• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Used vegetable oils

tino27

I did two deep-fried items for a party I had over the weekend. I know enough to let the oil cool down to room temperature. I also know that oil can be reused several times.

So my questions are:

1) What should I filter the oil through?

2) Should I store the oil in the refrigerator? Or is a cool basement okay as well?

3) Should I let my nose be my guide to determine when the oil can no longer be reused?

4) Once the oil needs to be disposed of ... what is the best way? Even though it's vegetable oil, everything I've found on the web indicates under no certain terms should I pour it down the drain.

Granted we are talking about about a gallon or so of oil.

Thanks!

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

To dispose of oil at home, pour a few inches of cat litter in the bottom of a plastic bag, dump oil on top, let set up, throw out.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I have filtered through a paper coffee filter but found an item that worked even better. The paper coffee filter was too slow. I had this strainer like those non disposable coffee filters that was used to strain yogurt. More of a fine mesh. Works great. I store in a jar in the cabinet. My mom always had a jar in the fridge. I have heard that off smells from seafood can be dealt with by frying some potatoes prior to storing. The potatoes are suppose to absorb the odors. I did some squid last month and have fried other things in the same oil without any off flavors. Squid cooks so fast. Your nose will tell you if it's too smelly from previous foods or if it's rancid. You can't hide rancid