• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gadget making potato basket

Cookwithlove

Hi folks,

I brought this gadget use for making potato basket years ago and I took it out to

try and see wheather it work or not. It didn't succeed as it stick to the gadget(I forgot if it's the right name to call it). First attempt I shredded the potato, season with salt n pepper and squeeze out the juice and arrange in the net and closed it up and deep fry in oil I took it out when it colour but it stick. Second attempt I dip the gadget in oil and do likewise it also stick but is slightly better than the 1st attempt.

Anyone wishes to share his/her experience in making a nice potato basket using potato. Here is the picture.

Many thanks

gallery_50210_4105_79515.jpg

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

Hi folks,

I brought this gadget use for making potato basket years ago and I took it out to

try and see wheather it work or not. It didn't succeed as it stick to the gadget(I forgot if it's the right name to call it). First attempt I shredded the potato, season with salt n pepper and squeeze out the juice and arrange in the net and closed it up and deep fry in oil I took it out when it colour but it stick. Second attempt I dip the gadget in oil and do likewise it also stick but is slightly better than the 1st attempt. 

Anyone wishes to share his/her experience in making a nice potato basket using potato. Here is the picture.

Many thanks

The problem may be the potatoes.

If you are using a Russet or Yukon gold, the high starch content in them is what causes the sticking.

Try using "New" potatoes like smaller reds.

These are low in starch and what starch they do have has not fully developed.

After you shred them, rinse in water and pat them dry as best you can.

Dip basets in oil before filling with shreds.

Hi folks,

Many thanks

If you are using a Russet or Yukon gold, the high starch content in them is what causes the sticking.

Tks alot old timer for the advice. Could be the idaho potato i am using that caused the sticking. Will follow as advise and get back to u.

Edited by Cookwithlove (log)

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

Hi folks,

Many thanks

I disagree. the baskets will not hold shape well if you use a low-starch potato, also you'll sacrifice crispness. The trick to these baskets is to only slightly overlap the russet potatoes when laying them in the basket. Also, fry the basket until it's almost done and then rap the mold firmly against the side of the fryer to dislodge the basket. finish frying it without the mold.

Use russets. No rinsing.

:wink:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Probably being made of raw steel it may also benefit from being seasoned just like a wok or cast iron frying pan. A method I have used for things like this is to dip the business end in oil and leave it in a low oven for a few hours.

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

My 3rd attempts is better than the previous at least the shape of a basket formed.

I'm going to try until it's perfect. What I am going to do after shredded or slice the potato to pat it dry as what Old timer said and slightly overlap sparingly as taught by Luckliers and i am going to seasoned it like the chinese wok burnt it real red as suggested by BRM.

Sadhu the ideas.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

My 3rd attempts is better than the previous at least the shape of a basket formed.

I'm going to try until it's perfect. What I am going to do after shredded or slice the potato to pat it dry as what Old timer said and slightly overlap sparingly as taught by Luckliers and i am going to seasoned it like the chinese wok burnt it real red as suggested by BRM.

Sadhu the ideas.

try sprinkling the basket with flour before you overlap your taters. i used to make 100+ a day with this method...

Probably being made of raw steel it may also benefit from being seasoned just like a wok or cast iron frying pan.  A method I have used for things like this is to dip the business end in oil and leave it in a low oven for a few hours.

Yes, I agree, you need to season the tool. It would be better if you could keep it in hot oil for a hour at least.

Hi folks, finally I made it with some trials and error and incorporating ideas from members. Am toying what to put in to bring out the colour, any suggestion?

gallery_50210_4105_9711.jpg

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

I wonder how they would be with Krathong Thong filling. Not the traditional chicken one (which would be rather dull-looking, I think), but the lighter shrimp one with some finely diced red peppers and celery.

I think they'd be yummy on their own lightly sprinkled with salt, though....Do you ship to Japan? :wub:

I wonder how they would be with Krathong Thong filling.  Not the traditional chicken one (which would be rather dull-looking, I think), but the lighter shrimp one with some finely diced red peppers and celery. 

I think they'd be yummy on their own lightly sprinkled with salt, though....Do you ship to Japan?  :wub:

Assuming you can flatten it a little, how about a kicked-up version of Eggs Benedict, topped with some finely diced chives.

I wonder how they would be with Krathong Thong filling.  Not the traditional chicken one (which would be rather dull-looking, I think), but the lighter shrimp one with some finely diced red peppers and celery. 

I think they'd be yummy on their own lightly sprinkled with salt, though....Do you ship to Japan?  :wub:

Assuming you can flatten it a little, how about a kicked-up version of Eggs Benedict, topped with some finely diced chives.

I will take up old timer suggestion do a potatoe basket A'la egg Benedict and post here and see how it look like.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房