• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GRISTEDES coming to Northern NJ

dodge621

How can Gristedes possibly compete with the supermarkets in North Jersey? I guess they'll be pursuing a completely different strategy and store design.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm not familiar with Gristedes. What NJ supermarket would you compare it to?

I don't know. What's supermarkets do they have in downtown Newark and Trenton?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm not familiar with Gristedes. What NJ supermarket would you compare it to?

I would put it in the same league as Kings. As far as Dagastinos there was one in Montvale a few yeasrs ago and went out of business in less than a year. I think that they are owned by A&P( they used the same bonus card).

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

As far as Dagastinos there was one in Montvale a few yeasrs ago and went out of business in less than a year. I think that they are owned by A&P( they used the same bonus card).

Don't think so.. unless they've sold the chain, I've always heard it was a family owned concern. Less than 30 stores I think.

Besides... here's what A&P claims to own...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"