• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethnic Groceries & Restaurants in Jersey City??

I'm more interested, when it comes down to it, in where people shop for food items in Jersey City.

It's an interesting place for ethnic groceries, even after the demise of the gargantuan and superb Foodmart International. You have a whole row of excellent Indian/subcontinental produce stores on Newark Avenue. Both there and in other places you also have really good Halal butchers which will set you up with everything from whole goats to pre-spiced minced chicken for kebabs. I haven't yet found a particularly good ME grocer, but there must be one (let me know, please) since J. City has more Arabs resident than any other US city except Dearborn in Michigan.

Then, there are very solid Puerto Rican and Dominican grocers including the La Conga supermarket/dump which will hook you up with the best chorizos (Colombian, as it happens) I've ever tasted.

Plus, you have the great riches of the Ironbound very near by, which has the best, freshest, most reasonably-priced seafood you can get anywhere in the region including various Chinatowns, and absolutely top-notch bakeries, and the always-excellent meat department at Seabra's Supermarket, and plenty more.

---

But bring on the restaurant recommendations, I lean more heavily to semi-unique ethnic dives than to ersatz Manhattanite bistros.

Edited by bhelpuri (log)

I'm more interested, when it comes down to it, in where people shop for food items in Jersey City.

Well, I finally wandered into the New Guinea deli on Newark Ave. today. But alas, it was to buy M&M's (with peanuts). They had some very strange stuff there, but I admit after accomplishing my purpose I rushed out to gobble down all the blue m&ms.

There's been a bunch of discussions on JC restaurants. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot to choose from. If you're looking for ethnic, I highly recommend the Philippine Bread House for lunch -- it's on Newark Ave. just west of Palisade Ave. There's a Puerto Rican luncheonette on Grove right opposite Tania's which is pretty good and you'd be hard pressed to spend more than $5. And there's Tania's for pretty decent Polish. And on the same side of the block as Tania's, just east of it, is Casablanca, a Moroccan place that's been there for a long time. Not bad, though they've gotten pretty boring to me. They have a limited menu and they haven't changed it since I've been going - 5 years. There's a pretty good Hallal Pakistani place on Grove St. on the block before Marco & Pepe's -- Shaddam, or something like that. And there's a good Vietnamese place on the north side of Newark just west of the terrible Vietnamese place on the opposite side of the block. Sorry, I forget names. As for the Indian eateries on Newark, I can live without them.

I can add some suggestions for the Heights neighborhood. Cinco de Mayo Taqueria on Central Ave is also a grocery store. Everything I've had from them is delicious. My husband loves their mole poblano, and I like the tostadas and well, everything else. There are also some decent salumerias on Central. Supremo Market on Palisade Ave has a good fish vendor and a busy butcher department. I like them for dried chiles and spices and at least 5 brands of crema. I can second the vietnamese and Tanya's suggestions made earlier.

"There's been a bunch of discussions on JC restaurants. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot to choose from."

Yes, I've been to all the places you list and remain largely unmoved.

La Conguita (the small Cuban-owned, neighborhood restaurant just off Grove) is probably the family favorite. The food is always nicely done, and very reasonably priced - as you mention. The empanadas are excellent, the Cuban sandwiches too. Plus, my four-year-old and I really like their banana/chocolate batidos, chowing down at that place has become a weekend ritual.

"As for the Indian eateries on Newark, I can live without them."

I wouldn't be quite so hasty or dismissive. There is precious little atmosphere, or fine-dining ambience, in the restaurants on Newark Ave. However, over the years, the street has become a proper high-intensity little subcontinental ghetto and has some perfectly good food on offer at the restaurants. You can get dosas and other S. Indian food that are as good as anything you get in the city (much cheaper), all kinds of other very decent Indian street food (like my 'name', bhelpuri), and even (average) Indian-Chinese food.

Edited by bhelpuri (log)

Nixienox,

Your suggestions are all exactly what I've been looking for, particularly the salumerias. I knew that a town with such deep Italian roots had to have 'em somewhere.

Thanks, I'll report back after I check them out.

Well, nixienox, I owe you.

Much sooner than I'd anticipated, I found myself in the neighborhood with some time to kill and took it upon myself to check out each of your recommendations (with camera in tow). Here are my findings.

--

Cinco de Mayo Taqueria

Immediately interesting, they've got a repeat customer in me. The containers of pulque and very reasonably priced ingredients at the entrance showed off genuine credentials.

i4789.jpg

The clientele at the time was all-Mexican, workers in the area stopping off for solitary, hearty, meals. This was promising, as was the bright young woman behind the counter. Plus, the decor was simple yet, like, 20 times more appealing than the Chinese-run tortilla joints that infest our region. Warm, clean, inviting (gotta love the Rivera poster).

i4788.jpg

And the menu was also a cut above the usual, with a real tip of the hat to honest Mexican country fare. Thought about getting the tongue, but settled for the plate of barbecued goat pictured below.

i4787.jpg

Looks hefty. Wasn't.

Inhaled it in about five minutes, and all of that - plus a big old bag of dried anchos to restock my larder - came to an even tenner.

Dear nixienox, I've become quite fond of you after that meal. May I call you nixie, now? Or maybe just Ms. Nox for short?

But, Ms. Nox, I was not done, as there were several other places to do my due diligence about.

For some reason, I've skimmed this neighborhood. Our expeditions generally head city-wards, or to Newark Avenue, or occasionally center in the downtown area. But this survey opened my eyes, there are two or three places I'm definitely going back to.

One is that excellent Supremo supermarket, which kicks the ass of all the other supermarkets I've seen in Jersey City, and might help salve the wound left by the departure of Foodmart International. They had fresh tamarind, they had a very decent fresh fish selection. I made a point of checking out your claim of "at least 5 brands of crema" and found it modest. In fact they have eight different kinds of crema.

i4790.jpg

Yes, Ms. Nox, my feelings towards you are QUITE warm, you are very reliable.

--

Back on Central Avenue, I found one salumeria (Andrea) packed with policemen buying their sandwiches heavy with "mooz". A solid neighborhood American-Italian deli.

A bit further on, there was the other salumeria, this one a bit more interesting and a fine source for fresh ricotta, sausages and all variety of imported Italian stuff. It's not Arthur Avenue, it's not even Mulberry Street, but it is in relatively close vicinity to my home so I felt it necessary to purchase a token soppresata (the one being picked out, below) even though we really don't need it.

i4786.jpg

Not sure I'll be a constant visitor, since the other options I mentioned are always convenient on some trip or the other across the river. But maybe I'll check out the fresh-baked bread one weekend.

--

But the place pictured below, I will certainly return to.

i4785.jpg

It's the Middle Eastern grocery store I suspected was in my area but had not found till now. It's comprehensive (though I will still use my usual halal butcher on Newark), with a fine selection of all the basics and a sizeable selection of prepared foods.

Not food related, but something curious happened to me in that store. I strode inside and engaged the counter person with some questions about the dried fruits he sells in quantity. I got that feeling, you know, that someone wanted to get by me. Turned around, no one. Then I hear a soft rustle, and turn around again and there is a pigeon standing confidently behind me. By instinct, I stepped aside. And the pigeon walked on by me, to the back of the store - and get this - walks unperturbed all the way into the rear room.

The counter person said that this pigeon visits every day.

--

Anyway, Ms. Nox, I do owe you.

Let me know if there is any way I can reciprocate, and thanks.

Edited by bhelpuri (log)

Those beautiful color pictures certainly make the neighborhood look inviting. Cinco de Mayo is a favorite it's gratifying to get the word out on them. (And on the very afternoon I had a wisdom tooth removed! So thank you for letting me at least look, even if the thought of eating seems very far away to me now.) The Heights neighborhood has a few things I'd still want grocery-wise. If only Supremo carried Tomcat Bread, and goat cheese. . .

