• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The five essential hot sauces

Fat Guy

Sriracha- can't do Asian without

There are at least several brands of Sriracha sauce available, and they all taste different. So, to just say "Sriracha" isn't all that helpful in some instances.

Has anyone tried Shark brand? It's from Thailand, no preservatives, and from what I can tell from reading descriptions, not quite as sweet as the more ubiquitous "rooster" brand. I like the idea that it comes in glass bottles rather than a plastic bottle.

Shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Sriracha- can't do Asian without

There are at least several brands of Sriracha sauce available, and they all taste different. So, to just say "Sriracha" isn't all that helpful in some instances.

Has anyone tried Shark brand? It's from Thailand, no preservatives, and from what I can tell from reading descriptions, not quite as sweet as the more ubiquitous "rooster" brand. I like the idea that it comes in glass bottles rather than a plastic bottle.

Shel

I just happen to have some in my fridge. My verdict: it is just about as sweet as the rooster brand, but thinner, lighter in color, and a little less robust (a bit ketchupy), but overall good. I believe it is a bit less expensive as well.

Dave’s insanity I find is only good to heat up chili.  Otherwise it’s useless.

I'll agree that the standard Insanity is best only as an additive (I'm not keen ont he flavour in and of itself, tho I do find it more pleasant than the rather-similar Endorphin Rush), rather than as a table sauce, but some of his other variants work nicely as table sauces, and I'm rather fond of his "Jump Up and Kiss Me" line of hot sauces.

Sincerely,

Dante

Ideally, I'd like to go to one website, probably http://peppers.com/

Oh, my- Peppers. My Sister-in-Law's husband took me to dinner at Starboard restaurant in lieu of giving me a batchelor party. We stopped there afterwards.

How long ago was this?

It looks as if Peppers has closed their Dewey Beach and downtown Rehoboth Beach locations in favor of their emporium in the Tanger Outlets Oceanside at 365xx Highway 1 (they must have renumbered the addresses on DE 1 to continue northward from the north end of Ocean City, MD (155th St -- the Delaware-Maryland border)).

I stopped there on the way out of Rehoboth this past weekend. I could get lost in that place and spend all day at the tasting bar. As it was, it was on the strength of the samples that I walked out with a variety pack of their own make Blue Crab Salsa. I also walked out with a bottle of Original Juan (Pain Is Good) Batch 114 Jamaican Style Hot Sauce, a bottle of orange peel habanero sauce from Belize, and a bottle of lemon-herb piri piri sauce (Zulu Zulu).

If I had a few more bucks, I would have walked out with much, much more. It would probably have required me to rent the studio apartment next door to store it all. :wink:

Peppers is absolutely amazing.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

If I had a few more bucks, I would have walked out with much, much more.  It would probably have required me to rent the studio apartment next door to store it all.

Peppers is absolutely amazing.

Try a bottle of their Georgia Peach and Vidalia Onion Hot Sauce. It's addictive. I can see why they also sell gallon jugs of it.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Okay, before the hangover crowd stumbles over to check their thread mail....I don't want to veer off topic, but, what would anyone prefer in a Bloody Mary if you don't like Tabasco? For that I can't help but go with Tabasco; maybe it's a nostalgia thing. Tapatio is good for a quick ratchet-up of a red chile sauce, but I think it tastes distinctly of American-style enchiladas, so it has limited use for me. Oysters, well, if I had only six I would just stick to a squirt of lemon. If I had a dozen, I might have a few with Tabasco or Pickapeppa.

Here's my list, in alphabetical order:

Chinese Black Bean hot sauce (Pot-stickers w/out that hot red oil: sad.)

Chipotle in Adobo (Thank god the cans are small.)

Harissa (A paste in a tube--does it count? But what a tube! I'm a huge fan.)

Pickapeppa (Tastes like nothing else.)

Tabasco (Because it's there, and it's always been there.)