• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dish To Accompany "Fried" Chicken

Simon Majumdar

Hi

I am making my very healthy oven baked "fried" Chicken this evening ( secret: roll the chicken in spiced flour then egg whites before cooking, fantastic )

I usually make a salsa of some sort to go with it, but want to try something different but equally as light and delicious.

Any suggestions?

S

Celeriac salad with a wasabi or chile mayonaisse.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Roasted New or Fingerling potatoes with a little evoo, lemon juice, Dill ? Baked beans ? Cheddar grits and haricot vert ? Couscous with roasted pine nuts and golden raisans ? Sweet potato pave' ? How about a Wild mushroom brioche pudding with chervil and white truffles? a kilo of Beluga 00 ?

Cucumber salad: thinly sliced cucumbers and onions (separated into rings), a splash of white vinegar (one of the few recipes where white vinegar is preferred), a little water and a little sugar if you like (depends on your preference), plus fresh dill is an option. Needs to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours or even overnight. Crisp, cool, refreshing, light, delicious, appropriate.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Corn Bread with bacon bits in it, potato salad and stewed greens, preferably cooked with ham hocks.

Oh wait, you said light. Sorry.

:laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Crisp, cool, refreshing, light, delicious, appropriate.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Could you be a bit more definite?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Too late, I know, but: French potato salad (as described by Julia Child in The Way to Cook, pp 362 - 363. The oil is optional, and not missed if you add lots of chopped herbs. Try it the next time; after all, potato salad is a classic accompaniment for fried chicken.

Cucumber salad: thinly sliced cucumbers and onions (separated into rings), a splash of white vinegar (one of the few recipes where white vinegar is preferred), a little water and a little sugar if you like (depends on your preference), plus fresh dill is an option. Needs to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours or even overnight. Crisp, cool, refreshing, light, delicious, appropriate.

Too late for this to be of any use to Simon, but for others who like cucumber salad...

It's best if you let the sliced cucumbers and onions (if you're using them) sit overnite in a salt-water bath. That draws out the extra moisture so your dressing isn't diluted.

Few hours before serving: drain sliced cukes well (can even pat a few times with paper towels), add dressing (no more salt, though....but taste for sure) and refrigerate til serving time.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.