarians, eh? Well, how would they know what meat is like in New York? I find the whole thing suspicious. And leave it to vegetarians to like lean meat. :biggrin:

Yeah... not all of us Columbians are born and bred urbanites. Some of us started out in the country and got back out there afterwards too.

And I totally believe that farm country produce is better than 80% of the stuff available in NYC. That other 20% is just not available anywhere but large urban areas where demand for unusual or extreme luxury produce (e.g. Luger quality steaks) is sufficient to get it brought to market.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Vegetarians, eh? Well, how would they know what meat is like in New York? I find the whole thing suspicious. And leave it to vegetarians to like lean meat. :biggrin:

From that quote alone, I find it impossible to determine exactly which locale has the steak with the "fat and stuff." I actually understood it differently from you...that the meat they get in NYC has been more closely trimmed to please the upmarket crowd, whereas the meat closer to the source is more, um, rustic.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Well, whaddya know!

This morning's Wichita Eagle has a story about three Columbia University students who, having read about Kansas' Flint Hills in National Geographic, decided to come and explore.  The link is here , but I expect it'll work only a couple of days.

It seems they took a bus -- 30 hours -- to Emporia, took a taxi 20 miles to Strong City, and found the natives in a friendly mood.  Several locals showed them the sights:

"For Kaufman and Edney, it was their first taste of homegrown tomatoes. They ate about eight peach-sized tomatoes Tuesday they'd picked from the garden of Susan Smith, owner of the Hitchin' Post in Matfield Green.

Let it be remembered that in August, 2007, a trio of New Yorkers came to Kansas and ate better food than they could get at home.

since vegetarians by definition have no culinary sensibility...no comment is needed.

From that quote alone, I find it impossible to determine exactly which locale has the steak with the "fat and stuff." I actually understood it differently from you...that the meat they get in NYC has been more closely trimmed to please the upmarket crowd, whereas the meat closer to the source is more, um, rustic.

It really depends on how you break up the quote, you're right. The truly pressing question is: what is "stuff"? Gristle? Bone? Sauce?

since vegetarians by definition have no culinary sensibility...no comment is needed.

Now, now, Nathan . . . as a recovering vegetarian (14 years sin carne) I can tell you that's just not true. Be nice :raz:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I ain't lettin' you guys rain on my parade anyhow. It's in print. These young ladies, whether or not they are bona fide New Yorkers, had better food in Kansas than they had in New York.

:biggrin: