• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rutts Hutt - What???

Sheri-FB

Since this has gotten to other hotdog places let me include Hot Grill in Clifton. They have excellent fried dogs with superior chili. They also have good frozen fries and if yiu order it well done all the way you get it like a Texas weiner. Delish. Forget Goffle, forget Clixes their booths are too narrow.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Forget Goffle, forget Clixes their booths are too narrow.

As I said above (in my first post under this topic), Clifton is the place worth travelling to if you want hot dogs. The Hot Grill for "chili" dogs and Rutt's Hutt for rippers with relish.

However, if in the neighborhood of Hawthorne (and not wanting to drive elsewhere), I would suggest The Goffle Grill over Clixes.

As far as Johnny & Hanges goes, I've only been there once since they moved out of Paterson and I can't really remember how they stacked up in the grand scheme of things. Not to say they're unmemorable, but I'd need to do a new comparison.

As far as Johnny & Hanges goes, I've only been there once since they moved out of Paterson and I can't really remember how they stacked up in the grand scheme of things.  Not to say they're unmemorable, but I'd need to do a new comparison.

i think you need to try it again. at the very least so that i'm not the only person on this board who has an opinion on it. :unsure:

As far as Johnny & Hanges goes, I've only been there once since they moved out of Paterson and I can't really remember how they stacked up in the grand scheme of things.  Not to say they're unmemorable, but I'd need to do a new comparison.

i think you need to try it again. at the very least so that i'm not the only person on this board who has an opinion on it. :unsure:

I was actually thinking the same thing myself. Plus which, all this talk of hot dogs has give me the strange desire to eat them. I'll get there before the end of the week.

I was actually thinking the same thing myself.  Plus which, all this talk of hot dogs has give me the strange desire to eat them.  I'll get there before the end of the week.

that's strange? my meals are generally based on the topic du jour on egullet. yesterday i read a steak thread and ended up at a steakhouse. i've been to more sushi places than i need to. and once someone mentions pasta, forget about it. oh dear, i just did.

J&H is much different then the orignal in Patterson. The old one was o hole, the new one is bright and clean. The old one was like Hot Grill but not as nice. I think the dogs were comparable. The new one has two things I like alot, dogs with coleslaw( I've only seen this at the Hot Dog Hut in Hackensack) and tater tots. The chilr sauce is okay and the prices are alot higher than other places,up to $3.00 for a hotdog.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Well, I actually ended up hitting Johnny & Hanges a couple of hours ago. They offer two different types of hot dogs there, the regular "Jersey wiener" which is pork and beef as well as the "bigger" ones which are pure beef. I got a plain one of the former and an Italian style of the latter. I have to say that I definitely prefer the all-beef dog. It's got seasonings which just give it more of a kick, though I'm not sure how much I liked the Italian style toppings. I've got visit one of those Italian style hot dog places discussed on a previous thread before I make a judgement call on the whole genre though.

As Double O said, Johnny and Hanges have tater tots (again referred to as "potato rounds") which is a plus, but I didn't get them this time around.

I'm going to have to hit some other places this week so I can make a more informed comparison.

well, i made to to clixes, j&h, and goffle. it was the holy trinity. the bermuda triangle for diets. the three-peat, followed with "repeat."

i had never been to clixes. i was pleased to see that it was more of a family operation than the other two. i'm guessing the owner was doing the cooking. i had one dog and put mustard on it. the dog was fatter than both j&h and goffle. it was deep fried, and had reasonble "snap." the only drawback was the bun to dog ratio: the bun was a bit too hefty for the dog. i'll go back though, as it's a pleasant oldschool experience overall.

goffle. definitely *not* a family run type of place. kids behind the counter. horrible soda, unless i got a bum cup. the dog was slightly smaller (in diameter) than clixes, but offered a good bun to dog ratio. deep fried, and a little less crispy than clixes. good mustard. better mustard than clixes i think.

f&h. even though it was the 3rd dog i had in 10 minutes, i found it to be the best. i do like this place. good bun to dog ratio. nice bite and snap on the dog.

please note: clixes is having a special today (9/11) and tomorrow: hot dogs are 1 dollar. git yerself down there.

well, i made to to clixes, j&h, and goffle.  it was the holy trinity.  the bermuda triangle for diets.  the three-peat, followed with "repeat." 

Funny enough, that was my ORIGINAL plan yesterday, but I started with J&H first, got two dogs, then decided to go to Totowa to get some ice cream, and then thought it would be a good time to drop in on a chef friend of mine...

In short, I got side-tracked and filled up on all sorts of food unrelated to hot dogs. Luckily we have Tommy to stay focused!

Anyone ever go down to JJ's - where his slogan is "Eat ME" on Bloomfield Avenue by the park in Newark? He has been there as long as I can remember.

Great late night snack with a "Chcocolate Cow" which is like a Yoohoo!

-Scott

I've been to JJ's a few times. It is right down the street from Calandra's bakery. This place is so popular because it's open almost 24 hours and frequented by hungry college kids. The dogs are small Sabretts (11 to a lb). The skin is really tough on the 11's for some reason. The 10's are better; not to mention bigger. What's distinctive about JJ's is that they have the spiciest chili. Even spicier than Boulevard Drinks and Father & Son. Too spicy for me. You can't eat the chili with out having something to drink. This is the place for the spiciest hot onions and chili combo you'll find.

John the hot dog guy

What about water dogs? Hank's Franks(buy 8 get one free), RT 46e just before Tetterboro Airport, have those 2oz Sabretts that seem to go down in just two bites. They have the usual toppings Texas, hot and sweet onoins, kraut and relish. Their dogs seem a little "cleaner" than regular pushcart dogs, mzybe they change the water more often. Just a side note Sabretts has a store in Clifton where you can rent dog carts for parties

• 1 month later...

I was in a farmers market on Rt. 46 in Totowa the other day and saw that they sell jars of the Sabrett onion sauce - the kind you get with your dirt water dog in the city.

I am sure this sauce is available elsewhere but it caught my eye.

p.s. This market has some nice looking fruit and vegetables, and less of a croud than Corrado's. The prices seem fair. It's on the east bound side set back just as you pass the Mitsubishi 46 auto dealer.

Wow, Eagan's is no more??

I am heartbroken.

I loved the fact that they had a regular restaurant in the back, with a full bar, booths, and table service - decent turkey sandwiches, too!

What is the world coming to? I hadn't noticed a shortage of drugstores in the area.

Tommy: "Nice bite and snap on the dog"..that's food writing, and yes, I really mean it.

John: I abhore hot dogs of any and every kind, and have since my earliest youth. And I live in the home of the famed Chicago Hot Dog!

But your knowledge of the subject is pretty damned awesome. Thanks!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Sabrett onion sauce - the kind you get with your dirty water dog in the city. I am sure this sauce is available elsewhere but it caught my eye.

I last bought it at my local Shop Rite. I poured it into a 16 oz Corian dish and heated it on the top rack of our grill last time we made dogs. Along with saurkraut and some chili in other dishes, it was our own little hot dog stand.

If you like some heat to your dogs... head to Fink's and treat yourself to an "Atomic Dog". It's got Creole mustard and spicy onions (they use the Sabrett onion sauce as a base) . The one I ate last week even had a splash of Screamin' Chicken sauce on it, because Fink knows that I like the heat!

Those Fink employees are very good about working with my special requests. They use Sabrett's hot dogs and you can get them either grilled or fried. I like the chili there too, so I usually like to get a chili dog as an appetizer, but I can't believe I waited so long to try that "Atomic Dog"!

edit: Just realized that the "Sabrett onion sauce" was pertinent information since it had been mentioned a couple of times already.

Actually it is Sabrett Style Onion Sauce, we make it ourselves, and the Atomic Dog usually comes with some Screaming Chicken in it, 201's just has some extra on it.

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Actually it is Sabrett Style Onion Sauce, we make it ourselves, and the Atomic Dog usually comes with some Screaming Chicken in it,  201's just has some extra on it.

Thanks for the clarification... I didn't mean to belittle your efforts in making the sauce!! It's damn impressive. :wink: