• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting pickled

Feedbag

I did a couple searches and only came up with pickle juice and Indian pickles.

If there's another thread, sorry, I missed it.

I've never actually made a jar of those big honkin' deli-type dill pickles, the kind with lots

of garlic and dill. Is there a secret/trick to it? Particular type of cuke you should use?

Anyone have any recipes/tips they'd be willing to share? I'd like to try it for the first time

this summer (and I'm assuming summer is the season?).

Thanks!

It's been many years since I pickled cukes. I know I used Kirby cukes. Do you have a source for fresh dill? It's a must. I'll dig out my recipe tomorrow and post it. I would recommend checking the web and reading several recipes and methods to get comfortable with the process. Check the Kerr and Ball canning websites. I'm sure they have info you can use.

Stop Family Violence

I have used this recipe to put up hundreds of quarts of pickles, and my friends have put up several hundred using it as well. I try to acquire all of my cukes at one time, preferrably about 3" long and 1" in diameter, as these will make two good tiers in a quart jar. It is difficult to make crisp pickles from limp cukes, so do not accumulate a week's worth of production and expect them to come out correctly. Follow the recipe, and you will be pleased, I guarantee. :smile:

Thrills from the Hills Dills

For ten to twelve quarts of pickles:

1 peck or so of small pickling cucumbers

Brine:

1 gallon water

1/2 gallon white distilled vinegar

1 & 1/3 cup pickling/canning salt

40 peeled garlic cloves

40 Serrano peppers, de-stemmed

1 large bunch of fresh dill weed (with full heads!)

Thoroughly wash cucumbers and cull out

any with soft spots (or cut them out)

Combine brine ingredients in a non-reactive

pot and bring to a boil.

In the bottom of each of ten sterilized jars,

place 4 garlic cloves, four Serrano peppers

and 1 seed-head of dill. Pack jars with

cucumbers and pour boiling brine over, leaving

1/2" head space. Seal jars with lids and

rings, and then submerge in a boiling water

bath for 15 minutes. Allow pickles to

mellow for about 1 month before eating.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I did a couple searches and only came up with pickle juice and Indian pickles.

If there's another thread, sorry, I missed it.

It wasn't your fault. The past discussion about this topic didn't contain the word "pickle" in the thread title.

This may be of some help to you:

"Making Half (and Full) Sours, (merged topics)"

I had never heard of them referred to as "sours" before. Guess that's an east coast thing?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks very much, everyone, for the responses, links, recipe and tips!

Lots to check out, looking forward to getting through all those sites.

I'll let you know how my adventure in pickling goes.

PS - Never heard them called "sours", either, but I guess the name fits!

had never heard of them referred to as "sours" before. Guess that's an east coast thing?

Not east coast as much as east European. The simplest pickling was done with salt, bacteria (from the air) cucumbers, and water. The pickles would ferment slowly and become half sour, then full sour over a few weeks. There was no sugar or vinegar, and no sterilizing, and the cukes had to be kept cold, as the bacteria was still active. These pickles are still available refrigerated in some stores.