• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another Cup of Coffee?

srhcb

I had lunch today with my Brother at an Applebees restaurant because it was conveniently located across from the construction site he's working at.

I won't comment on the food, it being about what you'd expect, but they had an interesting coffee service I'd never seen before.

When the server asked if I wanted another cup of coffee, and I replied in the affirmative, they replaced my empty cup with a new cup full of coffee and took the empty one away. The same thing happened when I had a third cup. :blink:

What's the point to this? Is the practice unique to Applebees? :huh:

SB (the coffee itself wasn't too bad :cool: )

They probably just didn't get a complete set of fingerprints from the first two cups.  I wouldn't worry about it.

That could be. I was once told by the fingerprinter for the DEA that I had very faint prints. (a long story having nothing to do with food)

were you drinking decaf or something?

Pretend this is [LARGE] and [ORANGE]:

PERISH THE THOUGHT!

SB (whew! :wacko: )

Edited by srhcb (log)

It could be that they're only brewing in a large urn and don't have smaller pots to bring around to the tables. If you get a refill on drinks at chains, they bring you whole new glasses because they can't have the dirty cups near the drinks fountain, so maybe they can't have the dirty coffee cups near the coffee dispenser.

Or maybe people ask for fewer refills if they know that they have to wait for a whole new cup rather than if a witress is waiting there with a pot.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

My guess was either that carrying coffeepots around was simply just wearing out everyone (what do you expect at a place named "Applebees" after all? I would get tired working there just thinking of my image as attached to the name which sounds like a pretend orchard where children go on field trips - it would not take long for me to become pale, thin, unable to do very much, and worried about my nails too) or else maybe they just were worried about lawsuits due to happy servers (again, the name Applebee's taken in a different direction, eliciting intense joy, leading to dancing in the aisles) who had been spilling coffee from the pots onto the customer's laps.

Could be either one, SB. Either one.

I think a new cup of coffee is a lovely idea. I don't want hot coffee poured on top of cold dregs in my used cup, because I have to add a lot of cream (or cream-like stuff) to make it drinkable. By then, it's too cold.

I had vowed to never darken Applebee's door again, but was there only two weeks ago: the grandson's HS graduation lasted until 10 p.m. and Applebee's was the only place open on the way home. I ordered hot tea and it came with honey. A nice gesture, but I don't care for honey.

A not-so-nice idea was serving salsa as "cocktail sauce" for the fried shrimp. And they forgot the cole slaw, but I didn't notice until the next day. Pathetic.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I don't have the foggiest idea of what "Applebee's"might be but if I order a second cup of coffee and it does NOT come in a fresh cup, I'll not drink it After all what lingers in the empty or half-empty cup of coffee is mostly the most bitter acids and those simply rob thefreshly poured coffee of much of its flavors and aromas.

Refilling the same coffee cup in Italy, France, Germany, Israel, Lebanon, or many other countries has something akin to using the same condom a second time.

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

I see this sort of thing with iced tea. I actually prefer it that way. A nice, new, fresh glass that I can adjust with lemon and sugar instead of having a nicely balanced glass getting all messed up when it gets topped off.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"