• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellow Beefsteak Tomatoes

Suvir Saran

I typically use yellow tomatoes together with red, orange, and various other tomatoes to bring visual interest to a platter or salad. I've seen recipes that call for yellow tomatoes but they typically do so only for the visual effect, for example it makes interesting looking salsa, gazpacho, chutney, marinara, oven-roasted tomatoes, etc. The only major taste property that seems to differentiate them from standard tomatoes is that they're generally lower in acidity. So I suppose that would make them especially suitable for being served with things like mild white-fleshed fish, though I doubt it would make all that much difference.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It's a fairly standard trick these days, and someone told me that it was even hilighted in a recent Gourmet, but I often make two different tomato soups, one using yellow tomatoes and one using red. I usually add a hot yellow pepper to the yellow tomato soup. Using two ladles, concurrently add each color of soup to the bowl on opposite sides. Top with a pesto, reduced cream with garlic, or something else to add a bit more of contrasting color and flavor. For the average Joe and Jane, it comes off as being dramatic, but it's incredibly simple.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We had a Passover seder at our house one year and several average Joes and Janes were in attendance -- at least I'd say their culinary tastes/experience-levels were average. There were going to be so many people at the table we realized early on that it would be a disaster to put out big platters of food because there was no room. So I decided to plate the food in the kitchen, and I did super-advanced stuff like garnish the plates with herbs and try to make every plate look similar. Well, this was a revelation to the average Joes and Janes, let me tell you. If one more person said "this is just like a restaurant" I was going to scream. So yeah, that yin-yang soup thing works too. You can also do it as a swirl or, if you want to start using ring molds, a bullseye.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

"This is just like a restaurant!"

Given the restaurants you eat at, that's an insult.

"So when are you going to open your own restaurant?"

When I'm stupid.

+++

Also, unrelated:

"Why don't you have kids?"

Why don't you have manners?

Also, unrelated:

"Why don't you have kids?"

Why don't you have manners?

I used to field that one by saying: "Not that it's any of your business, but I'm unable to have kids, my husband refuses to adopt, and I'm devastated." All fiction. Once I did this to my sleazeball ex-brother-in-law. Hee hee.

At least the just-like-a-restaurant comments are well-meaning. And flattering. The one I hate is "So, your mother tells me you're a gourmet cook."

Blended with oven roasted yellow peppers and a bit of saffron and a splash of pernod and then pureed it's wonderful as a soup, or as FG said served with a light poached seafood.

Also makes an excellent intermezzo with a touch of tarragon.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

"Not that it's any of your business, but I'm unable to have kids, my husband refuses to adopt, and I'm devastated."

Well the thing I don't understand is how, given how many people actually have this problem and really are devastated, anybody could be stupid and thoughtless enough to ask the question. I mean, as far as I know we're entirely fertile yet the question offends even me. I can't imagine what it must be like for some poor couple trying hard and failing to have a baby. Sheesh.

One thing I'd advise against doing with yellow tomatoes is serving them with a creamy dressing such as blue cheese, ranch, buttermilk, etc. The lack of acidity will really show and the combination will taste entirely flabby.

Well the thing I don't understand is how, given how many people actually have this problem and really are devastated, anybody could be stupid and thoughtless enough to ask the question.

Exactly. Bad enough to get this from family or friends, but total strangers! I came up with that reply when a cab driver told me it was my duty as a Jewish woman to reproduce. No tip for him.

Raw yellow tomatoes taste flat unless they're dressed with a fairly sharp vinaigrette. I've been served thm as a granita garnishing a cold (red) tomato soup - very nice.

I sometimes skin and scoop them into bowls, fill with clam broth and a few slivers of scallion and daikon or radish, surround with tomato water with basil. With provolone and mushroom panini (toasted, pressed). Light lunch.

I think that they are much less acidic but very flavourful nonetheless.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I sometimes skin and scoop them into bowls, fill with clam broth and a few slivers of scallion and daikon or radish, surround with tomato water with basil. With provolone and mushroom panini (toasted, pressed). Light lunch.

Yeah that's pretty much what we all do with them.

I just finished cleaning the jars of the 11 pints of Yellow Tomato Chutney I made last night. It tasted very good. In fact it is a perfect compliment to the more tart and acidic Tomato Chutney that I had also made last night.

I am not sure yet, which I prefer. I made the Yellow Tomato less spicy and also did not add any fenugreek seeds.

Now off to making some strawberry shortcake. Thanks to eGullet, I now have a great recipe for it. The berries in the farmers market were superb yesterday and were also good this morning.

Now off to making some strawberry shortcake.  Thanks to eGullet, I now have a great recipe for it.  The berries in the farmers market were superb yesterday and were also good this morning.

Yeah, that might be a very nice dessert....

To go with some chicken enchiladas! :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Now off to making some strawberry shortcake.  Thanks to eGullet, I now have a great recipe for it.  The berries in the farmers market were superb yesterday and were also good this morning.

Yeah, that might be a very nice dessert....

To go with some chicken enchiladas! :biggrin:

I am soooo nervous about cooking Mexican food. I seriously am.

I wish I had the confidence that so many members that post here have about cooking foreign foods.

I have never visited Mexico. In fact I know several people from Mexico, but have few close friends from that one country.

All of this makes me feel I am too much of a novice to that country and its food and culture.

It is one of my favorite cuisines... and I hope, that someday, after I have visited it, spent time in with local chefs and home cooks, I can come back and prepare their dishes with wild abandon.

But for now, I really feel I will fail.

