• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting South Florida

Marky Marc

What's with The Setai?  Anyone?

The Setai is a fairly new hotel / condo complex in South Beach. Stunning place. I've never stayed there (I usually stay next door at The Shore Club). Also, I have not dined at the primary restaurant but I have had apps and drinks at the beach bar.

Joe's StoneCrab - its traditional. The stonecrabs are good. So is the mustard sauce. The waiters have been there since gravity was invented. They dont take reservations. It pays to show up early (5:30) or for lunch.

The sides ... have never been what I consider a strong point, but they do have their die-hard fans. I havent been in a decade, I doubt anything on the menu has changed however. But I could be wrong. They did remodel the front entrance while I was living near there.

I've heard people swear the medium size claws are best both for taste and meat/$ ratio. I think it would be interesting to have all the folks at a table get a different size (jumbo, large, medium) and see.

However, there are other places to get stonecrab if the Joe's menu doesnt appeal. Stonecrab is worth getting.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

What's with The Setai?  Anyone?

The Setai is a fairly new hotel / condo complex in South Beach. Stunning place. I've never stayed there (I usually stay next door at The Shore Club). Also, I have not dined at the primary restaurant but I have had apps and drinks at the beach bar.

Sorry, was more looking for reports from the Dining Restaurant at the Setai.

It sure is stunning - and so are the prices. I thought the price of a 2 bedroom was a shockingly reasonable $300... until the reservationist on the phone informed me that there was a "1" in front of the "300." When I went back onto the website, sure enough: "1 300" - no comma; a mere 1K oversight. :shock:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I think I'm all set for the dinner.  What about Sunday brunch options?

Most everyone swears by the brunch at the Biltmore.

If you want to get off the beach, try Michael's Genuine in the Design District, the hottest restaurant in town (go for the pork belly in kimchee), and a very pleasant atmosphere.  I think Michy's has not kept up, but I would still say it is a very good restaurant, maybe gotten a little boring. 

I do not agree with you about Michy's at all...I thought both restaurants were some of the best small plates spots that I have been to, but Michy's has a tad more refinement.

How's Casa Tua these days?

Casa Tua: beautiful restaurant in a house decorated like Ralph Lauren's beach house...people watching spot, if you watch Entourage then I would swear the girl from Medellin was eating there but as they say look into the sun and you will go blind :laugh: ...great service, outstanding wine service but the food in no way measures to the rest of the experience...the price point is Del Posto but the execution is NOT, not even close

Edited by molto e (log)

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

As a first-time visit (with hopefully more in the future) I've narrowed it down to:

Dinners:

Talula

Michy's

Joe's Stone Crab

Lunches:

Versailles

Michael's Genuine...

Ortanique

Talula

Joe's Stone Crab

I only have 2 lunches (Saturday and Sunday) and three dinners (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Michy's is non-negotiable where it is. That means, I need to whittle down the lunches (and/or move around dinners to lunches with Joe's and Talula and then come up with two more dinner options).... Advice?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

As a first-time visit (with hopefully more in the future) I've narrowed it down to:

Dinners:

Talula

Michy's

Joe's Stone Crab

Lunches:

Versailles

Michael's Genuine...

Ortanique

Talula

Joe's Stone Crab

I only have 2 lunches (Saturday and Sunday) and three dinners (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Michy's is non-negotiable where it is. That means, I need to whittle down the lunches (and/or move around dinners to lunches with Joe's and Talula and then come up with two more dinner options).... Advice?

You may want to check out Jason Perlow's blog for his Cubano sandwich posts to see if that may influence you on the Cuban thing. I did not dig David's at all and I popped in that Puerto Sagua for a croquetta (old coffee shop looking place with good rustic Cuban food).

Talula came highly recommended but I did not make it...If you have not been to Joe's then that may interest you but you could also go to Joe to Go and not wait with the masses...Michael's Genuine is definitely worth a meal as is Sardinia for simple rustic Italian, though you are not wine person so perhaps that will not be as cool for you

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

I dug up my back-"Restaurant" issues of Gourmet Magazine. Where are they now?? Were they/are they worth the press?

Would love to hear what local Miamis think?

2004:

Big Deal - OLA and Mundo

Good Deal - Sushi Chef

Roger's Restaurant & Bar

Business - Bizcaya

Buzz - Prime 112

Classic - Norman's (now closed)

Neighborhood Gems - Captain Jim's Seafood Market & Restaurant, Pacific Time (now closed), and Tamarind Thai Restaurant.

2005 "Where to Eat Now" Issue focused on South American arepas and other latino fare from Lariana, La Crema de las Empanadas, and Moises Bakery.

I think it's interesting see what you all think. Although I do enjoy the articles, I am always weary of Gourmet's restaurant issues. I know from personal experiences, that often, their highlighted restaurants are often more about the "buzz" darlings of the moment, rather than the best food, necessarily. Just thought I'd throw this out.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm not a local Miamian so I can't answer your question as one.

