• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ultimate BLT Sandwich

Harry91

I had BLTs on the brain today, and thought I'd add avocado, but my market had no ripe ones. I started thinking about other variations and decided to try egg salad instead of mayonnaise. No pictures, but it's definitely a keeper.

JAZ, once you do that, the sandwich (by me) becomes an egg salad with bacon.

If the main component of the sandwich had been egg salad, then yes. In my case, though, it was definitely a BLT, just with a thin layer of very plain egg salad -- almost like an egg-enriched mayonnaise.

I caved and shelled out the equivalent of $6 for two small avocadoes yesterday. Normally I wouldn't do this, but I was making a Cobb salad and for once, the avocadoes in the display seemed ripe. So I used one up in the salad yesterday, now I'm looking at the left-over bacon bits, cherry tomatoes, Boston lettuce, and the last avocado and thinking....BLATs.

Only - the cherry tomatoes pose a problem. Would it be weird to chunk the tomatoes and the avocadoes into a sort of guacamole to spread onto the bread, as a sort of cushion for the bacon?

I made a BLAT for dinner last night, using an absolutely perfect avocado, an heirloom tomato about the size of a softball, Nieman Ranch bacon, toasted, good artisinal sourdough bread, iceburg lettuce and Best Foods mayo. A sprinkle of pepper and salt, and when I took my first bite, I honestly though I'd died and gone to heaven. It's been probably about 10 years since I'd made a BLAT, and I can tell you it will NOT be another 10 before my next one.

Damn, but that's a fine sandwich.

Nakji, it's probably too late for advice, but to me, the mayo is integral to both the BLT and the BLAT, so I would layer as follows using the cherry tomatoes...

Bread

Mayo

Bacon

Mashed avocado w/chunked tomatoes

S&P to taste (light salt 'cuz of the bacon)

Lettuce

Mayo

Bread

But that's me. I could eat Best Foods mayo with a spoon.....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Put me down for the BLAT. Although the addition of shrimp does sound awfully tasty. And Hellman's, or homemade, mayo, please.

blt2.jpg

I like a fried egg, bacon and cheese sandwich, too, but not with the tomato...though I love sliced tomato with bacon and eggs for breakfast. I think it's the cheese that squicks me.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 weeks later...

Have to agree with the "make it at home" group.

It is late in the season and my tomatoes are just beginning to ripen. Nice fresh Orowheat Honey Wheat Berry bread, just the right amount of mayo ;-) three or four slices of thick bacon and a 1/2" thick slice of beefsteak tomato straight off the vine. No lettuce when I make them at home.

Perfection.

I'm off to the kitchen to make another!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

• 8 months later...

Real sun-ripened tomatoes are at least a month away where I live, but I stumbled across this recipe for a BLT using roasted tomatoes and basil mayo that provides temporary refuge--and sounds absolutely delicious.

B L (slow roasted) T

edited: to note that by pure coincidence (really!) I just noticed that SobaAddict linked to this same recipe in Recipes that Rock 2011.

Real sun-ripened tomatoes are at least a month away where I live, but I stumbled across this recipe for a BLT using roasted tomatoes and basil mayo that provides temporary refuge--and sounds absolutely delicious.

B L (slow roasted) T

edited: to note that by pure coincidence (really!) I just noticed that SobaAddict linked to this same recipe in Recipes that Rock 2011.

An adaptation of the aforementioned sandwich:

037.JPG

Bacon, sucrine lettuce and slow-roasted Campari cherry tomato sandwich, with Dijon-herb aioli on toasted sourdough bread

• 1 month later...

I was the last to post in this thread last summer. And that tomato plant I had last year??? It never died. It has not stopped producing since then! Very little during the winter, but now it is taking over the entire garden. The vines are supported on the patio furniture as we've run out of tomato supports! The last three days I've picked over 20 tomatoes per day! It makes me very happy.

On that note, I'm off to make a bacon and tomato sandwich on wheat berry bread! Some things never change, thank goodness!

Happy summer, everyone!

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Earlier this week I went to a fun demo by Kevin Gillespie. For the first course, he made cornmeal pancakes, smeared with bacon/basil mayonnaise, topped with sliced tomatoes and garnished with basil leaves. I wanted to lick the plate! :wub: I'll be making this one for DH in the near future.