• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veggies for Dessert

Those all sound delicious, May. :smile:

P.S. I don't blame you, about the carrot juice. I feel the same way myself. Carrot juice reminds me of something Evelyn Waugh wrote:

Mrs. Beaver stood with her back to the fire, eating her morning yogurt. She held the carton close to her chin and gobbled with a spoon . . . "Heavens, how nasty this stuff is. I wish you'd take to it, John . . . I don't know how I should get through my day without it."

(Just put in "carrot juice" where it says "yogurt".)

We are much better tasting live and crunchy.

How are you churned and chilled?

SB  :rolleyes:

I can't tell you that. That's up to you to decide. :rolleyes:

But with a piece of parsnip cake alongside I'd probably be pretty happy. :smile:

How about dosed with sherry and served bottom-up?

Carrot Pudding.

Take a pint of Cream, and two penny Loaves grated, and as much raw Carrots grated; eight eggs, but half the whites, a Nutmeg grated, a little Sack [sherry] and Rose-water, half a pound of Butter melted, and as much Sugar as you think fit, two spoonfuls of Flower; stir it well together, it must be pretty thin, put it in a Dish butter’d, let it bake a little above an hour, turn it out of the Dish with the bottom upward; serve it up with Butter and Sugar. (1705 recipe)

Sorry, couldnt resist it. :raz::raz::raz:

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

How are you churned and chilled?

SB  :rolleyes:

I can't tell you that. That's up to you to decide. :rolleyes:

But with a piece of parsnip cake alongside I'd probably be pretty happy. :smile:

How about dosed with sherry and served bottom-up?

Carrot Pudding.

Take a pint of Cream, and two penny Loaves grated, and as much raw Carrots grated; eight eggs, but half the whites, a Nutmeg grated, a little Sack [sherry] and Rose-water, half a pound of Butter melted, and as much Sugar as you think fit, two spoonfuls of Flower; stir it well together, it must be pretty thin, put it in a Dish butter’d, let it bake a little above an hour, turn it out of the Dish with the bottom upward; serve it up with Butter and Sugar. (1705 recipe)

Sorry, couldnt resist it. :raz::raz::raz:

:laugh: Really, I can't even think of a quote in response to this one. :raz:

But reading your post, and seeing "flour" spelled "flower", made me wonder if we can categorize flowers as veggies (for purposes of the kitchen). To me they would be more veggie-like than fruit-like . . . :smile:

Would the bulb from an edible variety of tiger lily qualify as a vegetable, or is it still a flower? I make a sweet dessert soup with the bulbs, rock sugar, lotus nuts and noodles.

Green tomato slices as "apple pie'.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

there's an Italian (Florentine) spinach/almond dessert in Claudia Rodens´Book of Jewish Food

In the Italian forum, Franci traces the origins of a dessert Maggiethecat's MIL prepares to nearby Lucca where chard is used--as in Nice. I wonder if spinach is Florentine or if it is an early compensation for chard which was not widely available in the US until the past decade or so.

The vegetable has already been mentioned, but kudos to Nina C. who prepared a Neapolitan chocolate & eggplant torta last year.

An early Moosewood cookbook has an excellent recipe for a Russian chocolate & sauerkraut torte (cake in this case).

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I make a sweet dessert soup with the bulbs, rock sugar, lotus nuts and noodles.

Dessert soup - Now there's an idea worth more exploring. I have a recipe for chocolate soup somewhere, and another for coconut soup (historic recipes of course) - and one day I intend to make both and pour them simultaneously into each half of the bowls in that arty way that restaurants do it. Chocolate-Coconut Soup. How good would that be?

[Oops - can I count chocolate as a vegetable? that's probably pushing our definition too far, Yes?]

Edited by The Old Foodie (log)

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I've also had Filipino corn maja blanca, a "white pudding" made from coconut milk with corn kernels added.

There's a Chinese dessert that is almost the same, except that "ma dou" (yellow split peas??) are used in place of corn.

Chinese dessert soups seem to use a lot of different legumes and grains and in all sorts of combinations. Ingredients vary from black sticky rice ("hak law mai"), barley, soy products ("foo jook") to gingko nuts ("bak guo"). Different combinations of ingredients are supposed to have different effects for your health, such as cooling, cleansing, etc.

[Oops - can I count chocolate as a vegetable? that's probably pushing our definition too far, Yes?]

Well.... chocolate does come from a bean, as does coffee! (That's probably why scientific studies are discovering both are good for us.)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I've also had Filipino corn maja blanca, a "white pudding" made from coconut milk with corn kernels added.

There's a Chinese dessert that is almost the same, except that "ma dou" (yellow split peas??) are used in place of corn.

Chinese dessert soups seem to use a lot of different legumes and grains and in all sorts of combinations. Ingredients vary from black sticky rice ("hak law mai"), barley, soy products ("foo jook") to gingko nuts ("bak guo"). Different combinations of ingredients are supposed to have different effects for your health, such as cooling, cleansing, etc.

Yes.

I like sweet black glutinous rice porridge--here it's served with a spoonful of coconut milk drizzled on top.

Foo Jook is beancurd skin. Cooked in a sugar syrup until it disintegrates partially with gingko nuts and I think lotus seeds, it's supposed to be cooling.

And chocolate is a vegetable. I eat a lot of 'veggies' every day. :biggrin:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Carrot halvah? has it been mentioned?

also I coincidently made a Muslim Bean pie yesterday so if you have not tried one they are really good :biggrin:

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

jellied soy bean pudding (tau foo fa / tau huay / dou hua in the various Chinese dialects)

there's a little old man who trundles his cart around NYC's Chinatown selling bowfuls of this... delicious!

lotus seeds ground into paste and sweetened are commonly used in Asian pastries and confections

also, not in the vegetable arena, but the Chinese version of sundried tomatoes are sweet-tart and delighfully moreish! (greaseless and at a fraction of it's Italian cousin's price too!) I've used it in place of cranberries in trail mixes, cereal, and baking.

itadakimas...eat a duck i must!