• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fabulous Food Trails

Good reviews coming in on Saba. The chef used to work in Diep Le Shaker, but Saba is a more "real" less glitzy place. Good authentic food without the emphasis on cocktails. They don't have a full bar licence yet, but even when they get it, I'm not sure cocktails will feature as much; it's a bit more grown-up.

I haven't been on the food trail, but they seem to be fun. How much do they cost?

Andy - the Galway and Connemara tour? I'm jealous...

Corinna - our "tour" starts at 9:30 with breakfast, moves on to a food demo (which may be more or less interactive, I'm not sure), and then a trip to Asia Market and then an Irish food shop (for advice as to how to substitute if the thai ingredients aren't available) then back to Saba for lunch & more cooking, I think... costs €150pp. Which I suppose isn't bad.

The Galway and other trips, with all the transport etc involved, are more expensive, but then I suppose they're all inclusive and the best of everything, so they could be a good way of treating oneself. Andy could comment on whether he thought it was good value.

Just had our office canteen's version of a thai soup, looking forward to Sunday's.

I had as sort of condensed version of the trail as part of a press trip so its a bit difficult to judge in terms of value for money, but I would say that you probably wouldn't get the sort of access to people and places they can arrange by yourself.

Yes, I've heard Ard Bia is good. Never been there - I usually just power on through Galway to get to the crab sandwiches at Vaughans in Roundstone.

I think you're right, there's no relation to anything you could put together for yourself, so value for money is very much a relative concept.

I'm clearly an example of one person who would happily fork over €150 for almost a full "work" day of access to one of the best Thai chefs in Ireland. And they're selling out, according to their website (10 per trail, max), so I'm not the only one!

Wonder how they'd feel about photos...

Yes, Ard Bia has got the formula right. It was the winner of the Food & Wine Connacht Best Restaurant Award this year. They make great use of artisan and speciality producers and also the fresh local and seasonal thing. More restaurants in Ireland are starting to move in this direction, The Winding Stair in Dublin being a prime example. It takes more time and organisation than using a big supplier, but it's worth the extra trouble.

Just to fill you all in, went to the Thai Day on Sunday, and had a great time. The chef at Saba, Tao, is a wonderful teacher - very patient and kind, and we made such delicious things!

I'd definitely recommend this. It would be good to do in a big group.. And definitely go hungry, though.

Mais les prix sont (un peu) exagérés!!

Has anybody any experiences, even second hand, of the 3 day weekends - from €2,500 for a couple raises pretty high expectations.

The FAQs say "Each evening we will offer you some carefully selected wines with dinner. A range of wines or drinks will also be available for you to purchase" - this may be careless wording but seems to say that you have to put your hand into your pocket if you want to drink some wine.

My feeling would be that your drinks with dinner would be included... why don't you email them to check? The Coyle sisters, who run it, are very nice and approachable, and would be happy to clarify!