• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Pig Fresh Ham

Bill Miller

A friend brought me one.  We thought about brining and roasting.  Maybe stuffing with garlic colves and vegis and braising in cheesecloth overnite? Any ideas would be welcome.

I would certainly brine. Wild pig can taste a little bit "off" depending upon what the pig was eating all its life and its age. Roasting is the way to go, as well. Sounds like you have a good plan, but I am sure that others that have more experience than I will chime in with suggestions.

A friend brought me one.  We thought about brining and roasting.  Maybe stuffing with garlic colves and vegis and braising in cheesecloth overnite? Any ideas would be welcome.

I would certainly brine. Wild pig can taste a little bit "off" depending upon what the pig was eating all its life and its age. Roasting is the way to go, as well. Sounds like you have a good plan, but I am sure that others that have more experience than I will chime in with suggestions.

Wild pig can acquire a gamey flavor.

In the past, I have used a milk marinade (allowing the meat to soak overnight in plain milk in the refrigerator.) This removed most of the gamey taste and allowed the meat to absorb moisture.

Afterward, I coated the meat with a good homemade dry rub and roasted it.

It was very good.