• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Around The World First Class On Singapore Air

Earlier this year I flew around the world on Singapore Airlines. Singapore Air's Around The World Fares are one of the best airfare bargains going. Even a better bargain as Singapore Air is consistently chosen "Best First Class" in the world by airline rating polls.

I flew US Air from Philadelphia to San Francisco and then Singapore Air to Hong Kong, Singapore, Frankfurt and ending at JFK in New York. While in Singapore I took the Eastern and Oriental Express to Bangkok. I'll do a separate post on that.

Part of what makes Singapore Airlines First Class experience so special is their in-air menu. It shows what is possible at 35,000 feet.

First Leg: San Francisco to Hong Kong. Meals served - Supper and Breakfast

Welcoming Champagne - Dom Perignon 1999 or Krug Grande Cruvee. That's all they pour. Order a mimosa with breakfast and it is made with Dom Perignon.

gallery_14_4786_7979.jpg

Supper Appetizer: Duck terrine with champagne jelly and baby lettuce

gallery_14_4786_5909.jpg

Soup: Creamy pumpkin soup with hazelnut cream

gallery_14_4786_9188.jpg

Entree: Pre Ordered from Singapore Air's SFO Book The Cook Menu. - Lobster Thermidore, with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice.

gallery_14_4786_28582.jpg

Dessert: Assorted fruit sorbet with seasonal fruit salad and tuile basket

gallery_14_4786_11536.jpg

Breakfast before landing in Hong Kong:

Fresh Fruit Plate

gallery_14_4786_1869.jpg

Maine Lobster Noodle Soup with egg noodles and Chinese greens

gallery_14_4786_26872.jpg

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Hong Kong to Singapore - Lunch

Appetizer: Malossol caviar with crabmeat salad

gallery_14_4786_14034.jpg

Soup: Cream of asparagus soup garnished with Parmesan crisp

gallery_14_4786_19863.jpg

Salad: Caesar salad

gallery_14_4786_24351.jpg

Entree: Braised Short Rib of Beef with root vegetables and celeriac-pear puree

gallery_14_4786_14251.jpg

Cheese Plate

gallery_14_4786_21214.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Singapore to Frankfurt Germany

Light Meal:

Appetizer: Duck liver terrine with smoked duck breast, fig compote, baby lettuce and mustard dressing

gallery_14_4786_5386.jpg

Main Course: Warm focaccia with roasted beef, tomato and sharp cheddar panini

gallery_14_4786_14930.jpg

Dessert: Ginger creme brulee with assorted fruit salad

gallery_14_4786_6864.jpg

Dinner:

Canape: Satay with cucumber and spice peanut sauce

gallery_14_4786_27610.jpg

Appetizer: Chilled malossol caviar

gallery_14_4786_14678.jpg

Soup: Shredded dry scallop and crabmeat superior thick soup

gallery_14_4786_18062.jpg

Salad: Caesar Salad

gallery_14_4786_14910.jpg

Entree: Grilled marinated lamb chops with black peppercorn sauce, roasted vegetables and mashed potato

gallery_14_4786_24779.jpg

Dessert: Warm pear frangipane flan with Macedonia nut ice cream with raspberry coulis

gallery_14_4786_2130.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Frankfurt to JFK New York

Breakfast:

Fresh Fruit Plate

gallery_14_4786_5354.jpg

Fruit Yoghurt

gallery_14_4786_17675.jpg

Grilled pork sausage with roasted tomato, sauteed mushrooms and roesti potato

gallery_14_4786_186.jpg

Light Meal:

Appetizer: Marinated lobster with tomato couscous and balsamic reduction vinegar

gallery_14_4786_6429.jpg

Entree: Halibut roulade with pinenut crumb, wilted spincah, salsa rosa

gallery_14_4786_7311.jpg

Dessert: Soft center chocolate cake with orange ganache, vanilla sauce

gallery_14_4786_9051.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Finally some other airline meals en route:

US Air First Class - Philadelphia to San Francisco -

Dinner: Chicken Parmesan with salad and cheesecake, oh my!

gallery_14_4786_18837.jpg

Thai Air - Business Class - Chiang Mai to Bangkok - a one hour flight and a great breakfast.

gallery_14_4786_5885.jpg

And finally an plug for the Elephant Nature Park outside of Chiang Mai where I had the privilege of hanging out for a day with 30 plus rescued elephants. Fed them a couple of times, bathed them in the river too. Here's a couple of younguns in the mud pit.

gallery_14_4786_24925.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

How many grease stains?

