• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC & Bethesda for 2 days

I'm going to be in DC for a conference from the 22nd of May to the 24th. I'll be checking into the Marriott Bethesda, 5151 Pooks Hill Road, Bethesda very late at night (probably around 10:30 - 11) on the 22nd, was wondering if there are any good joints that are open within walking distance that late or a good bar/club where I can chill and get a drink and slowly work off my jetlag?

I'll be presenting at the Ronald Reagan Building on Wednesday which is a stone's throw away from the White House. I'm excited about the location but my experience has been a greater density of government workers tends to lead to bland and overpriced food. Is there any great lunch spots within walking distance of the White House?

I don't know what the plan for dinner is, I may have to be networking with people but in case I'm not, is there any special but not outrageously expensive DC dining experience I really shouldn't be missing out on (preferably under $40).

Thursday will be spent mainly museum crawling, trying to cram in as much of the experience as I can. Again, any decent lunch joints in that area? If anybody wants to join me on Thursday and give me a local's tour of the area, I would be totally up for it. I'll even buy you lunch :smile:.

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

What, the food court in the basement of the Reagan Building not good enough for you? :wink:

Depending on your budget and time, there are a number of mid-to-upper price restaurants near the Maison Blanc, including the brand new Cafe du Parc , which is almost next door to the recently revitalized Occidental Grill. Les Halles still puts out a reliable Steak Frites and in the evening the outdoor cafe can be quite pleasant. Also in that direction, the Old Ebbitt Grill is a reliable spot for a burger or a dozen oysters and a cold beer.

Directly across Lafayette Park from the White House are The Oval Room the Oval Room (which has a hot new chef), Equinox (which has never really grabbed me), and The Bombay Club (very good Indian in the city's most gracious dining room).

As long as you're in the 'hood, consider sunset cocktails on the roof of the Hotel Washington, 15th St. across from Treasury. Spectacular.

For good, cheap fun: Ethiopian.

More suggestions here.

As for the night you arrive: I suggest packing a half-bottle of Cabernet and a Sandwich in your suitcase. :laugh: Late-night Bethesda is not a happening place. (Though someone may know better than me).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

As for the night you arrive: I suggest packing a half-bottle of Cabernet and a Sandwich in your suitcase.   :laugh: Late-night Bethesda is not a happening place. (Though someone may know better than me).

No, you're absolutely right. :laugh: And there is absolutely nothing around that Marriott. You will be stuck with room service at that hour, unfortunately. Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

So I'll be switching trains at the Metro Centre station and I thought I could duck out and grab something quick there. Any suggestions for a good restaurant close to that station?

What are you interested in eating and how much time do you have?

No real point in getting off at Metro Center (as opposed to the other stops you pass through) to eat as it's a large station and you might have to walk blocks below ground, rather than finding a spot within seconds of stumbling off the train at a smaller station.

I'm on the pavement

In hopes of jogging my memory I found this web page but, rather than helping, it kind of confirmed the nagging suspicion I had that -- for reasons unclear to me -- Metro Center far from ground zero for "tasty, cheap and filling." One stop down the Red Line, at Gallery Place/Chinatown is actually a better bet.

You might consider throwing in the towel and going to the Old Ebbitt for a burger. Bistro d'Oc isn't bad and serves up a tasty dish of calves brains, but it's not cheap in the sense that a Chinese carry-out is cheap. The old Reeve's Bakery has many fans, though I can't say I've eaten there in 20 years. And heck, if all you want is an OK club sandwich and cold beer, Harry's has a certain Formica'd charm.

I'm on the pavement