• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot soups ---> cold soups

jgm

I've heard it said that just about any hot soup can work fine as a cold soup. While that's probably true, theoretically, I don't think it works to make a direct translation from hot to cold without some adjustments.

I know that many foods have a much different flavor when they're hot as opposed to when they're cold. And I would think that with some seasoning adjustments, many hot soups can become really good cold soups.

Your thoughts? Do you have any recipes you use hot as well as cold?

Edited by jgm (log)

Adjustments are definitely in order. With rare exception (such as fruit soup or gazpacho), I think that only creamy soups present well cold. Whether the silkiness on the palate comes from butterfat or starch, it is required for optimal mouthfeel.

A smooth texture is also key - I've never tasted/enjoyed a chunky cold soup. Seasoning, as you mention, needs adjusting, since chilling calms most spices.

Wish I could assist with recipes, but for me it's either hot or cold! I'm not at all sure I believe something like chicken noodle soup could be adapted to a chilled version without a major overhaul, but perhaps others have useful insights. Then again, some people can't palate a cool vichysoisse, but who understands them...

Edited to add: gazapacho and vichysoisse

Edited by DCP (log)

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

so when you all eat your cold soups do you like them ice cold or at room temperature?

how about mul naengmyun? Thats a great dish for the summer time and is always best served ice cold with some of the broth partially frozen. One of the best naengmyuns I have ever had was made with chonggak kimchee (raddish kimchee) broth - basically the pool of red liquid that results from pickling, plus lots of leafy green raddish tops.

naengmyun is probably the only good contribution that n. korea gave to s. korea and the rest of the world

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Cold soups...yum.

:smile:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

so when you all eat your cold soups do you like them ice cold or at room temperature?

Depends on the soup. I like vichyssoise just a few degrees under room temperature, but gazpacho cooler - and fruit soups colder yet.

And spicy kalbi jjigae? Boiling hot.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I can eat most any soup cold and enjoy it. I recently made a vegetable, lentil and kale soup that was wonderful hot but I've been eating it for lunch cold and like it just as much. Even had it for breakfast the other day. Cold.

I've discovered that beef and venison chili is not good cold.

But, leftover Tom Yam, with all of that lime, and all of those peppers, is more than divine. Quite frankly, I think any soup with a lotta lime or lemon does well hot and cold. Oh, and let's forget soupps that have a lot of congeealed fat (like chili).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I like leek and potato soup cold, chunky and with no milk or cream. The idea of having it pureed *bothers* me when I think of eating it cold. Avgolemono is also good cold. Chicken soup with dumplings that is somewhat overseasoned and carefully defatted is good cool, but if it's *cold* it's not a pleasant texture. Most bean soups are too thick when cold to eat as soup, but they make great taco and burrito fillings. Probably good in pita bread too, if the flavor leans in that direction.

I really hate gazpacho and most other meant to be served cold soups I've had. I'd usually rather have the ingredients in a salad or a taco shell.