• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rutts Hutt - What???

Sheri-FB

• 3 weeks later...
The Windmill in West Long Branch...

There's a Windmill in West Long Branch? Where is it? :wink:

West Long Branch does not have a Windmill. There is a Windmill (actually the original Windmill) in the West End section of Long Branch.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

Hmmmmm, that's what I thought...

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Sorry I'm late, I'm a new member...

I have experience in the field of hot dogs, I've been eating them since I was a child. I grew up on "All-the-Way." My rankings of "All-the-Way" places follow (If it ain't listed I haven't eaten there):

1. Hot Grill-- my favorite "all-the-way" place. Spicier then most. Best sauce. Bigger chunks of onion if you like that.

2. Goffle Grill-- real solid. Everything's good. My favorite sauce after Hot Grill.

3. Johnny and Hanges-- the Paterson location was what my family patronized most often when I was a kid. I'll never forget that graffiti filled bathroom! The sauce seems fattier than most (lighter in color). The prices are very high. I've been to the new location 4-5 times and won't be back because of it.

4. Haledon Grill-- I haven't been there in a while. I remember it being average.

5. Riverside East Grill-- see Haledon.

5. Clixie's-- Sauce is similar to J&H's but blander. I don't enjoy it as much. Still decent but Goffle Grill is down the street. It obviously has a loyal following though or it'd go out of business.

Non "All-the-way" places of note:

as previously mentioned Rutt's Hutt is great. I love the relish. If you like Italian hot dogs there is a place called Newark Style on rt 1 in/near Edison that is excellent. It's real "mom & pop" and the bread they use is fabulous.

That is all from me. Sorry if this post is completely uninformative, I'm new to this food review thing.

Liquid Bread,

I enjoyed your rankings of "All the way" places. I will be going to Johhny and Hanges soon. I haven't tried them or #'s 4,5 and 6 on your list. I know you said that you haven't tried any places not listed, but did you miss Libby's? Located in Paterson and one of the oldest and most popular places for a Texas Weiner all the way.

The dogs listed are examples of the Paterson Area or Hot Texas Weiner. These are deep fried and topped with chili or "all the way sauce". The other style is the Plainfield Area Texas Weiner. These dogs are cooked on a griddle rather than deep fried and topped with a thicker, drier, chili sauce. The oldest of these places is Texas Weiner l in Plainfield. Opened in 1924. Texas Weiner ll in Greenbrook opened in 1928. Many other places in this style opened when employees of these places opened their own restaurants. Manny's Texas Weiner in Union is an example. There are also Texas Weiners in Dunellen, South Plainfield, Morristown, Middlesex, Irvington and elsewhere. Red Tower is on rt22 close to Texas Weiner ll. These places almost all use the Grote & Weigle Texas Weiner Brand dog. The original and the one in Middlesex used Schickhaus. But as of last year, Grote and Weigle started making Schickhaus again (they did prior to 1990 and then stopped till last year) and I don't know if it's used anymore. I know the original Texas Weiner in Plainfield uses the G&W Texas Weiner brand and not Schickhaus anymore. Both are very similar. A pork/beef dog 6 to a lb with a tough casing. They cook well on a griddle.

All of these places are similar; even the chili. I would stay away from Texas Weiner ll because they are about $3.50 while the others are $2.03 (Manny's in Union) to $2.20 (the original in Plainfield and most of the others). I go to Manny's because it is close to me. The chili is a little darker and sweeter (molasses maybe?). But all are good.

Again, comparing these dogs to the Paterson Area or "Hot" Texas Weiners is apples and oranges. One is griddled with thicker chili sauce; the other is deep fried with thinner, spicier sauce. My favorite Texas Weiner of this style is the Hot Grill. By far, the best chili sauce I ever had. The dog is made by Sabrett and is 50% beef and 50% pork. Second is Libby's and third is Goffle Grill. These 2 use the special Thumann's dog for deep frying that is used at Rutt's Hut and Hiram's in Fort Lee. I actually like this dog a little better than the Hot Grill's dog; but the Hot Grill's chili is so good that I like their Texas Weiner better. By the way, the dog served at the Hot Grill is the same Sabrett dog (beef and pork) served at Callahan's in Ft. Lee. Except the Callahan's dog is bigger. This big dog is the same one served at the Windmill; only it is griddled instead of deep fried.

When not in the mood for chili, I like Rutt's because of the relish; and also because you can get one well done without having to wait longer; they are already cooking in the oil when you walk in.

Frank's Newark Style dogs on rt 1 are good; but Tommy's in Elizabeth and Charlies in Kenilworth are better.

John the hot dog guy

I haven't tried them or #'s 4,5 and 6 on your list. I know you said that you haven't tried any places not listed, but did you miss Libby's? Located in Paterson and one of the oldest and most popular places for a Texas Weiner all the way.

I haven't been to Libby's but I definately should go there. I've driven by plenty, just never at lunch time!

2 mistakes I made: #5 is the RiverVIEW East not Riverside. It's in Elmwood Park on River Road. I forgot to mention Falls View on rt 46. I never was at their original location in Paterson and they also have one in Pompton Lakes (I think). The one on 46 is just east of Willowbrook Mall. It's good but nothing special, I'd probably squeeze it in around 4 or 5.

2 mistakes I made:  #5 is the RiverVIEW East not Riverside.  It's in Elmwood Park on River Road.  I forgot to mention Falls View on rt 46.  I never was at their original location in Paterson and they also have one in Pompton Lakes (I think).  The one on 46 is just east of Willowbrook Mall.  It's good but nothing special, I'd probably squeeze it in around 4 or 5.

I've not been impressed with the Falls View in Totowa on 46E. Chili is very watery, dog isn't interesting to me.

The Anthony Wayne has a decent dog, better than Falls View, I think Holly and I discussed it in a thread last year. Dark place inside, dark woodpaneling, out of the 1950s. Diagonally across 46 on the westbound side, in front of the Div of Motor Vehicles. The DMV is easily recognizable by the crowd of illegals in front buying phony IDs

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

The Anthony Wayne has a decent dog, better than Falls View, I think Holly and I discussed it in a thread last year. Dark place inside, dark woodpaneling, out of the 1950s.

I've been there. I'm not really into grilled dogs. I appreciate the effort they make but I think the dogs are too dry. Nice atmosphere though.

Just a few notes.

The Rascal house on Rt 46 closed and has been demolished. They had pretty much the same dog's as does the Hot Grill. I remember talking to the couple that owned it because they would give me a quart or so of the chili sauce to take back to Florida with me. When they closed down there was a sign out front directing people over to the Hot Grill in Clifton. Must be somehow related. Maybe john knows the story behind that.

My dad is from Passaic and used to go to Rutt's when he was a kid. Do you all remember when the perfume plant was over there in Lackawana and it would smell like perfume outside of Rutt's Hut all the time?

I also tried the Fallsview on Rt. 46 and did not like it at all.

Out in Detroit they have their version of the Texas Weiner and they call it a "Coney" - it's like the north jersey ones, unlike the Plainfield/RT22 version.

I also tried Texas Weiner II on Rt. 22 one evening on my way home from work and wasn't too thrilled either.

We need to start a discussion about the "Frenchy's" with or without gravy or chili sauce. I think Hot Grill comes in first for a nice "Frenchy 1 - Gravy" gotta love that lingo!

-Scott

does anyone know what that "hot grill" place in hackensack is all about?  a bit down from white manna???

Double O mentioned "dogs with coleslaw (I've only seen this at the Hot Dog Hut in Hackensack)" but I think Tommy's talking about the Dog House Grill (not sure of the name... it's on River Street right by the bridge into Bogota).

I haven't been to either of these (and for all I know, they might be the same place :wacko: )

edit: First post on a new page has to look nice!

Edited by 201 (log)

We need to start a discussion about the "Frenchy's" with or without gravy or chili sauce.  I think Hot Grill comes in first for a nice "Frenchy 1 - Gravy"  gotta love that lingo!

I'd love the lingo if I knew what the hell it meant! What's a "Frenchy"? :blink:

I also used to go to Rascals, but it was so long ago that I can't trust my memory to compare it with other places. I do remember liking it (though I also used to like peanut butter & butter sandwiches).

Fries. With gravy, gravy and cheese, or all the way (chile, onions, and mustard), Then there's the seasoned type, tater tots, etc. The list goes on and on.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 2 months later...
I made my first trip to Rutt's today and I also found their dogs mushy and not that great. I will admit the relish was very good and the atmosphere was great but can't say as I will return.

mushy how? i've never heard anyone characterize their hots dogs, which are deep fried and cripsy, as "mushy." maybe you got a bad batch.

I made my first trip to Rutt's today and I also found their dogs mushy and not that great. I will admit the relish was very good and the atmosphere was great but can't say as I will return.

mushy how? i've never heard anyone characterize their hots dogs, which are deep fried and cripsy, as "mushy." maybe you got a bad batch.

Holy deja vu, Batman! :shock:

Check out the first two posts in this thread, Tommy. (though the statement WAS retracted in later posts) :laugh:

Alright, I originally WAS going to have Mexican for lunch, but now I'm thinking about hitting a couple of hot dog places instead. Damn you, eGullet.... DAMMMMNNNN YOOOUUUUUU!!!

I decided to head over to Rutt's Hutt today and see if maybe the roof was leaking rain and causing the dogs to become "mushy". Along the way, I stopped by The Hot Grill for a little bit of an appetizer. I'd been to The Hot Grill before, but this was actually my first visit to Rutt's and I must say that the latter is one hell of an experience!

But first, The Hot Grill: For a rainy afternoon, this place was pretty crowded. There were still tables available, but there was barely any space around the long counter where orders are placed. I think it's funny how rigid these counter guys are, but they're certainly efficient. I got a plain dog and one with just sauce, but I have to admit that I still don't "get" all-the-way-sauce. I know lots of people love it, but I'd prefer a meatier chili anyday. In any case, my visit to the Hot Grill today was mostly for referential knowledge (damn shame what eGullet can do to you sometimes :laugh: ).

Then it was on to Rutt's Hutt: All I can say about the bar area is "wow". Timewarp doesn't even BEGIN to convey the full impact of that space. The "dining room" is a little lighter, but I made sure that I secured a seat in the beautiful dank. Boy, was I glad that I was wearing plaid flannel 'cause the stuff works like camoflauge in there. Anyway, I actually asked for a menu and was sort of surprised at the amount of dishes offered. Not that I would order many of them outside of some sort of morbid curiosity (sauerbraten in THIS place?) but it just adds so much to the exprerience to see a specials board. Has anyone ventured outside of hot dog territory in this place? Please share!

I was completely bowled over by the atmosphere so I decided to indulge a little slice of the aforementioned morbid curiosity. I ordered: one ripper, one cremator, and one bbq pork sandwich. They were (respectively): very good, very bad, and very VERY funny!

First, the very good. I took a couple of bites of the ripper before applying the relish so that I could just compare the base dog with that of The Hot Grill. I like the dogs at Rutt's better, which is strange because I like the all-beef dogs at Johnny & Hanges and I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong) that Rutt's dog has less beef content than that of The Hot Grill. I'm guessing it's all in the spicing, because overall the Rutt's dog seems to have more flavor. The skin was nice and crisp and the inside certainly did not make me think "mushy". Perhaps it's the oil that a couple of posters didn't like? I just don't know. In any case, next time I'm going to order a weller, because I think that might be even more to my taste.

Next, the very bad. The cremator... man, they aren't kidding!! It looks like the charred corpse of a hot dog and that's exactly what it is. It's more like an oily crouton than a hot dog and definitely the sort of thing that is used in sentences such as, "I dare you to eat 5 cremators with NO water." Probably the funniest thing about getting this cremator was that when the waitress brought out the plate of hot dogs, she actually felt the need to identify which one the cremator was! As though my friend and I wouldn't be able to tell that the BLACK one was the cremator and the other three were the rippers! :laugh: I guess there's a reason why my friend had never seen anyone order one.

Now, the very funny. To be honest, I wasn't sure what I was expecting from a $1.55 barbeque pork sandwich. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if that's what was on my plate. Picture the saddest, plainest little smooth hamburger bun you can imagine, put two thin greyish slices of meat on it, and top the meat with a thin brown gravy. Wow. What was barbeque about this sandwich? Damned if I know. Eating it brought to mind oddly contrasting food memories like roast beef with gravy (understandable given the brown gravy) and the taylor ham sandwiches my grade school cafeteria served (I think that had to do with the bun and tiny amount of meat). Regardless, at no point did it remind me of any sort of barbeque, but I'm glad that the memories of this sandwich will be tied forever to my first time at Rutt's Hutt! :laugh:

Finally, the relish. This was different from what I expected, but I did really enjoy it. I was commenting on how it seemed closer to sauerkraut than sweet relish when my friend pointed out that it's made from cabbage. Makes sense. I loaded both the ripper and the cremator up with relish after sampling it, but NOTHING was going to help that cremator get better! The ripper on the other hand went from very good to excellent and I think a weller with relish is probably near perfection. I think I expected the relish to be bolder too, but it's subtle. Definitely not as subtle as the toppings at Super Duper Weenie in Connecticut, but that's definitely a plus for Rutt's relish in my book.

Did I really just write that much about hot dogs? :wacko:

edit: Typo.

Edited by 201 (log)

great report.

i've been going to Rutt's for about 15 years, and i've never had anything but dogs, fries, and beer.

I forgot to order fries this time around, but my friend ordered the onion rings about which he had heard good things. I didn't try any, but he said they were just "standard", which I take to mean that he'll stick to fries the next time.

Oh yeah, I noticed that The Hot Grill uses Hunt's ketchup. I can only hope that Rutt's Hutt has Heinz.

Fries are standard at both Rutts and Hot Grill (isn't it a pain to get there since they extended rt21). Try getting the fries well done and "all the way" at Hot Grill and add a squirt of Hunts (it seems to make it spicier). 201, real men only eat around back at Rutts where they make the dogs so there's no time for the dogs to deflate and there's no place to sit :laugh::laugh: Fathers bring their sons, they've got a kid height ledge especially built just for them. A small bit of Rutts lore:The man who originally ownrd Rutts supposedly invented the dog that would puff up when you fried it. And made all his dogs right on the premisises.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

double o, i have to say that for the first several years of my rutt's hut experience, i went exclusively to the "dining" area (which is really just an old man's bar). i only recently went to the stand up bit, and that's generally because i'm alone when i go. i do, however, appreciate the back room for all of its nostalgia, dankness, the bartender yelling into the mic "TWO DOGS, PEPSI ONE!!!,"* and beer.

i think both sections offer a unique experience, even when compared to each other.

* not the 1 calorie pepsi, but rather the number of pepsis (pepsi's?).

Edited by tommy (log)

Enjoyed reading about your experience at Rutt's. I do believe that you will prefer the weller to the others. I went a couple of weeks ago and took my father and brother. It was their first time. They had rippers, then wellers. Both preferred the wellers. I agree with you about the cremators. Definitely overdone.

As for the Hot Grill, their dogs are 50% beef, 50% pork. Made by Sabrett. This is the same dog used by Callahan's. Same recipe, same cooking method (deep fried) but different sizes. Callahan's are bigger. The Rutt's dog is a Thumann's made specifically for deep frying. I was told by the plant manager that the standard Thumann's frank sold in the store is 75% pork 25% beef. The Rutt's dog (also used at Libby's, Hiram's and the Goffle Grill) is even higher in pork content. 80 or 85%.

I prefer the dog at Rutt's to the Hot Grill's dog. Just tastier. And I do love the thin chili sauce at the Hot Grill. The all beef dog at Syd's and the one at Father & Son are spicier than the dogs with pork. Rutt's and Syd's have a lot of flavor; while one is a spicy kosher style dog, the other is a tasty pork based dog. I think the spices and meat used accounts for the boldness in taste rather than % of beef. As you said, the Hot Grill's dog has more beef, but is definitely blander than the Rutt's dog. I think this is intentional. The dog is a holder for the chili sauce. Sort of like the dog at Super Duper Weenie is a canvas for their toppings. What did you think of the Super Duper Weenie? I thought it was ok; but the pork and beef dogs here are better. Thumann's, Schickhaus, and Grote & Weigel are tastier than the Miller dog used by SDW. Their relish tastes more like salsa than relish. Toppings and condiments are good; but you have to have a tasty dog first and foremost. A Polish deli in Linden (Pulaski) makes beef and pork franks that are very spicy. They use a lot of paprika and garlic which is more typical of an all beef dog.

Rutt's also has great creamy cole slaw.

John the hot dog guy