• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dips, cold or hot

stellabella

Thanks for posting this. I love Reuben sandwiches and the dip looks great.

Have you ever tried to freeze it? It looks as though that might work well and would help me when getting ready for large parties.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Here's one I love with toasted baguette slices or pita chips:

1/2 cup black olives, minced

1/2 cup green olives, minced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup dried figs, soaked in wine or cider to rehydrate, minced

EVOO

balsamic vinegar

You could put it in the food processor, but I prefer to just mince it finely. You can also mince some tomato, drain it,and stir it in. I season with the balsamic until I get the flavor I want, and then add the EVOO until I get the consistency I want.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite dip/spread is Muhammara. It's sweet and spicy. Great on crusty bread. Here is my recipe:

Muhammara

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 large red bell peppers, cut into very thin strips

1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced

1 t. red pepper flakes

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 c. toasted walnuts

1 1/2 t. cumin

1 T. pomegranate molasses*

4 t. lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon salt

Saute the onions, red peppers and red pepper flakes in the olive oil, over medium heat, for about 30-40 minutes, until the vegetables are completely caramelized. The onions will get quite dark. Adjust heat as necessary so that the vegetables don’t brown too quickly or burn. Add the garlic during the last two minutes. Add this mixture to a food processor (using a rubber spatula to get every last drop of oil) with the remaining ingredients. Pulse until combined, then process until fairly smooth. If it’s too thick to process, add more olive oil and/or water until you reach the desired consistency. It should be thick but not overly gummy.

Photo and more info

I made up a bean dip by accident the other day when the can of what I thought were chickpeas turned out to be cannelini beans. Think of it as a mock hummus.

One can of white beans, partially drained

Juice of half a lemon, or to taste

Three tablespoons of tahini

One or two cloves of garlic, finely grated

1/3 cup of olive oil

Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

And if you're a lover, not a hater of cilantro, a small handful of fresh leaves.

Load the lot into a blender, and whizz until it's smooth and flecked with green.

All of these dips sound delicious. Going in the opposite direction from dips that have lots of different fresh ingredients, I'm going to give you one that you will always be able to make even when the cupboard is utterly bare--and it's good!

Mayonnaise

Thai chili-garlic sauce

Maybe some lemon juice depending on your mayonnaise

Try that on crab cakes some time, too.

I do the lazy man's version of this by squirting sriracha onto a dollop of mayonnaise directly on my plate. This is great for plain chicken or fish.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

• 1 month later...

I must be into red foods lately, because this roasted red pepper hummus is nearly the same color as the muhammara I posted earlier! But it tastes totally different....

Red Pepper and Olive Hummus

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1 roasted red bell pepper (jarred is fine, but fresh roasted is even better)

1 T. extra virgin olive oil

2 T. tahini

3 T. lemon juice

8 pitted kalamata olives

1/2 t. salt

Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional

Pinch of smoked paprika, optional

Put all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. To serve, drizzle the top with olive oil and additional chopped kalamatas, if desired.

• 7 years later...

I wasn't sure where to post this....which ancient thread to resurrect?  I decided on this one due to more recent activity (7 yrs ago :D.)   This old Dips/Spreads thread was a contender, as was this Bread/Toast Spreads topic both with many good ideas. 

Here, I have two spreads from David Leibovitz's My Paris Kitchen, served with thinly sliced, toasted Multigrain Bread from the same book.  

The good M. Lebovitz has even provided instructions for serving a summer rosé (Ice is Nice p 67) with which I complied.595fa63625564_IMG_5710(1).thumb.jpg.186a06eb149bccdca87a9ae9f67c2e80.jpg

On the left is Artichoke Tapenade with Rosemary Oil ( (Tapenade d'artichaut, huile d'olive aromatisée au romarin) and on the right, we have Sardine Spread (Rillettes de sardines) made with smoked trout instead of sardines. For the tapenade, I used frozen artichokes instead of canned and EVOO instead of plain olive oil for the rosemary oil. A little drizzle of that rosemary oil on the toast really elevates the tapenade. It's great as is but next time I will add some lemon zest to the tapenade as I love artichokes and lemon.  I liked the smoked trout spread a lot but will also give the sardines a try one of these days.

• Like 8