I do spend 4 weeks a year there, and so I take an interest in the dining scene.

I don't have any experience with the Gourmet Mag restaurants you mention, except the humorous story that I had seen Captain Jim's featured on a segment of Rachel Ray's "$40" show, where she goes there to eat Stone Crab Claws and actually winds up eating a bowl of Blue Crabs, referring to them as Stone Crabs, and sucks at the 3/4 inch claws and says they're wonderful - but I'm sure that this was screwed up in the editing of the show, and am most positive that Captain Jim would not and could not confuse Stone Crab Claws with Blue Crabs.

And then a few years ago there was a Food Network Special with Ruth Reichl taking us on a one-hour dining tour of Miami, and losing her mind over Garcia's Seafood. So I went there a few weeks later and had a horrible meal, in which they took a gorgeous looking, and large, snapper that I had picked out of the case, and burned it to an inedibly dry crisp.

You might want to consider using the Miami New Times as a source for restaurants. Every restaurant that they have ever steered me to has been fantastic, and the ones I can remember include Chispa and Timo, and a right-on review of Michy's (though that wasn't my discovery of it, having read about it first on eGullet). Granted some of their picks have not stood the test of time (but restaurants do change owners and chefs and their food changes too) but at the time of the various reviews, all the places they recommended were top-notch.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Is it me or does Miami have a inordinately high restaurant mortality rate. In the last year, I believe, Norman's, Pacific Time, and Mundo have closed. I've heard that Chispa is also expecting to close soon.

As for lunch at Joe's Stone (there seems to be a consensus that it is best way to fit it into my limited schedule due to time and stomach power), how does their no-reservation system work? Does the party have to be complete in order to be put on the list? Is there a paging/buzzer system? Or, do they give you a time-slot to come back - so we might be able to do something else instead of sitting/standing in a crampt reception?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I would do Versailles for one of your lunches (or David's but Versailles is a bit better and much more of an experience in utter tackiness!)....its as good as basic Cuban cooking gets (at least the Miami version)...i.e. still pretty bland but.....kind of one to lock away for the memory bank so you've at least tried it.

Dinners:

Talula

Michy's

Joe's Stone Crab

Lunches:

Versailles

Michael's Genuine...

Ortanique

Talula

Joe's Stone Crab

Not sure when you're going, but be aware that Joe's Stone Crab is closed until October 12th: http://www.joesstonecrab.com/findus.html

I have to disagree with most of the readers, Capt Jims is ok if you are on a $10 a day budget, Michys is a poor imitation on Robuchon amongst others , Sardinia are you kidding a ripoff at best Michaels really mediocre for a foodie but ok to relax on Saturday night,Joes is a must destination if you have never been , just offer $20 at the door and the wait suddenly becomes shorter but if you go to my site www.gagit.net, you will find the best in most categories and email me at ergagit@mac.com for my personal favorites or questions on restaurants not reviewed.

I have to disagree with most of the readers, Capt Jims is ok if you are on a $10 a day budget, Michys is a poor imitation on Robuchon amongst others , Sardinia are you kidding a ripoff at best Michaels really mediocre for a foodie but ok to relax on Saturday night,Joes is a must destination if you have never been , just offer $20 at the door and the wait suddenly becomes shorter but if you go to my site www.gagit.net, you will find the best in most categories and email me at ergagit@mac.com for my personal favorites or questions on restaurants not reviewed.

Perhaps you could be a little more specific in your criticisms-'ripoff' 'poor imitation' 'really mediocre'-don't really have any meaning without details to back them up. And everyone knows that Capt. Jim's is a budget place-that's part of why it is so often mentioned-that serves very fresh fish cooked right.

Okay - new question. Last night, I attended an outdoor party where the host had invited a steel drum band. Awesome. It was balmy and breezy, and if you closed your eyes, the Midwest prairie plains could have been the Caribbean. (A land-locked Midwesterner can have his dreams, you know.).

Well, last night's brief escape and interlude in the work week reminded me of the Bahamas, where my family used to vacation (before it because a docking station for large floating party machines). One of my favorite treats as a child was the beach cook-out that we used to attend - with a live steal drum band. Any places in Miami or the Keys where we might be able to catch some local food at sunset with a steel drum band? I think it would be a great way to re-experience an old family favorite that we've missed for years.

We'll be going in late October - hopefully the weather isn't too cool by then to be en dehors at night?

Thanks in advance, everyone, for your help. I promise to report back.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Okay - new question.  Last night, I attended an outdoor party where the host had invited a steel drum band.  Awesome.  It was balmy and breezy, and if you closed your eyes, the Midwest prairie plains could have been the Caribbean.  (A land-locked Midwesterner can have his dreams, you know.). 

Well, last night's brief escape and interlude in the work week reminded me of the Bahamas, where my family used to vacation (before it because a docking station for large floating party machines).  One of my favorite treats as a child was the beach cook-out that we used to attend - with a live steal drum band.  Any places in Miami or the Keys where we might be able to catch some local food at sunset with a steel drum band?  I think it would be a great way to re-experience an old family favorite that we've missed for years.

