• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delicious, not too calorific, snacks...

zoe b

I made chocolate dipped pretzel rods last night--i think they are a perfect snack--you get sweet, creamy, crunchy and salty all in one--and they aren't too bad for you--maybe too much salt, but otherwise ok.

I used Utz pretzels--they are a PA company, I believe, and Ghirardelli chocolate chips--the 60% cacao ones which are dark and not too sweet.

what do you like for a snack? and i'm not counting fruit here--as much as i love it, it only works to hold off the snack attack for about a half hour.

My girlfriend is on a HUGE roasted marshmallow kick. According to her, 4 marshmallows are 90 calories... and four marshmallows tend to stick in the stomach pretty well, beside being just that lovely toasty-creamy-sweet-sticky combination.

You just have to convince yourself to forego the entire S'more experience!

"Give it to Neil. I'll bet he'll eat it."

ohhh--marshmallows--good idea--it was a happy day when I learned you could make s'mores in the mic.

I'll have to see if plain marshmallows do it for me--they unfortunately also bring on the urge for very strong hot chocolate with not much sugar in it and as many marshmellows melting on top as will fit.

In the ready to eat category, a couple of yogurt companies have flavors which are too sweet for breakfast, but I like for a snack or dessert.

Stonyfield Farms "Caramel Underground"; Yoplait has their line called Sabor Latino which had tropical-type fruit flavors but recently added Dulce de Leche and Horchata (almond-cinnamon). Yummy. They are under 200 calories per container.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I have always loved smoothies (fruit ones are my fav...so lucious)...and although I do get them when I am out and about, you never really know what is going into them (ice-cream, syrups, loads of sugar), and if you do know (ask them, have the ingredients, etc...) I bet you would be surprised to find out how fast those ingredients add up. Even a small 12 or 16 oz FFRUIT smoothie is likely 400-800 calories, and I always get the 24oz or 32 oz'ers...yeah that can equal up to 800-1600 calories....I am NOT exagerating or joking either.

Like I said, I still get these when my body wants one...but when making at home all you need it fruit, ice, and a liquid. You can add in frozen yogart regular yogart, milk, soy products or milk or whatever if you want it more creamyish.

I make ones like this often, and I usually change up the fruits so that whatever I have on hand can go in (yes mix a variety of fruits, its great that way)

I often enjoy fresh or frozen strawberries or blueberries with a fresh orange. A little orange or apple juice so that it can puree/blend, and ice.

If you go with frozen fruits or partially frozen (a fresh fruit with a frozen variety) you dont have to use as much ice.

If its not sweet enough add a little honey, splenda, or sugar...whatever you prefer.

Frozen pineapples are also great, as are frozen cherries and bananas. Play with the ingredients...I have never made a smoothie that i havent loved. But I do find that I have favorite concocktions (sp?).

Also, making at home you can make it thicker or thinner for you preference. Also, if you want it more icy you can add more ice, if not fruity add more fruit, if more creamy add more milk/yogart....

And, when I make a smoothie with ice, an orange, a cup or so of frozen berries (no sugar added), a little (like 1/3 cup) orange juice and splenda with a heaping spoonful or two of yogart it ends of bring about:

Ice = no calories

Orange = 80 calories

Frozen berries no sugar added , one cup= 70 calories

1/3 cup OJ = 40 calories

spoon of yogurt = 20 calories

splenda = no calories

TOTAL = 210 calories and this makes 3 full glasses full

And, lots of fiber 8 grams about (4 grams for orange, 4 for berries,)

Virtually fat free almost!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!