• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Find Diamond Crystal Salt in NM

Just moved to Santa Fe, NM from NJ. So far Morton's is the salt I've seen in Albertsons, Smiths and our local grocer. Tried contacting Cargill by email for names of retail carriers, but no response. Is this an East vs West thing? The Morton's table salt seems much saltier and I miss the way Diamond Crystal clings to foods instead of bouncing around the place. Has anyone found Diamond Crystal out here?

KathyM

If all else fails, it seems you can order it from Amazon.com and have it delivered. At the moment, your post has 2 flamingo-pink links that will take you to Amazon, and if you enter Amazon through such a link then eGullet will get a small donation for anything you order, regardless of whether it's food-related. What's really wierd is that "Diamond Crystal" is showing up as one of those links, but the result is not related to the salt you're after.

I think these links come and go with the whim of the web crawler, so if you're wondering what I'm talking about, then click on this link to get to one of the Diamond Crystal table salt cylinders they offer. There are several different Diamond Crystal offerings in the gourmet foods section of Amazon, so check the area if this isn't the right one.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The Amazon links get me to Gristedes but the shipping is a killer for a $.99 item. I just called Cargill and they do not have a list of retailers but said their products are available country wide. I'll try asking the local stores is it is something they will make available.

KathyM

Just moved to Santa Fe, NM from NJ.   So far Morton's is the salt I've seen in Albertsons, Smiths and our local grocer.  Tried contacting Cargill by email for names of retail carriers,  but no response.  Is this an East vs West thing?  The Morton's table salt seems much saltier and I miss the way Diamond Crystal clings to foods instead of bouncing around the place.  Has anyone found Diamond Crystal out here?

I was in Fremont's Fine Foods in Albuquerque a day or so ago, and saw big boxes of the Diamond salt there.

Smith's also has a Kosher salt under the Kroger Brand, which is pretty comparable to Diamond.

Fremonts is on the northeast corner of San Mateo and Lomas, in Albuquerque.

Christine

Edited by artisan02 (log)

I was in Fremont's Fine Foods in Albuquerque a day or so ago, and saw big boxes of the Diamond salt there. 

Smith's also has a Kosher salt under the Kroger Brand, which is pretty comparable to Diamond. 

Fremonts is on the northeast corner of San Mateo and Lomas, in Albuquerque.

Christine

Thanks Christine. I see a ride to ABQ in my future. :smile:

KathyM

By the way, the reason Morton's seems so much saltier is that it is nearly twice as dense as Diamond Crystal: because D.C. is "fluffier" there is much less salt per tablespoonful. I've weighed them, though I don't have the figures available right now.

By the way, the reason Morton's seems so much saltier is that it is nearly twice as dense as Diamond Crystal: because D.C. is "fluffier" there is much less salt per tablespoonful. I've weighed them, though I don't have the figures available right now.

Yes, salt isn't really a good ingredient to specify by *volume* measure.

Weight specifies the quantity of salt, whatever brand, wherever you are. But if you are working by 'feel', changing supplier may mean relearning that 'feel'...

If the salt is being tasted as crystals, then the 'feel' of it in the mouth will vary with the crystal form. But the vast majority of the differences dissolve away once you mix the same weight of different brands into a solution!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

congratulations on moving to one of the most beautiful places on earth! my sister lives there and I just emailed her to ask if she knew where you could find it .. I honestly can not imagine it is not sold someplace!

I will let you know asap she has every store in the area pegged for what it has in it! she is as bad as I am about looking for food!

OT if you are a birder as your name implies then you will be in heaven living in NM

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

congratulations on moving to one of the most beautiful places on earth! my sister lives there and I just emailed her to ask if she knew where you could find it .. I honestly can not imagine it is not sold someplace!

I will let you know asap she has every store in the area pegged for what it has in it! she is as bad as I am about looking for food!

OT if you are a birder as your name implies then you will be in heaven living in NM

We've been here one month and love everything about it. We are also birders and are finding our way through the western field guides. When they decided to call NM the land of enchantment, they were not kidding around. It is a magical place. Besides all that, thanks for sending the salt SOS to your Sis! :smile:

KathyM