We'll be going in late October - hopefully the weather isn't too cool by then to be en dehors at night?

Thanks in advance, everyone, for your help.  I promise to report back.

In Key West, you have to work harder to avoid a Steel Drummer than to find one!

This guy did my stepdaughter's wedding, and has a couple of regular gigs at Cheeseburger, and the Westin Also, steel drums always feature at the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square. Several food carts, but there are plenty of bars and restaurants convenient to the celebrations, and most of them feature steel drums in one form or another.

I know I've seen them round and about Miami as well, have to ask hubby for details.

• 1 month later...

I'm at the t-minus stage on my upcoming trip to Miami. So far, I'm planning to hit three of the following four for dinner: Michy's, Michael's Genuine, Talula, or Ortanique on the Mile. I will probably try to squeeze in Versailles and Joe's Stone Crab for lunches.

Any updates, suggestions? Part of me really wants to go to Michy's just to mark it off my list (it's been there forever). But, party of me is really afraid (from recent reports) of being terribly disappointed. I heard there's a new dish involvining a (read one large) prawn for $20. That's on par with Robuchon's $17 "Langoustine" at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon - which I found terribly over-priced.

Right now, I'm leaning toward Michy's, Talalua and Michael's. Any recent visits/reports from you all to inform my decision?

BTW, what's the weather been like down there? I need to check.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm at the t-minus stage on my upcoming trip to Miami.  So far, I'm planning to hit three of the following four for dinner: Michy's, Michael's Genuine, Talula, or Ortanique on the Mile.  I will probably try to squeeze in Versailles and Joe's Stone Crab for lunches.

Any updates, suggestions?  Part of me really wants to go to Michy's just to mark it off my list (it's been there forever).  But, party of me is really afraid (from recent reports) of being terribly disappointed.  I heard there's a new dish involvining a (read one large) prawn for $20.  That's on par with Robuchon's $17 "Langoustine" at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon - which I found terribly over-priced.

Right now, I'm leaning toward Michy's, Talalua and Michael's. Any recent visits/reports from you all to inform my decision?

BTW, what's the weather been like down there?  I need to check.

We just returned from Miami (went down primarily for the operatic tenor Juan Diego Florez's concert at the Carnival Center) and had several meals at Michys and loved it as we always have (and I've posted lots of photos of these meals on the Michy's thread).

We had the jumbo prawn

gallery_11181_4845_18440.jpg

and found it to be utterly delicious, and until we read your post earlier this morning, and compared notes, we realized that it had never crossed either of our minds that it wasn't entirely worth the price of the dish.

However, if you're afraid that at $20 the large prawn will disappoint you, there are of course lots of other delicious things on the menu to order. I just had 4 dinners there in 6 days and found it to be as good as the very first time I went and all the (now dozens) of times I've been back since. Still, if you have hesitations, and other places to try in a limited time, maybe you'd want to skip it this trip.

In which case I won't mention that the night of our concert, we needed to eat very early, and dined at Mo's Bagels and Deli in Aventura (while the traffic died down getting to downtown), and had an utterly delicious meal of Boiled Beef Flanken in a pot of Matzoh Ball Soup, and Stuffed Cabbage, both every bit as good as my old Jewish grandmother used to make, both being even better than the versions we used to get at Rascal House. I'd have gone back here again for dinner if they didn't close so damned early (you have to be done and out the door by 9 pm which is before I even leave for dinner in the first place).

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

By the way, I'm not much of a sweet tooth, but I know that among my dining companions (my family on this trip) there are plenty... any desserts that shouldn't go without being ordered at either Michy's or Michael's (people seem so fixated on their savories) - or Talula, Versailles or Joe's Stone Crab, for that matter? I know the key lime pie at Joe's is pretty much required, as far as I've heard.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I just wrapped up three days of great eating in Miami. I have to admit to a bit of whining and anxiety about the food scene in Miami (all, admittedly, prejudice) - but man, I have to say that I was pretty impressed by what I experienced.

Here is what I managed to squeeze into my vacation:

2 Lunches:

Joe's Stone Crab

Versailles

3 Dinners:

Michy's

Michael's Genuine Food & Wine

Sardinia Ristorante/Enoteca

The dinners went a little something like this: Good (Michy's), better (Michael's...), best (Sardinia...). I'll be posting reviews of each meal and links to photos in their respective forum. I'll update this thread as a "table of contents" as I progress. Here we go...

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I just wrapped up three days of great eating in Miami.  I have to admit to a bit of whining and anxiety about the food scene in Miami (all, admittedly, prejudice) - but man, I have to say that I was pretty impressed by what I experienced.

Thank you so much for that! We do have some exceptionally good food here - and are justifiably proud of it.

I've read your updates so far. Yes, the strawberries and cayenne at Michael's are an amazing thing. I wouldn't give up sex for it, but they are amazing. I am not that into sweets either.