• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special Request

CathyH

I'll be in Paris for another 6 months and then we'll move somewhere else. Our household goods will take up to 2 months to travel to our next destination. I've seen various compendiums of food stuff that travelers take home and while they are very helpful, I'd like to expand on them since I'll have space in my shipment to send additional items.

I'd like to know what I should stock up on to ship to our next home. Things like Herbs de Provence, balsamic vinegar, and italian olive oils. Do you have any suggestions? We've got wine covered and have at least 200 bottles of wine to ship from our various outings to the wine countries ;)

Secondly, I'd like to pick up some French cookbooks (written in French) both classic and new. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for but I'm steering away from Larousse Gastronomic. I want recipes for things I can prepare at home with non-professional skills that are outstanding in their own right. For example, although I'm not a great cook -- I stick to lasagna and other easy to prepare meals when left alone -- I do follow recipes from the following books and always end up with fantastic results.

- Joy of Cooking

- Bouchon by Thomas Keller

- Julia Child's Mastering French Cooking

- Death by Chocolate by Marcel Desaulniers

What do you recommend? I will at least pick up at least one of Pierre Herme's dessert books.

Edited by CathyH (log)

Cathy,

Why stop at the PH books? I stock up on his chocolates when I'm in Paris. As well as Christine Ferbier preserves both the ones made espressly for Pierre and her regular ones (picked up at bon marche or galleries lafayette).

Also if you like it, a jar or two or confiture de lait, as it might not be so easily found where you're going!

Run, don't walk, to Librairie Gourmande on rue Dante in the 5th. The shop people are knowledgeable and delightful and the stock is incredible.

While I prefer to trade with the independents, FNAC also has a fine cookbook selection.

Between the two, I always carry home 5 kilos of books from France. :laugh:

eGullet member #80.

Run, don't walk, to Librairie Gourmande on rue Dante in the 5th.  The shop people are knowledgeable and delightful and the stock is incredible. 

While I prefer to trade with the independents, FNAC also has a fine cookbook selection. 

Between the two, I always carry home 5 kilos of books from France.  :laugh:

I totally agree with Margaret.

For some great American cooks, I prefer Keller's The French Laundry to his other text, which you have listed. Keller's greatest strength as a great chef is best illustrated in his first book at least IMO.

There are other excellent more modern texts by American cooks that deserve your attention! One very special book issued this year, is Michel Richard's, Happy in the Kitchen. Also an older, and very wise text is Jeremiah Tower COOKS, by Jeremiah Tower. This remarkable cookbook features the best roasted chicken I have ever tasted and prepared. It also includes many remarkable recipes that are memorable. I think Keller's, The French Laundry and Jeremiah Tower's, COOKS are books, that provide great contemptorary recipes inspired by European cooks.

The list is very long and can go on forever. Don't forget to buy the best of the French chefs including, Bras, Roellinger, and Veyrat.

Just a few ideas that might entice you to reconsider your choices. Judith Gebhart

A contribution from Paris's hottest chef (this week featured in both A Nous Paris + Pariscope) - Daniel Rose of Spring - who says he gets his inspiration from David Rosengarten, Joel Dean, and Giorgio Deluca's "Dean & Deluca Cookbook." Not a French book admittedly but under $5 from Amazon for a used copy.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I'd like to pick up some French cookbooks (written in French) both classic and new. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for but I'm steering away from Larousse Gastronomic. I want recipes for things I can prepare at home with non-professional skills that are outstanding in their own right

I have enjoyed Christian Constant's "Ma Cuisine au Quotidien" in French or if you prefer the English version it is called "Everyday French Cooking".

His wife Catherine told me that even she can make these recipes work.

I recommend Philippe Delacourcelle's three books: Ma cuisine à fleur d'épices (Solar), Cuisines et Influences (Viénot) and Le Gibier en cuisine (Minerva). Original recipes from this Loire-born chef with a solid training in French cuisine (he worked with Loiseau) and a long experience of Asian spices and ingredients. Philippe, by the way, is chef of Le Pré Verre (Paris).

All the recipes are simple and easy, stylish and fragrant. They can easily be considered everyday recipes. It's modern, un-self-conscious cooking with an Asian twist, more in the ingredients than in the preparations, which remain classically French.

And if you can find anything by Paulette Buteux or Louisette Bertholle (only as used books), go for it.

I haven't seriously checked into my favorite French cookbooks but I'll come up with something.