La Conguita (the small Cuban-owned, neighborhood restaurant just off Grove) is probably the family favorite. The food is always nicely done, and very reasonably priced - as you mention. The empanadas are excellent, the Cuban sandwiches too. Plus, my four-year-old and I really like their banana/chocolate batidos, chowing down at that place has become a weekend ritual.

There is a Cuban restaurant at 396 Central Avenue called Viarreggio if you can't quite make it to the family favorite. It's basic, but good. And on Palisade there's an Ecuadorian/Italian restaurant called Robalino's that might interest you.

Ms. Nox,

How long have you lived in Jersey City? I'm a relative newcomer, just over four years.

on Palisade there's an Ecuadorian/Italian restaurant

Well maybe here is where I start reciprocating.

Not far from you, down the road in West New York, is a gem of a Ecuadorian restaurant. It's off Bergenline, called La Vasija de Barro.

Can't recommend it highly enough, really. It's in the same general vein as your taqueria, but rather than being earthy it reflects the ethos and culture of the Ecuadorian intelligentsia. It's hip (but tiny), the food is fantastic including the best tamales (called hayacas) you're likely to find anywhere.

Particularly recommended is the unique, filling, encebollado :

i4813.jpg

This is a Sunday treat, a soup/stew made with kernels of fresh maize, tuna, lots of red onions, yucca, cilantro, lime, scallions and more.

Check it out (when your gums heal), you will not be disappointed, it's a special place.

Edited by bhelpuri (log)

It's the Middle Eastern grocery store I suspected was in my area but had not found till now. It's comprehensive (though I will still use my usual halal butcher on Newark), with a fine selection of all the basics and a sizeable selection of prepared foods.

Bhelpuri, where is Alhuda located? And what is the name of your favorite halal butcher on Newark?

Scott,

Al-Huda, the very decent Middle eastern grocery, is located on Central about a block up from Franklin, heading away from that church on the end.

I'm going to find out, this weekend, if there is a bigger and more comprehensive store somewhere in Jersey City. There must be, this place has a lot of Arabs. I know that there are excellent stores up in Paterson, perhaps one has a branch here.

--

I'm afraid I don't know the names of the Halal stores on Newark, even though I visit them very regularly. However, if you are heading down into that (very) Little India section from the White Castle there is one almost immediately on your right, and then one across the street. Of the two, I much prefer the one on the right. They're both Pakistani, both a teensy bit unclean - let's face it - but the one on the right is better and the younger butcher is wonderfully expert with his knives and will clean your meat in a speedy, top-notch, manner. Plus, I have gone to the freezer rooms in both places and you really don't want to visit the one attached to the one on the left.

The price list for the superior one is pictured below -

i4820.jpg

The question is, what do you go to a halal butcher for? I generally go for three things (all available at both of these stores, all of very good quality at the one I favor).

1) Goat.

2) Spiced-up chicken mince, for kebabs.

3) Frozen subcontinental-type fish (especially pomfrets).

Assuming that you want goat (the main attraction at Jersey City halal butchers), there is a whole strategy involved in buying the right meat, in the right quantity, for the dish you have in mind. It is generally a mistake to buy the odds-and-ends in a jumble under the counter. The best way to do it is to survey the beast, and make your call based on what you have in mind to cook.

i4817.jpg

Brian Yarvin,

I forgot to respond to you.

Looked at your website, very cool images and a great project.

My personal interest is in the ethnic foods available in this state. Given the extremely high concentrations of immigrants, from quite an impressive range of countries, there are great unsung neighborhoods, restaurants, and grocery stores scattered in all kinds of unlikely places.

Would love to know what exploration you've done on these lines, maybe we can make up a list of ethnic enclaves. I can think of at least ten right off the bat.

But bring on the restaurant recommendations, I lean more heavily to semi-unique ethnic dives than to ersatz Manhattanite bistros.

Well, I don't know if this is semi-unique or even exotic, but it is sublimely good Cantonese cooking in the most unlikely of places - a Chinese Buffet in a small stip mall in Jersey City. They used to have blue crabs (ginger and scallion style) on the buffet, and they were outstanding, and it turns out that notwithstanding some of the less-Chinese buffet items, the quality of the foods and the preparation is just first rate. Ordering from the menu a few times, I discovered just how good the cooking can be. They take special orders, and now you see lots of regulars feasting on blue crabs, live lobsters, vegetables, etc.

Incidentally, they do one great thing - they don't leave lots of food on the buffet to get old when it's not crowded. This means that when you get there it may look sparse, but as soon as people sit down, they start cooking and filling it with things like salt-and-pepper heads-on shrimp, duck on the weekend, lots of good stuff.

lobsters-live.jpg

ong-choy.jpg

You can check them out on-line here:

Jumbo Lobsters at Kowloon Buffet

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

How very interesting, markk.

When I first moved to this area, I ordered take-away from that restaurant and it was abysmally bad. So bad, in fact, that I started to learn how to cook Chinese dishes myself because I figured even a rank amateur would do better (and there was no other restaurant suitably close by).

But I see, on looking at the website, that this really is a buffet-type restaurant and take-away was probably both unrepresentative and unwise. Also, I seem to remember peeking at the buffet while I was there long ago, and finding it sparse - you've helpfully explained why.

So, good tip, I will check it out. Thanks.

---

Scott,

Good thread. I'll give the 'ethnic neighborhoods' list a shot, but in return you have to tell me what you intend on buying at the halal butcher.

Caveats - I haven't explored all that very much in this state, and have only been resident for four years. I will do more of it now that I'm starting to become resigned to being a long-term New Jerseyite. Plus, you guys have already pretty much covered all of it. Also, we're occasionally talking about one large store/complex rather than a true enclave.

1) Indian - Edison, Jersey City

2) Filipino - Jersey City

3) Puerto Rican - Jersey City

4) Arab - Paterson, Jersey City

5) Portuguese - Newark's Ironbound.

6) Brazilian - Newark's Ironbound.

7) Korean - Fort Lee

8) Japanese - Edgewater

9) Colombian - West New York

10) Ecuadorian - West New York

11) Italian - Hoboken

12) Cuban - Elizabeth

Edited by bhelpuri (log)

Bhelpuri, thanks for that list. That's quite a lot of knowledge to acquire in four years.

At the moment, I have nothing in particular to purchase at the halal butcher. Although I'm very proud of my hummous and babaganoush, I have only touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Middle Eastern cuisine. Eventually I plan on delving into it much deeper, and when I do, knowing a good halal butcher should come in handy.

Your mention of West New York/Bergenline made me remember one of my favorite Cuban restaurants. It's been a while since I've been there, but I'm a big fan of Las Palmas. It doesn't have much in the way of decor, the clientelle can sometimes feel almost menacing, and if you're not familiar with the food or speak any Spanish, you might be in trouble, depending on the waitstaff. This being said, the steaks are spectacular. The black bean soup is fairly standard fare. Like most Latin restaurants, the tostones/maduros are a bit of a gamble (seasonal variations, levels of ripeness), but definitely worth the risk. The steaks are worth the trip, though. I'm a big fan of their skirt steak, but I've never seen a steak there that didn't make my mouth water.

Edited by scott123 (log)

Not far from you, down the road in West New York, is a gem of a Ecuadorian restaurant. It's off Bergenline, called La Vasija de Barro.

I definitely will check it out Vasija de Barro. My kind of destination restaurant.

I too have been in Jersey city for 4 years, after having moved from Brooklyn. (My older daughter attends a charter school in Hoboken.) Lived in Chicago, Lower East Side, Brooklyn, now JC. I hardly know anything about New Jersey west of here, beyond state parks and other hiking destinations, and continuing searches for good garden stores. And I am trying to shake the dismaying feeling that once I head west everything's in or attached to a mall, which is just a prejudice, and probably not accurate at all.

And also, I'm curious about something. What is the advantage of using crema over sour cream? I have a recipe for making crema somewhere but haven't gotten around to making it yet.

