• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Impression Mats for Gingerbread House Walls

tim

Hi Pastry Professionals,

I have been looking for years for impression mats for gingerbread. It is easy to find the 3" X 6" plastic mats with rock and brick patterns. I would like to find a larger mats, maybe 9" X 11 in.

I have seen them on TV being used by Jacques Torres. Just don't know where they might be purchased.

A decent mat might make a house like this a lot easier to construct.

roof.jpg

Thanks,

Tim

I Googled "brick impression mat" and came up with quite a few sources, including Sugarcraft (where I could not find an image of the mat) and Cake Art (here) where I could.

EDIT: Of course, these are still the smaller-sized mats, but it might put you on the path to the full-sized mat.

Edited by BekkiM (log)
Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

These that BekkiM referenced could be mounted on a piece of foamcore board or something with double back tape. Since the pattern runs over the edges there. Or you could just line them all up on the gingerbread and use a rolling pin for even pressure. Just re-use the pattern?? You get 5 for ten bucks. If you got two sets man you could imprint some mansions.