• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Book Club Food

apronstrings

I host our monthly book clubs (CUZ IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FOOD!). Next month we will be discussing Hosseini's latest novel, A Thousand Splendid Suns. I am preparing lunch for the meeting. The foods will tie in with the book, which takes place in modern Afghanistan. Everything will be cold or room temperature. Can anyone help me tweak my tentative menu? We're about 12 people. So far this is what I'm thinking--- Paula Wolfert's walnut and olive spread, spicy eggplant salad, fattoush, chicken and couscous salad, chick pea and spinach salad. For dessert -- mint tea, pistachio cake, and either stuffed apricots or a dried fruit compote. Thanks so much!!!

As soon as I read Afghani cuisine I thought of lamb. A spinach and lamb stew of sorts. Another lamb dish I love is Lahmahjoon. It is not specifically Afghani, but it would work for the dinner. It is simple and very easy to make and travels well if someone wanted take it home. :smile: Good luck with your meal, it sounds fun!

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

As soon as I read Afghani cuisine I thought of lamb. A spinach and lamb stew of sorts. Another lamb dish I love is Lahmahjoon. It is not specifically Afghani, but it would work for the dinner. It is simple and very easy to make and travels well if someone wanted take it home. :smile:  Good luck with your meal, it sounds fun!

Thanks! I'll check out lahmahjoon right now.