Maybe I need to chill and simply give it a try...

Maybe next week, as my back gets better. Or at least I hope it will get better.

I am making the shortcake as I distract myself with eGullet. The yellow tomato chutney tastes really good. I saved some in a small bowl. The rest was all canned.

Suvir, YOU are afraid to make Mexican food? I'm shocked :wink::blink::blink: ! I've never been there, either -- or anywhere else "foreign" lately -- but as long as there are books by Diana Kennedy, Zarela Martinez, and Patricia Quintana, I feel quite confident. But then, I don't believe that it's possible for an "outsider" to do "authentic ethnic" food, or to even try -- and that doesn't bother me in the least. I prefer (to paraphrase Duke Ellington): if it tastes good, it IS good.

Anyway, all the use suggestions for yellow tomatoes so far have been spot on. They ARE lower in acidity, but that can be a plus in a soup. So they need some added acid for oomph. I also find they can have a higher water content. I've been thinking of using them to make Tomato Jam, reducing the sugar some. In your chutney, did you just substitue in a red tomato recipe, or did you have a different one? I would have left in the fenugreek, but that's just my taste.

Gee, after the mentions of shortcake -- how about using peeled, seeded, chopped tomatoes (mixed with a little sugar, lemon, and whatever) instead of the strawberries? After all, botanically, tomatoes are fruits. :hmmm: Maybe I'll try it ...

Suvir, YOU are afraid to make Mexican food?  I'm shocked  :wink:  :blink:  :blink: !  I've never been there, either -- or anywhere else "foreign" lately -- but as long as there are books by Diana Kennedy, Zarela Martinez, and Patricia Quintana, I feel quite confident.  But then, I don't believe that it's possible for an "outsider" to do "authentic ethnic" food, or to even try -- and that doesn't bother me in the least.  I prefer (to paraphrase Duke Ellington): if it tastes good, it IS good.

I have to muster up the courage and do it.

Will keep both Jaymes and you posted.

Thanks for the encouragement! :biggrin:

Anyway, all the use suggestions for yellow tomatoes so far have been spot on.  They ARE lower in acidity, but that can be a plus in a soup.  So they need some added acid for oomph.  I also find they can have a higher water content.  I've been thinking of using them to make Tomato Jam, reducing the sugar some.  In your chutney, did you just substitue in a red tomato recipe, or did you have a different one?  I would have left in the fenugreek, but that's just my taste.

I used the recipe for tomato chutney as is. In fact added a little less sugar and also less red chile.

I omitted the fenugreek for I had a friend in mind who is allergic to several herbs and spices and fenugreek is one of them.

I like you would prefer it with the fenugreek. Makes for a much more complex and winning flavor.

I am attaching like to the tomato chutney recipe. Use it as it is... Add half the sugar if you want. YOu can leave the quantity as is if you want to leave the chile quantity intact.

Tomato Chutney

Gee, after the mentions of shortcake -- how about using peeled, seeded, chopped tomatoes (mixed with a little sugar, lemon, and whatever) instead of the strawberries?  After all, botanically, tomatoes are fruits.  :hmmm:  Maybe I'll try it ...

Will you let us know all about it? Cannot wait to hear how it turned out. :smile:

And yes... Tomatoes are a great fruit.. give so much savory comfort to so many of my favorite dishes.

Suvir, your tomato chutney looks amazing. I'm not a canner but that recipe might turn me into one. How do you use it?

Regarding tomato desserts, Jean-Georges' book 'Simple to Spectacular' has a recipe for roasted tomatoes stuffed with currants, orange zest, pistachios, brown sugar and ginger.

Suvir, your tomato chutney looks amazing.  I'm not a canner but that recipe might turn me into one.  How do you use it?

I have answered your question in the Tomato Chutney thread.

Do ask any questions you may have about any of those ideas or suggestions.

The chutney is a grand one. A perfect gift, a great chutney to have saved in a pantry.. and the canning process is easy. No special equipment is necessary. Just a deep pan, boiling water, bands and dome canning jars (rather inexpensive) and 20 minutes of canning once the water is at 180?F. Simple and savory.

Tomato Chutney Thread

Just had another thought: I've made tomato sorbet (sweet) with red ones; perhaps I could use yellow, with a little saffron to bump up the color.

Suvir, I hope you realize that this means hubby and I will have to eat desserts, which we almost never do. :angry: I'll have to find out where you live and dump the excess on you! :biggrin::biggrin:

BTW: when I make large batches of salsa verde, chutney, jam, etc., I just seal the stuff in sterilized jars with canning lids, and don't bother processing in a boiling water bath. But I ALWAYS keep the result in the refrigerator.

Just had another thought: I've made tomato sorbet (sweet) with red ones; perhaps I could use yellow, with a little saffron to bump up the color.

Suvir, I hope you realize that this means hubby and I will have to eat desserts, which we almost never do.  :angry:  I'll have to find out where you live and dump the excess on you!  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

BTW: when I make large batches of salsa verde, chutney, jam, etc., I just seal the stuff in sterilized jars with canning lids, and don't bother processing in a boiling water bath.  But I ALWAYS keep the result in the refrigerator.

I live in NYC.. and would be more than happy to be your dump for any kind of desserts you ever make.

It is well worth the processing in the water bath. It gives you freedom to store them at room temperature and they keep for a long LONG time.

If you are going through t he effort of making jams and chutneys, 30 minutes more would not hurt much, would it? :wink:

Maybe you want to start a thread on your salsa verde... How do you make it? :unsure:

I love salsa verde. :raz: