• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weird Chinese snacks?

hzrt8w

Haw flakes are also a favorite snack in the Philippines. We would play pretend mass and use the haw flakes as communion hosts. Talk about being sacrilegious Catholics.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

2. slice of raw ginger dunked in honey and chewed on

This is a wonderful idea! Ginger and sugar/honey would go very well together. I will try this sometimes!

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I've had this at a Korean imperial-style multicourse restaurant using ginseng instead of ginger... thin slices, thick honey, and surprisingly refreshing.

2. slice of raw ginger dunked in honey and chewed on

This is a wonderful idea! Ginger and sugar/honey would go very well together. I will try this sometimes!

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

How about sweet/salty/sour: chun pei yuen - boogers - tiny, tiny cubes of orange peel in the little bottles.

The kids always called them boogers, and they loved to gross out their Canadian friends. :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

How about sweet/salty/sour: chun pei yuen - boogers - tiny, tiny cubes of orange peel in the little bottles.

The kids always called them boogers, and they loved to gross out their Canadian friends.

OMG hahahaha I remember those....geez they gross out most people not just westerners, haha I went to a chinese school, and still grossed out my classmates who are chinese! LOL

weird chinese snacks, I guess technically almost all chinese snacks are weird...coz everytime I bring a snack to work, my co-workers cringe in amazement with what I brought it, they said they felt like they were in the "eating" portion of fear factor. hahaha :laugh:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

How about sweet/salty/sour: chun pei yuen - boogers - tiny, tiny cubes of orange peel  in the little bottles.

Indeed. I think the "official" street name for those in Hong Kong is bei see. No no, no translation will be provided. :raz:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Haw flakes are also a favorite snack in the Philippines. We would play pretend mass and use the haw flakes as communion hosts. Talk about being sacrilegious Catholics.

We did that, too! Glad to know we weren't the only heathens out there. :smile:

(I actually once snuck a host from church, just to see what it was like, and my pain-in-the-ass sister snitched on me, resulting in the worst scolding of my life. I don't think I ever used a haw flake as a host again...And my sister is still a pain in the ass!)

Edited by prasantrin (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, ever tried japanese Konbu? You can snack on the plain Konbu or the one I prefer is Umeboshi-Konbu. Sun dried Japanese seaweed seasoned with Japanese plum paste.

My grandma used to snack on 'pan' in Hindi or 'Kapor serei' in malay. Anyone hear or know it? I think the older generation in malaysia's nyonya community still eats it but it is very well known in India. :cool: