• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Enhancer

Woods

I have been trying to find something like Levit ($$) to increase shelf life, lift etc. I haven't used any enhancers during 30 years of bread baking, however, except for ascorbic acid. Does anyone have an opinion?

Thanks, Woods

I think it depends on what sort of bread you want to produce, I recently made some Indonesian sweet bread and on the last batch used bread improver. The difference in the texture and softness of the finished product was amazing, my wife and family said it was the best bread they had tasted. Personally I don't like sweet breads and only used it as an excuse to experiment.

However, although I will be using it again when I am producing bread for the family and Indonesian friends, I will be sticking to flour, yeast (or sourdough starter), salt, and water for my own consumption! :rolleyes:

"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"

Nungkysman: Food for the Body and the Soul.

Don't.

Use sourdough that is naturally pro-biotic and anti-bacterial.

A good sourdough loaf will keep for at least a week, and dry before it molds.

Thats what I have been doing so thanks for the affirmation. One of my favorite books is Swiss Bakery from the Richmont Craft School. They use left in everything but I have just added a small amount of malt extract. I've been making wild yeast sourdoughs for about 15 yrs now and I agree that there is no need to complicate good results.