• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DIY Fruit puree

sote23

I just got back from Hawaii and wanted to make some fruit puree on my own. has anyone made their own home made fruit puree? any tips or suggestions?

Luis

I cook the fruit just long enough to make it easy to put through the food mill. Cooking it a bit also inactivates the enzymes that encourage spoilage, like blanching veg before freezing. Then into the freezer in appropriate sized containers. When I'm ready to use it I sometimes simmer it to concentrate depending on what I'm using it for.

• Like 1

I just got back from Hawaii and wanted to make some fruit puree on my own. has anyone made their own home made fruit puree? any tips or suggestions?

Luis

I cook the fruit just long enough to make it easy to put through the food mill. Cooking it a bit also inactivates the enzymes that encourage spoilage, like blanching veg before freezing. Then into the freezer in appropriate sized containers. When I'm ready to use it I sometimes simmer it to concentrate depending on what I'm using it for.

do you add anything else to it , like sugar etc?

Luis

I generally don't unless it's a fruit that seems to need the extra preservation of some sugar. I tend to use the purees for chocolate centres and I generally don't want any extra sugar.

Luis

I generally don't unless it's a fruit that seems to need the extra preservation of some sugar. I tend to use the purees for chocolate centres and I generally don't want any extra sugar.

i agree, I don't want any extra sugar either. I know it varies by fruit, but how much puree is used, say in a recipe that calls for kiwi for example. I'm also assuming that you use some sort of strainer.

Edited by sote23 (log)

Luis

i agree, I don't want any extra sugar either. I know it varies by fruit, but how much puree is used, say in a recipe that calls for kiwi for example.

What sort of recipe? Truffle, praline filling?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Luis

i agree, I don't want any extra sugar either. I know it varies by fruit, but how much puree is used, say in a recipe that calls for kiwi for example.

What sort of recipe? Truffle, praline filling?

it will be for a truffle.

So looking at a recipe for raspberry truffle centres I put together, I started with 500 g berries, made puree, concentrated it to about 100 g or so, added cream to make 200 g. Added 650 g white chocolate, 50 g butter, 25 g glucose, 15 g raspberry schnapps.

My frais de bois/verjus truffles are 75 g frais de bois puree, 15 g freeze dried strawberry powder, 1/2 cup verjus concentrated to 1 tbsp, 165 g white choc, 45 g cream, 10 g glucose, 15 g butter.

I tend to like fruit in praline centres rather than truffles though, cause I can get a stronger, truer fruit flavour, which I prefer.

So looking at a recipe for raspberry truffle centres I put together, I started with 500 g berries, made puree, concentrated it to about 100 g or so, added cream to make 200 g.  Added 650 g white chocolate, 50 g butter, 25 g glucose, 15 g raspberry schnapps. 

My frais de bois/verjus truffles are 75 g frais de bois puree, 15 g freeze dried strawberry powder, 1/2 cup verjus concentrated to 1 tbsp, 165 g white choc, 45 g cream, 10 g glucose, 15 g butter.

I tend to like fruit in praline centres rather than truffles though, cause I can get a stronger, truer fruit flavour, which I prefer.

thanks for the help kerry.

Luis

i really have to caution against cooking kiwi at all... flavor is blechhh! very bitter/sour, none of the aromatics from fresh are left. better to dry in a low temp dehydrator maybe, until chewy and no longer too wet, rather than reduce a puree with heat..