Crema's can vary, but generally they are richer, less watery, than american-style sour cream. Some make the claim for less additives, but I don't know, some crema you can buy has additives. And it combines heavenly next to chiles or a sauce made with chiles.

And also, I'm curious about something. What is the advantage of using crema over sour cream? I have a recipe for making crema somewhere but haven't gotten around to making it yet.

Crema's can vary, but generally they are richer, less watery, than american-style sour cream. Some make the claim for less additives, but I don't know, some crema you can buy has additives. And it combines heavenly next to chiles or a sauce made with chiles.

Thanks!

Hmm, I somehow missed a post from scott123 a couple of days ago.

I have only touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Middle Eastern cuisine. Eventually I plan on delving into it much deeper, and when I do, knowing a good halal butcher should come in handy.

This is why I was a bit curious about the halal butcher. Actually, I generally find them superior places for chicken and lamb too - if you're not bothered about buying organic. Nowadays (we have kids) I only go for the things I listed earlier, but you should try buying chicken or lamb at a halal store sometime - they trim it wonderfully and exactly to your liking. And that spiced chicken mince I mentioned earlier - kebabs in two minutes - cannot be beat.

Secondly, I have just started cooking food from the general region quite regularly thanks to a really great cookbook. It's not Arab, true, but I have a feeling that you will really like it. Al Huda will supply most of the ingredients you need. It's pictured below.

0934211345.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you do get it, I'll be happy to share some of my experiences (with photos) of learning a new cuisine largely via this volume.

Finally, the tip for Las Palmas is excellent! A bit of snooping has revealed that it's a prized center of Cuban community affairs. It's an odd thing, this area has more Cubans than any other part of the USA save the Miami area, but with the exception of the old locality in Elizabeth I really don't know any neighborhood that could be called Cuban. I know that El Bambi, the shockingly well-supplied baby-gear store on Bergenline is also owned by Cubans so I'm wondering if West New York is one place to explore. Enquiries will be made!

-----

Markk,

I went to Kowloon Banquet for lunch today. It's decent value, that's for sure (there were shrimp, no crabs, no lobster), but very very standard Chinese-American-vaguely-Cantonese restaurant fare. This did not stop me from gorging myself to the upper limits, but the rest of our party was deeply unimpressed. We will most likely head to the city and Chinatown- as per usual - when we start jonesing for Chinese food.

I went to Kowloon Banquet for lunch today. It's decent value, that's for sure (there were shrimp, no crabs, no lobster),

The blue crabs that were a standard "buffet" item in years past are now a "special order" item- and many nights you will see regulars feasting on them because they have special ordered them with the owner; ditto the lobsters. I think that the neighborhood may not support them stocking these items on a regular basis. But, when they get them, they're of the the freshest and highest quality, and for sure they cook them every bit as well as the great Cantonese restaurants in Chinatown. I, and obviously many of the regulars, have found it well worth the effort of getting to know them and cultivating a relationship. That's why you'll see many people indeed gorging themselves on quite good buffet fare, and a couple of tables feasting their brains out on special things brought in for them as if they =were= in Chinatown. Considering what the state of Chinese food is in Jersey City and Hoboken - sugary sweet and sad - it's worth the effort for many of us. Hope this helps.

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

That's why you'll see many people indeed gorging themselves on quite good buffet fare, and a couple of tables feasting their brains out on special things brought in for them as if they =were= in Chinatown. Considering what the state of Chinese food is in Jersey City and Hoboken - sugary sweet and sad - it's worth the effort for many of us. Hope this helps.

It does help, and you have certainly persuaded me to give it another try. By the way, when we order Chinese food delivered at home we use D&J Garden (on Grove St) and it's quite passable.

A couple of questions.

We went at 1:45 today (Sat), is that a bad time? Is there a strategy to arriving to take advantage of the freshest, most varied, food?

You mention these 'special orders'. What do I need to do to take advantage of them, and what else do they have besides the crabs? Also, I assume they're extra (the buffet is inarguably cheap), how much?

Thanks in advance.