• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bottled Tap Water

=Mark

It's been all over the news today that Aquafina, Pepsi's foray into the

bottled water market, comes from the municipal water supply. So? Is this

supposed to be a secret? I've known since they started marketing them that

both Aquafina and Dasani are filtered tap water. Where did people think it

came from? It says right on the label "Filtered Water."

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

It's been all over the news today that Aquafina, Pepsi's foray into the

bottled water market, comes from the municipal water supply.  So?  Is this

supposed to be a secret?  I've known since they started marketing them that

both Aquafina and Dasani are filtered tap water.  Where did people think it

came from?  It says right on the label "Filtered Water."

I would bet a lot of people didn't know and figured they were basically the same as poland spring, etc. Whenever I tell people that Aquafina/Dasani are made by Pepsi/Coke, they usually seem surprised. Since when do people read label anyway. :wink:

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Paying more for water than for gas is a bit extreame for filtered tap water. Especialy since you can do the same thing with a filter that costs less than $50.00.

Living hard will take its toll...

Maybe folks will wise up and buy one of those filters for their home and refill their own water bottles, stop supporting the shysters that don't need their money and create less biodegradeable garbage for the landfills. :smile:

The primary reason for bottled water is convenience. It's more convenient to fill your own and not have to go buy them. Not to mention more economical. Maybe now that the "secret" is out folks will realize they've been ripped off and can do better themselves.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The point has been well-made by the previous posters' responses. The average, gullible American consumer figures if

a) its in a bottle

and

b) its expensive

its gotta be better than what they can get from the tap, or even from the tap with a filtration system.

Consumers usually don't read the labels, and they sure don't realize what "PWS" means. (That was Pepsi's explanation today....they label the water with PWS, so *people should know* they said in a very Corporate tone of voice. No where on the label did they define PWS as, um, Public Water Source. Suh-prise, suh-prise suh-prise......)

To pass this stuff off as better than tap water is to me tantamount with the old-time snake oil salesmen. There truly is a sucker born every minute. However, again, the average consumer doesn't realize the scam being perpetrated on them. Not to come off as elitist, but us foodies read labels a little better than most. Me, I'm also pretty savvy about labeling in general, and finding my way through FDA's regs, because that's my field. I knew a long time ago that if it didn't say "spring" or "mineral" water on the label, and list the source, it was probably coming from some municipal pipe somewhere. Joe Average, not so much. Ohhhhhh-ahhhhhhh, filtered, must be good ! Exotic even.

Is the marketing gonna kill someone, probably not. Is it dishonest, again, probably not (PWS and all.....), although that point could be debated. Is it sorta sleezy, IMO, yeah. Like the new Clorox disinfectant kitchen spray that's nothing more than diluted bleach. Its just a way to get gullible consumers to part with their money for something not so special.

Edit 'cuz you don't disEnfect something, you disinfect it. OY !

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

IMO, filtered water is better than tap water. I've been using a 4 stage reverse osmosis(RO) filter for my drinking water for 3 years. It eliminates dissolved organic compounds (DOC)and some heavy metals. The UV light kills pathogens in the water.

This is slightly off topic but I grow corals and raise marine fishes. In saltwater set ups you cannot use tap water because of the high levels of DOC. The renal clinic also suggested that I use RO filtered water because my kidneys are failing.

Membrane is changed every 2-3 years, UV light is changed every 6 months, sediment and carbon filters changed every 6-8 months.

Edited by Fugu (log)

IMO, filtered water is better than tap water.

No doubt about it. I use Brita pitchers myself, even though my municipal tap water is consistently rated very well. Various reasons prevent me from installing a filter on the tap itself, or an under-sink unit. So I use the Brita. I cook with the Brita water, especially when water is an ingredient, like in soups, use it for coffee, give it to the doggies in their bowl. And, I DO buy bottled water. I make sure its "spring water" and the source is listed on the label. I don't buy Aqua Fina or Dasani. They're rip-offs.

Because.......when filtered tap water is marketed as something unatainable by the average consumer, there's the rub as Shakespeare said. When you pay upwards of a buck a bottle for this stuff, and you can get a good, in-line RO/UV filtration system for what it costs you for less than a year's supply of someone ELSE'S filtered tap water, that really is marketing fluff and as I said, sleazy. That's Coca-Cola and PepsiCo playing on consumer's ignorance, and propensity to follow the shiny, flashy, glittery, expensive marketing gimmicks. I for one, won't support it. It's part of the fleecing of America as someone once said, and I choose not to participate in it.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I thinkt here's ageneration gap in the bottle water thing.

I think younger people generally were not a part of the fancy status-water blitz in the 80's, so the idea that all consumers are "being fleeced" by water that not even from a spring! is a bit of a stretch, I think a lot of people just buy water.....because it's in a bottle.

I also find that filtered water is in many cases much tastier than yucky mineral laden spring water of he world.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Sleazy? Coca-Cola and PepsiCo playing on consumer's ignorance, and propensity to follow the shiny, flashy, glittery, expensive marketing gimmicks?

It's sheer brilliance if you ask me! Anything is worth whatever you can get some bonehead to pay for it... :raz:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

When Coca-Cola tried to launch Dasani here in the UK the press were full on that it was filtered tap water but corporate speak said it was the highly filtered and had and when it did launch it had to be withdrawn as it was contaminated by Benzine!

Had to laugh.

Wonder if they'll try again?

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with you Mark, I always knew it was filtered water (not spring.) Even though it does come from a public water supply, from what I hear it goes through a pretty rigorous 7-step purification process. It tastes a lot better than my tap water, and that's what matters to me!