• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange Cooking Techniques

zoe b

Keep in mind these were the original British Mini Coopers -- not the silly German knock-offs! I drove a '62 purple Mini Moke. There were about two dozen of us.

You have become my romantic heroine in one fell swoop, Carolyn. Meatballs roasted on the open carburetor and all.

Keep up the good work. :biggrin:

There used to be a cookbook (I'm too lazy to check but I think it's out of print now) about cooking in your car's engine compartment, developed by a couple of rally drivers who loved to eat well. They had the techniques down: how to determine the proper heat source for what you were cooking, how to secure the packet so it stayed put during the drive, and how to wrap it to keep it from leaking. I think the cooking "times" were even expressed in miles driven.

I thought the book had one of the all-time best titles: "Manifold Destiny". :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've buttered a baggie, inserted an egg and herbs, tied it with a twist tie, coddled it in shimmering water and produced an amazing "poached" egg. Props to Arzak and Bourdain who described it in "Cook's Tour." It's fun.

Re Manifold Destiny: My brother Ian and his rugby buds were on an extended road and head trip for most of the seventies. They fried eggs on their manifold, and they're all alive, though prone to the occasional acid flashback.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Cooking ingredients wrapped in plastic wrap in boiling water. I think it's supposed to be a modern sub. for cooking ingredients wrapped in cloth. I've seen two such recipes prepared this way (can't lay my fingers on the sources right now): one a recipe for a French sausage, and one for a Japanese savory custard.

this is very common is restaurant cooking these days. Especially with the use of the heavy duty wrap. I've poached eggs this way, cooked sausages, poached ballotines you name it...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.