• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Khadija

I'm looking for an amazing peanut-butter chocolate chip cookie recipe, so I can make a batch and send to a friend for his birthday. He is a peanut-butter/chocolate fiend, so I want to make the cookies a little bit more special than your average Reese's Pieces.

I always think the thing that makes peanut-butter/chocolate so good is the salty/sweet/rich-fattiness. I plan to use a very high quality dark chocolate bar, broken into chunks for the chocolate chips. I'd like to add some really good salt to the batter (I prefer French gray salt, but I'm open to suggestions). What I really need is a recipe for the base. I'd like a thick, chewy cookie.

One issue is that my friend lives in another province, so I have to send the cookies to him (courier). So, I will need a recipe that will keep, a little. If anyone has advice on shipping baked goods, I'd appreciate the information. I don't have much experience.

I'm looking for an amazing peanut-butter chocolate chip cookie recipe, so I can make a batch and send to a friend for his birthday.  He is a peanut-butter/chocolate fiend, so I want to make the cookies a little bit more special than your average Reese's Pieces.

I always think the thing that makes peanut-butter/chocolate so good is the salty/sweet/rich-fattiness.  I plan to use a very high quality dark chocolate bar, broken into chunks for the chocolate chips.  I'd like to add some really good salt to the batter (I prefer French gray salt, but I'm open to suggestions).  What I really need is a recipe for the base.  I'd like a thick, chewy cookie.

One issue is that my friend lives in another province, so I have to send the cookies to him (courier).  So, I will need a recipe that will keep, a little.  If anyone has advice on shipping baked goods, I'd appreciate the information.  I don't have much experience.

I just made a batch of these, and thought they were really good. Unlike most other peanut butter recipes, they don't add extra butter or shortening. The result is a less greasy cookie, which I prefer. However, they will not be thick/chewy.....

1 cup smooth peanut butter, preferably Skippy brand

1 cup dark brown sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 large egg, lightly beaten

2 Tbsp. finely chopped peanuts (optional)

¼ cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350° and position two racks in the upper and lower thirds. Mix ingredients. Roll tablespoons of the dough into 24 balls. Set on 2 sheets, and crosshatch with fork tines. Bake for 15 minutes, shifting the baking sheets from front to back and bottom to top, until cookies are lightly browned and set. Cool on a wire rack.

Makes 2 dozen.

See if you can't round up a copy of "Book of Great Cookies" by Maida Heatter. She has several peanut butter/peanut and chcolate cookies, a couple of which are much more sophisticated, and would ship and store more easily. Sadly, this book is out of print, but a library should have a copy.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

See if you can't round up a copy of "Book of Great Cookies" by Maida Heatter.  She has several peanut butter/peanut and chcolate cookies, a couple of which are much more sophisticated, and would ship and store more easily.  Sadly, this book is out of print, but a library should have a copy.

Thanks for the advice! I'll check the public library!

See if you can't round up a copy of "Book of Great Cookies" by Maida Heatter.  She has several peanut butter/peanut and chcolate cookies, a couple of which are much more sophisticated, and would ship and store more easily.  Sadly, this book is out of print, but a library should have a copy.

You can still find it used on Amazon.

clicky