• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch near the Aon Center?

tammylc

I'm in Chicago on Monday for a meeting. But it doesn't start until 1, so I'll be meeting my colleagues for lunch at 11. I was planning to take them to Aigre Doux because I wanted that sticky toffee pudding, but I kept putting off making the reservation, and now there's no 11:00 am slot available.

Any suggestions? We'll be planning for our session over lunch, so not anyplace too noisy. Walking distance to the meeting at the Aon Center (200 E. Randolph Street) would be great, but a short cab ride is fine too. Price and kind of food are flexible.

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I suggest Park Grill Chicago. It's only a block west of the Standard Oil Building (that's probably how most of us still refer to the Aon Center), which is several blocks closer than Atwood Cafe. Park Grill Chicago is the restaurant at the Michigan Avenue entrance to Millennium Park, right next to the skating rink. Nice place, not overly noisy, very good service and food (surprisingly good, considering the prime location). And they show openings on opentable.com for this Monday at 11:00, when they open.

I suspect a lot of Chicagoans haven't been there, just because it's in the park and they don't realize it's as good as it is, thinking it's "just a tourist place" due to its location. Either that, or they don't go because it's somewhat on the expensive side (which it is, but not unusually so for its level of quality and location, and probably not a big consideration for a business meeting anyway). But the food and service were both excellent the time I had lunch there.

www.parkgrillchicago.com

Another option might be the various restaurants in all the hotels within a couple of blocks of the Standard Oil Building (Fairmont, Swissotel, Hyatt Regency Chicago), but I'm not familiar with any of those.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

I'm fond of the Custom House in the south loop.

The Custom House is an excellent restaurant - heck, it's a wonderful restaurant - but keep in mind that, for a business lunch, especially among a group working downtown where there are lots of restaurants within a block or two, people generally prefer not to have to spend much time in transit, and not having to hop a cab (even though it's only a 5-10 minute ride to the Custom House).

If the group is going out for dinner at the end of the day, then the Custom House would be a great choice.

their lunch begins at 11:30 also.

tammylc is looking for a place for 11:00.

Custom House is way high up on my list for sometime when I'm in Chicago for dinner, but as nsxtasy points out, I do need something for 11. Transit issues are less of an issue for us, as the people I'm going out for lunch with (just two others in addition to me) are coming in from out of town and we need to kill time before the meeting starts anyway. But it will certainly be more convenient to walk.

I've made a reservation at Park Grill Chicago, because the location is right and the menu looked good, but I'm still very open to changing my mind if a better suggestion comes along.

Thanks!

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Aria is just around the corner from the Aon Center, in the Fairmont Hotel (200 N Columbus). I've had two very good dinners there, the last one just a few weeks ago. According to Metromix, lunch starts at 11:30 but the bar area opens at 10:30. I'd call them, though.

There's now a Hannah's Bretzel in the Illinois Center (233 N Michigan), also just around the corner from you. I've not been there, but if it's the size of their other location, it wouldn't be the best place for a planning meeting. Maybe a sandwich for the trip home, though...

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer