• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help with a decoration

oli

I am going to replicate the Chocolate Stout Cake mentioned a while back with the bottle cap decoration. I would like to know that if I pour regular melted white chocolate over a bottle cap, then refrigerate it, will it separate from the metal cap without a problem? Any tips appreciated. I will have to visit a bar where there is supposed to be a bunch of tops so I can do them all at once instead of one at a time.

Thanks

I am going to replicate the Chocolate Stout Cake mentioned a while back with the bottle cap decoration.  I would like to know that if I pour regular melted white chocolate over a bottle cap, then refrigerate it, will it separate from the metal cap without a problem?  Any tips appreciated.  I will have to visit a bar where there is supposed to be a bunch of tops so I can do them all at once instead of one at a time.

Thanks

Better if you temper it. See demo here. Use the same temperatures as for milk chocolate.

I'm the person who made the chocolate stout cake with the bottle caps.

Link here.

To make my bottle caps I used white modeling chocolate. I only needed one bottle cap and no tempering needed.

I rolled out the modeling chocolate and used a round cutter to cut a size close to what I needed.

I then pressed each round into the inverted bottle cap lined with plastic wrap. I lifted up on the plastic wrap to pop each "cap" out. I then refrigerated the caps, and then painted them with gold powder mixed with vodka. Then I popped them back in the fridge to harden again, and when the cake was ready, I stuck 'em on. Easy.

Link here.

To make my bottle caps I used white modeling chocolate. I only needed one bottle cap and no tempering needed.

I rolled out the modeling chocolate and used a round cutter to cut a size close to what I needed.

I then pressed each round into the inverted bottle cap lined with plastic wrap. I lifted up on the plastic wrap to pop each "cap" out. I then refrigerated the caps, and then painted them with gold powder mixed with vodka. Then I popped them back in the fridge to harden again, and when the cake was ready, I stuck 'em on. Easy.

That is a really neat effect that you achieved with the bottle caps. Great gold coverage with the powder.

Link here.

Gee, that was great idea of putting in on the inside as to my idea of using the outside.

Thanks

I then pressed each round into the inverted bottle cap lined with plastic wrap. I lifted up on the plastic wrap to pop each "cap" out.

Plastic wrap! I loved how you decorated your cake and wanted to make one with the gold bottle caps. I happened to have modeling chocolate, so I thought I was all set. I didn't think of using plastic wrap and I couldn't get a clean-looking bottle cap. I abandoned the bottle caps after several failed attempts and ended up making a Guinness harp out of tempered chocolate and painting with the gold lustre dust and vodka. Thanks for the tip and bringing this delicious cake to our attention. I've already had several requests to make this cake again.

Link here.

If I don't have Vodka, can I use any other alcohol?