(Those scratching their heads over this question should consult Holly's website by clicking beneath his sig.)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

What a great idea for a post!

What was your take on the flavours? There's always this arguement that your limited in what you can pull off in a pressurized cabin. The wines don't taste quite right, the food seems off to your tastebuds?

But can this be treated with the right choices? Are we better off with higher fat content foods (like that excellent duck terrine)? And for wine, is it wisest to stick with champagne, sweet dessert wines, and ports?

And what a contrast between the international flights and the one US carrier (Bangkok to Chiang Mai is a pretty short bump, so I wouldn't pick on them. The food looked good, no matter what).

I'm looking forward to the rail trip!

Cheers,

Peter

Holly, were there choices for the various courses? I'm surprised at the degree of emphasis on Western food, so was wondering if there were Asian choices as well.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Holly, were there choices for the various courses? I'm surprised at the degree of emphasis on Western food, so was wondering if there were Asian choices as well.

I wasn't lucky enough to fly first class, but did fly business class from San Francisco to Singapore (en route to Vietnam) and I vaguely recall submitting my menu selections ahead of time. But maybe that was because we were flying with a 7-year-old and wanted to make sure we got a kid's meal for him. Not that we need to have bothered; the food on board was excellent and our semi-foodie child would have eaten anything they put in front of him.

Wish I'd taken pictures...

Edit to add: As I recall, you could choose between Western and Asian offerings, customizing your meal to your preferences.

Edited by BekkiM (log)
Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Peter,

The flavors were there, spot on. The wine selection was probably as impressive as the champagne choices - I had one or two selections with every meal and they paired well - just didn't keep track of them and don't know wines all that well to recognize the good from the great.

I wasn't complaining about the Thai Air meal - amazed they could pull it off on a full plane and a one hour flight. A US airline would have been lucky to swing a bag of mini pretzels in that same time period.

US Airway's first class attempt was just pathetic.

Steven,

There were a number of Asian alternatives - I often had Asian apps and the lobster soup before landing in Hong Kong was great. But as I was eating Chinese in Hong Kong and Thai throughout Thailand I probably used my Singapore Airline flight entrees for breaks from Asian fare.

Samples of the Asian cuisine included a Thai breakfast porridge with chicken, smoked Cantonese duck with plum sauce, Nasi Padang (beef rendang with grilled chicken and steamed fish souffle) Lychee Bay Style Congee, and such.

As to grease stains - an airline seat, even a Singapore Air first class compartment like seat, isn't the greatest for tidy dining. If my shirts are any indication, each meal was at least 5 grease stains.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

What I want to know is: did you ever get off the plane, or just fly your way around the world eating airplane food?  It looks amazingly good.  Any idea what they serve in tourist class?

I've flown economy class from New York > Frankfurt > Singapore and back, and the food was mediocre. Not as absolutely terrible as what you'd get on an American airline, but not particularly good either.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What I want to know is: did you ever get off the plane, or just fly your way around the world eating airplane food?  It looks amazingly good.  Any idea what they serve in tourist class?

Spent five days, including Chinese New Years, in Hong Kong and two weeks in Thailand split between Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Puckett. I'll get around to posting some about those places too.

Tourist class - I'm guessing the scraps from the first class plates. Actually I believe Singapore Air does a good level of food service and general service at all fare levels.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

What is interesting to me is that the two caesar salads look quite different (Hong Kong to Singapore, and Singapore to Frankfurt). They were obviously prepared by different catering companies, but I had imagined that SQ would want to make the same dishes appear similar no matter which kitchen prepared them. Was there one that you prefer?

I was also surprised by the untidy appearance of many of the dishes. For first class, where there are fewer passengers to serve, I would imagine that it would be easier to present a prettier plate. Perhaps a problem is that some of the plates appear to big for the dishes, especially the fruit salad.

Thanks for the vicarious experience! What a great way to fly. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

edited for missing words and punctuation

Edited by Makan King (log)