• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thin Crispy Oatmeal Cookies

LittleIsland

I feel completely stressed out today and think you have just given me my medication for the day ..I am going to make those cookies..thanks!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Ok I made a batch they are cool enough to try and I am reporting that ..indeed they are thin.....crispy and make me want to suck my thumb and twirl my hair with all kinds of goodness to them!

..thanks so much!!!!

I reallly need some ice cream now ..hmmmm

Piglet 

Snowangel --

I want to try your recipe too, but I have a question. As posted, it lists 1/2 cup of butter, which gets cooked with the oatmeal, and then it lists another 1/4 cup of butter that isn't referred to anywhere else in the recipe. When / how does this other 1/4 cup of butter get added?

Thanks!

Emily

Hummingbirdkiss -- did you add the extra 1/4 cup of butter or leave it out? If so, when did you add it?

Emily

I used it and just creamed it with the sugar and eggs

honestly I dont think I ever noticed until now it did not say to do that!!! I was stressed and running on automatic!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

Snowangel --

I want to try your recipe too, but I have a question. As posted, it lists 1/2 cup of butter, which gets cooked with the oatmeal, and then it lists another 1/4 cup of butter that isn't referred to anywhere else in the recipe. When / how does this other 1/4 cup of butter get added?

Thanks!

Emily

I've edited the recipe to note that the 1/4 cup goes into the butter, creamed, then add the eggs. I've done this one so many times that I know it from memory, and the recipe card is one came from my great grandmother. Like recipes in those days, it was more a method, and written in spidery handwriting on a recipe card (now yellow) in fountain pen, has splotches and blurs from the dribs and drabs. I think I just might laminate some of these recipe cards.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I baked these for about 12 minutes at 375 deg F (or more specifically 190 deg C) and about 5 minutes out of the oven they are great and crisp. But about an hour on the cooling racks, as I go to pack them, they have turned soft - and it's not been a particularly humid day.

Should I just bake them longer? They are already quite brown. Snowangel and hummingbridkiss, how long are you baking them for?

And, how do you go about flattening them? I started out using the bottom of a glass but after a while the dough started sticking to the glass so I just used a knife to flatten each cookie. They don't spread too easily if I don't flatten them well. Does this mean my dough is too thick? It does seem to stiffen upon standing.

hmmm mine crisped up and stayed that way... are yours a nice dark golden brown? if not you could try baking longer I think I baked mine around 12-15 min but can not remember I know I went over a little on the timing

also I put a spoonfull of dough down on the sheet and then just pushed it down with back of the spoon ..you should not have to push them down too much ...the cookies spread out a lot on thier own into really thin crispy cookies...I under estimated how far they would spread and the first batch became a giant single cookie!

did yours spread a lot?

try less flour if they didn't maybe?

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

They spread some, but not too much unless I really flattened them well. I baked the recipe exactly as written, without any of the tweaking I'm normally tempted to do. Maybe it's my oatmeal... Today some of the cookies are even floppy, they are that soft.

I shall try again perhaps using a touch less flour as you've suggested. And maybe upping the bake time.

I baked the recipe exactly as written, without any of the tweaking I'm normally tempted to do.

Ah, just reading back, I realise I lied. I cut the sugar back by 10% (and still have complaints from the family that they are too sweet). But that shouldn't make a difference should it? Anyway my cookies are golden brown but some that are darker are an unattractive brown. Nevertheless I'd rather have darker brown and crisp.

Crispness is a factor of sugar content, for the most part. Cutting back the sugar would have an impact. Creaming the fat for longer will help the cookies spread, as it introduces extra air into the cookie dough.

For an entirely different approach to oatmeal cookies, "whizz" your oatmeal to flour in a food processor or coffee grinder. Use all or mostly oat flour in your favourite shortbread recipe. Goooood cookies...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Crispness is a factor of sugar content, for the most part. Cutting back the sugar would have an impact.

So can I not have crisp cookies that are also less sweet ?

quote=chromedome,May 21 2007, 08:44 AM]

For an entirely different approach to oatmeal cookies, "whizz" your oatmeal to flour in a food processor or coffee grinder.