• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoboken Chinese

finnfann

Ever since Front Page in Hoboken closed last month (for renovations, to reopen as a sushi-only spot, because we need more of them), I can't bring myself to order Chinese food. We've been order FP since they opened 14 or so years ago. I tried searching the NJ forum for any thoughts on Hoboken Chinese food and the only thing I came up with in the past 18 months was my husband's recommendation of Front Page and Markk's comment that the Chinese food in town is all too sweet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other places to try? A poll on a Hoboken based website had Precious and Hoboken Cottage as the top vote getters, but the voters are not necessarily eGers, so I thought I'd ask you.

Thanks.

The chinese food at precious is good, altough I have only ordered from them once the food was good and delivery was relatively quick.

Ever since Front Page in Hoboken closed last month (for renovations, to reopen as a sushi-only spot, because we need more of them), I can't bring myself to order Chinese food.  We've been order FP since they opened 14 or so years ago.  I tried searching the NJ forum for any thoughts on Hoboken Chinese food and the only thing I came up with in the past 18 months was my husband's recommendation of Front Page and Markk's comment that the Chinese food in town is all too sweet. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for other places to try?  A poll on a Hoboken based website had Precious and Hoboken Cottage as the top vote getters, but the voters are not necessarily eGers, so I thought I'd ask you.

Thanks.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart (to say nothing of plaque in my arteries) for the Chinos y Comidos (sp?) joint on Washington between 2nd & 3rd, at least the one that existed when I lived in Hoboken in the mid-1970s. It was awful but filling, a guilty pleasure if ever there was one.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Yeah, Precious and Hoboken Cottage (same owner) are probably the better ones in town, with Precious being a bit more 'upscale' than Hoboken Cottage.

A third choice would be Off the Wall, although i find myself ordering more sushi (from Precious) these days than chinese.

Exactly Tommy. I hate when people post irrelevant comments like that. I have been looking for decent Indian food near my home in Monmouth county and everyone says Oh why not go to Moghul in Edison. I have been there, its great, but it isn't what I asked for!

On topic, when I lived in Hoboken and then in Weehawken, the best was pretty much Precious, but it has been a couple of years since we moved out.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I tried searching the NJ forum for any thoughts on Hoboken Chinese food and the only thing I came up with in the past 18 months was my husband's recommendation of Front Page and Markk's comment that the Chinese food in town is all too sweet. 

If all I said was that the Chinese food in town was too sweet, then I must have been in a very generous mood. It's all sickeningly sweet glop. I've tried most of the places in Hoboken, with only horribility to report. Rancid fried tastes, ridiculously sweet dishes, and just overall goo. I can't even tell you any places with safe dishes to order. The "Szechuan" and "Hunan" dishes all taste like dessert no matter where you get them, and the "Cantonese" dishes are pretty much a cross between bad airline food and bad school-cafeteria food. I can name 8 restaurants off the top of my head there that these comments apply to (but I'm not going to), but you may have to do without, as I do. It got to the point that I started to do without, if the craving for Chinese food hit me and I wanted to stay local.

Sorry.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

With Manhattan (and Chinatown) just minutes away, why suffer with Jersey Chinese food?

oh, do they deliver to hoboken?

Doubtful, but someone living in Bergen told me he goes to NYC all the time for certain types of restaurants and food, at least a 45 min drive, not including traffic and parking. Hoboken is a 7 minute PATH ride.

It's not irrelevant, its just a fact. Jersey Chinese food sucks.

Thanks for the feedback. We wound up ordering from Precious and a place called Asia, selected because the menu was so similar to Front Page's menu the my husband was convinced it was the same owner (he was wrong). We ordered a few basics from each place so we could compare. While Precious was way better than Asia, it was not as good as Front Page (sigh). The chicken & broccoli wasn't bad, but the pork dumplings left quite a bit to be desired. It took longer to arrive than Front Page would have and longer than Asia did, and the portions were not as big. The c&b from Asia was pretty awful, and the dumplings, well, why bother?

And to answer the question as to why I wouldn't just go to Chinatown, Chinese is a convenience food for this busy family, one that is fresh, cheap and involves multiple food groups (note, I did not say "healthy"). We know that if we don't have the time or energy to cook, it will be on the table in 20 minutes (okay, 40 in the case of Precious). I'm sure we'll try Precious again, and maybe keep looking around.

IMO, Precious is the best of the bunch, and our choice for local delivery Chinese. I don't think any of the Chinese in Hoboken is anything special, but Precious is serviceable, consistent and the service (i.e. delivery time, accuracy) is always good.

They actually use a computer system for orders (pull up your address based on your phone #), and they have that I always ask for Fresh Mustard (instead of the packets) in my profile. So now, even if I forget to order the fresh mustard, they'll ask me if I want it.