• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me save my pound cakes...

Domestic Goddess

My korean best friend gave me three pound cakes from the local Tous Les Jour bakery chain yesterday. One was chocolate, the other fruit cake and the last orange pound cake. We opened the chocolate cake and found it was too dry to enjoy it. There was not enough chocolate flavor and the fact that it was embedded with chocolate chips, didn't help the flavor aspect at all. Like I said, to quote my hubby from Kentucky, "It was dry as a popcorn fart". I have a gut feeling that the other two cakes are about as dry as the chocolate one.

Is there a way to rescue these cakes?

Drown them in rum? in syrup?

Steam them until they drown in moisture?

Or sigh.... Cut up and make biscotti?

I really don't wanna do the last resort. Or chuck them to the trash bin. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

My korean best friend gave me three pound cakes from the local Tous Les Jour bakery chain yesterday. One was chocolate, the other fruit cake and the last orange pound cake. We opened the chocolate cake and found it was too dry to enjoy it. There was not enough chocolate flavor and the fact that it was embedded with chocolate chips, didn't help the flavor aspect at all. Like I said, to quote my hubby from Kentucky, "It was dry as a popcorn fart".  I have a gut feeling that the other two cakes are about as dry as the chocolate one.

Is there a way to rescue these cakes?

Drown them in rum? in syrup?

Steam them until they drown in moisture?

Or sigh.... Cut up and make biscotti?

I really don't wanna do the last resort. Or chuck them to the trash bin. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Juice of an orange, juice of a lemon, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup dark rum. Boil to a syrup. Place cake in a loaf pan, run a skewer through the cake to make holes for the syrup and pour syrup over it.

Kerry and Tweety - Thank you, thank you, thank you! I definitely would do both of your suggestions. Off to buy rum, oranges and lemons. I have the custard and jam in the fridge already. You guys are great!

Alana - I think my family would enjoy that too, french toast. Off to look for french toast recipes...